• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A1 Cab -> A0 Chassis Swap

yertnamreg

The truck is finally home! Yesterday me and a buddy drove out to the yard where I did the swap, got her ready to drive, and drove it about 25 miles into downtown Houston in rush hour traffic. It was hot and the fan scared the **** out of me the first time it turned on, but it made it without any issues! Just in case, I purchased a one-trip permit which serves as temporary registration for 15 days. You can buy these online (if you're in Texas) and they're only $10. IMO it's cheap insurance if you get pulled over. Towing and impound for one of these would be stupid expensive.

I spent today working to get it ready for it's safety inspection. Found a gotcha and some other information I'd like to share:

Turn Signals:
If you have your dash half assembled cause you're working on stuff and your turn signals don't work, it's because the hazard light switch isn't connected. I was surprised to learn this needs to be plugged in for your turn signals to work.

Keys:
My nice new cab has the upgraded door handles, but didn't come with keys. I did some research and saw that people were taking the handle/lock assembly out of the door and taking it to their locksmith. I found a better way...

Look at the lock cylinder from outside and note the letters/numbers on the cylinder. This is the code for the key you need. I found a place online where I could order the keys.
https://www.easykeys.com/753_TriMark_TM201-TM250_Lock_Keys.aspx
They came in the mail in a few days and work great!
IMG_20180224_133150.jpg

Clearance Lights:
The A1 cab uses a rectangular 2 pin connector for the clearance lights which is marked P312.
IMG_20180224_175936.jpg
On the A0 cab the clearance lights are hooked up to TB1 using quick connects. I ended up cutting off the P312 connector and crimping quick connects onto the wires. Plugged it in just like it was before and it worked like a charm.
IMG_20180224_172729.jpg

Reflectors:
Some of my reflectors were cracked and all of them were showing their age, so I decided to replace them. I looked at some of the military surplus dealers, but eventually found their source muahahaha. The reflectors can be bought unfinished or pre-painted. You can find part numbers here:
http://www.grote.com/family/steel-two-hole-mounting-reflector/?prodcat=reflectors

I ended up ordering mine from finditparts.com for about $3 a piece!

yertnamreg

I finally got the no-start issue figured out. There are 2 sets of connectors in the drivers side dash that are physically interchangeable. JP31/JP31x and JP43/JP43X. If you don't read the identifications tags on these it is easy to get them mixed up when you're reinstalling them. Swapping them made the pushbutton start work, and I don't think any vehicle systems were damaged with the connectors swapped.

Air Senders Part 2:
I didn't really like how the air pressure senders were just hanging out (literally) under my dash. The ground setup was poor and the potential for a wire to break high. I ended up deciding to move them over to the treadle valve where the push connect lines they were hooked to came from. I took off the adapters from the previous install and instead used a 3/8" NPT Female to 1/4" NPT Male adapter.
https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/69899

Remove the small push connect fittings from the treadle valve and thread your sender+adapter in. This does make the sender stick out toward your knee, but I feel there's plenty of room available still. I'll get some pictures of this soon...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks