• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A1R Ether start

Primussucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi fine folks..

I'm in the process of deleting my air over hydraulic system (going with the single manual hand pump instead), and removing the spare tire carrier. I'm building a camper.

To remove the tire carrier the TM (and all the nuts and bolts tell me) that I need to remove the ether start system. Thats fine.. but my question is...

On my A1R, i have the ether start system, but I don't have a switch in the cab. I'd like to just delete it all anyway, since I will be installing the cat block heater. What all is involved with deleting the ether start stuff, all the way back to the engine? (i can't peak at the engine right now since the cab is lowered and i have no hydraulics).

Thank you.

Ronmar

On the A1R the ECU automatically controls the ether application based on what its sensors see. As for deleting it. Simply remove the nozzles from the intake manifold and install plugs, remove the hose and unplug and remove the ether canister and valve…

Primussucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the A1R the ECU automatically controls the ether application based on what its sensors see. As for deleting it. Simply remove the nozzles from the intake manifold and install plugs, remove the hose and unplug and remove the ether canister and valve…
Excellent! Thanks Ronmar

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would keep it. The ether in the A1r is used at about 40f and below. Your truck will not turn on the grid heater prior to truck start when it is planning to use ether. So even with a block heater....good luck.
I would do whatever you can to keep it as we don't have manual control of ether/grid on A1r trucks (and I haven't seen programming options for them in cat et)

Primussucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would keep it. The ether in the A[emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]r is used at about [emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]f and below. Your truck will not turn on the grid heater prior to truck start when it is planning to use ether. So even with a block heater....good luck.
I would do whatever you can to keep it as we don't have manual control of ether/grid on A[emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]r trucks (and I haven't seen programming options for them in cat et)
Good info. Thank you
I’m sure I can find a spot for it.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would keep it. The ether in the A1r is used at about 40f and below. Your truck will not turn on the grid heater prior to truck start when it is planning to use ether. So even with a block heater....good luck.
I would do whatever you can to keep it as we don't have manual control of ether/grid on A1r trucks (and I haven't seen programming options for them in cat et)
Ether is used below about 20F actually. You can tell when it's activated because the grid heater will NOT turn on (don't want to blow the intake off the engine) when the ECM selects ether. Once the engine fires the grid heater comes back into play to warm up the engine.

The C7 will typically start regardless with enough cranking. A friend of mine has a C7 truck in Wyoming that had no grid heater or ether last winter and it started - just wasn't real happy about it.

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm almost positive its 40F, I saw this documented in the manuals some where but can't find it right now. I'm in WI and got to experience this a lot last winter as well. It certainly works well too, when it gets cold enough to use ether the truck starts up very quickly.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hhhhmmm. I'm in Portland, OR and the weather here rarely touches the ether temp on my truck. Typically I am waiting for the intake heater light to go out. This was a 17F ether start last winter. You can see that the intake heater light is out before I crank it and I got the black ether smoke: