• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A2 Canvas Top

AIE1

I'm considering purchasing an A2 canvas top. I have not found any sources of NOS. Would like to get some opinions on sources or your experiences with the quality of venders after market canvas. The A2 I restored is an early 70's and I would like to find the single window canvas.
TIA

AIE1

Scott,

Thanks for getting back to me, I'll check them out. I found some old invoices on my canvas seats, WeeBee did them. I'll go back and see how many arms and legs they want for a cover.

Regards

quickfarms

In the past I have used Beachwood and I now have surplus city canvas on the jeep

I do not know if surplus city has canvas for the duece.

Look into beachwood, they are in new jersey.

AIE1

Quickfarm,

How happy are you with the quality of canvas from Surplus city? I have used beachwood before, they did some M66 ring mount back cushions in recent years, but their website is confusing, at least to me.
I must say, that SS is a much better site then some others that I have visited.
Thanks guys for all your help!

Regards

quickfarms

The surplus city jeep top is great and I have now issues with it.

I did, do, have two issues with the jeep seat covers.

The firs issue is that they did no include the hardware, screws and washers, even though they were part of the package. They did send them separately but they were chrome. I ordered the correct black screws and washers from MacMaster Carr.

The second issue is that the foam can be seen at the bottom of the seat cover due to the fact that the cover has the same bottom flap as the one attaced to the springs. All that you have to do is tuck the foam in. It would be nice if they extented the flap several inches to cover the foam.

All said I am ver happy in their canvas.

My csnvas is about 5 years old and looks great.

AIE1

Thanks very much for the info on surplus city, a little research and it appears the best price I have found is surplus city canvas for a 151. The seats canvas that came from WeeBee, I have no complants whats so ever. They have been on the jeep now for about two years now and still have that mil canvas smell. What started this thread was looking for experence with some of the vendor's work. Being now on a fixed income, I have to shop around and try to fine best bang for the cash. My last question is, will mil spec. canvas sides fit or have the correct attachment points on the surplus city canvas?? Again I have nothing bad to say about WeeBee or Beachwood, both experences have been very good, other than ones website.
You also make a very good statement "MacMasters Carr", I have also used those folks products, they have a huge selection of rubber grommets and adel clamps. I purchased a number of items in the restoration of my A2 from them.
Thanks for the comments guys!
Regards!

toptiger

The A-2 wasn't issued with canvas seats or top, just vinyl, should you care and want to be historically correct. Mine have vinyl but I wish they were canvas, especially the seats, much more comfortable.

AIE1

Top,
I beg to differ with you, the unit I was with in 1970 had canvas. Did they come org with canvas, I can't say. Canvas was in the system, so vinyl or canvas is historically correct. Not to get away from my org thread comparing canvas, but as a young paratrooper right from jump school landing in the 82nd ABN, FNGs were assigned as drivers, I know what was under my xxs besides the butter bars sitting next to me.
Regards

toptiger

You may be right, BUT........an early 1970 Ford 'A2' in 1970? Really?? Was this stateside or in VN? I thought they all went to VN
They had the flat front fenders, new A-2 suspension, but were hard to tell apart from the A-1s and the A-1s had canvas. You sure?
1971 was when the first A-2s came out with the rounded fenders, and I believe, with vinyl. But, you may be right.
Like I said I wish mine had canvas seats, and I may order some for the A-2 with the windshield down, but of course you can do whatever you want on your jeep. Its yours.
Regards,
an A-1 O-3

nattieleather

The A-2 wasn't issued with canvas seats or top, just vinyl, should you care and want to be historically correct. Mine have vinyl but I wish they were canvas, especially the seats, much more comfortable.
I had in my posession for many years a government issued M151A2 Cavas top. The first group of M151A2s that rolled off the assembly line did in fact have canvas tops. Vinyl was switched to shortly there after and this is why canvas A2 tops are as rare as hens teeth.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks