• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A3 height?

steelandcanvas

Isn't that info in the -10 operators manual?
the data plate posted by drgreg clearly showed the answers, just as the -10 operators manual does.
Yes, but we are considered rude if we suggest a search in the forum, or in a TM. Some folks just want to get on and get an instant answer, with no effort on their part. I help the new guys that are polite and don't bellyache, and most of them a very appreciative.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the points of this(and any forum) is to pool (collect in one place) all the information, to be uses as a resource. Speaking of resources, do you have and understand how to use the tech manuals? Almost every question you will have, can be addressed in the TM, if you simply read them.

That is why "old timers" suggest you search before simply asking(especially common/basic questions).

When you continue to add the same question to the "pool", it dilutes the search results, and makes it harder to wade thought dozens, if not hundreds of threads, on the same exact topic.

So, when you refuse to search(and try to help yourself), you are ruining the data base(resource) that we have worked so hard to build and keep useful).

Also, common sense says, new guys should try to fit in and learn by example, rather than step in a start telling others how to(or not to) do things.

Lastly, if you don't like a forum/website, you can always try another one.

3dAngus

The search function and the way you represent it becomes a bit of a misrepresentation. I have written source code databases in multiple languages, and developed search engines using off the shelf search engines to run the spider up the ladder and collect data, compile, and present to the users. It's not as easy as one would suggest on this forum. This is not a complaint, but is a reality.

Here is the issue with facts to support.

Using the advanced search engine to collect the parameters in this thread, using words "A3" and "Heigth", the "A3" is truncated and you get hundreds of different threads with the word "Heigth" in it. 99% of those post have nothing to do with the heigth of a smokestack on an A3, so search does not work. A3 is truncated in the search criteria by the search engine because it is not considered long enough for good search criteria. So using these two keywords, will not even pick up this thread where the answer is now documented for the next person who might have the same question. Both of those keywords are not only in the content of this thread, but are the title to the thread.

Using the advanced search engine to collect the parameters in this thread, using the words "M35A3" and "heigth" you get one thread. It is http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/28047-a3-rims-finally-mounted.html
That thread is three years old, but if the data was there, it would be acceptable none-the-less. The data required for this thread is not there. So....

It doesn't answeer the question.

Trying to get a picture of the smokestack does not work on search. A picture is worth a thousand words, and millions on the SS search engine. The picture was presented.

The search engine is convoluted with all the data already there and arguably cannot be corrupted further unless contaminated by outside sources like a virus and it is what it is.

The tech manuals are the way to go. Search may help, but cannot be relied upon. It is recommended it be tried for quick results, but "quick" is not likely due to all the extraneous data and information one would find and have to read and sort through in it unrelated to the tasking, causing more difficulty than what it is worth in many cases. Google would work better for these purposes, and so would tech manuals.

I think everyone loves this site. No need to go anywhere else. It's the best. Being the best does not mean it is perfect. Informing the users of the trade-offs in using the site is not inappropriate, it is helpful and educational forall. Giving an answer to a question to help out a fellow SS'er is not that painful. Showing a little bit of courtesy does not hurt. I recommend search and the tech manuals, but I don't mind giving a helpful hand at the same time. I notice most of you do to. But for the person who says use search, or use the tech manuals is nothing but flaming and is counterproductive to the overall goal, and can be construed as rude, as if the OP is an idiot who doesn't know this already.

I'm not picking on anyone here, not citing anyone out, everyone has been grand. Some of the people here on this thread have been very helpful to me when I needed it most, including moderators, and I remember them best when they help. I am indebted for it, in my mind, and my heart goes out to them for it even though they might be short in the next post or thread. I try to remember the best of them in lieu of the worst.

My two cents.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dell, I'm so glad my database programming at my last job didn't include search functions.............

3dAngus

Yeah, you got that right. The best way to go is if you have Microsoft server software, to just use their's. It becomes easy as 1,2,3, and is very powerful.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, but we are considered rude if we suggest a search in the forum, or in a TM. Some folks just want to get on and get an instant answer, with no effort on their part. I help the new guys that are polite and don't bellyache, and most of them a very appreciative.
Most of us don't have time to scroll through 100's of posts to find none answer it. I'm always appreciative of people helping me. Isn't that the point of the internet? Instant answers?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
. But for the person who says use search, or use the tech manuals is nothing but flaming and is counterproductive to the overall goal, and can be construed as rude, as if the OP is an idiot who doesn't know this already.
I 100% disagree. I say this because I have posted both of these suggestions without intending to "flame" anyone and it is not counterproductive because many people never considered the idea of search or know there is a search function(all problems with that, aside).

Also, as a Moderator, I feel it it imperative that I explain that there is a search function and TMs that can be used to help yourself.

Moderators here are not simply secretaries, or judges in arguments, etc. We direct the site and provide a "direction/culture" that we expect everyone to conform to. (think, family friendly goal, for one reason ...) We are not interested in controlling people, but we are interested in controlling the site.

Dell, your comments represent what you feel/think/expect/support, etc...

My comments represent what the site Admin, Feels/thinks/expects/supports, etc...

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The search function and the way you represent it becomes a bit of a misrepresentation. I have written source code databases in multiple languages, and developed search engines using off the shelf search engines to run the spider up the ladder and collect data, compile, and present to the users. It's not as easy as one would suggest on this forum. This is not a complaint, but is a reality.

Here is the issue with facts to support.

Using the advanced search engine to collect the parameters in this thread, using words "A3" and "Heigth", the "A3" is truncated and you get hundreds of different threads with the word "Heigth" in it. 99% of those post have nothing to do with the heigth of a smokestack on an A3, so search does not work. A3 is truncated in the search criteria by the search engine because it is not considered long enough for good search criteria. So using these two keywords, will not even pick up this thread where the answer is now documented for the next person who might have the same question. Both of those keywords are not only in the content of this thread, but are the title to the thread.

Using the advanced search engine to collect the parameters in this thread, using the words "M35A3" and "heigth" you get one thread. It is http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/28047-a3-rims-finally-mounted.html
That thread is three years old, but if the data was there, it would be acceptable none-the-less. The data required for this thread is not there. So....

It doesn't answeer the question.

Trying to get a picture of the smokestack does not work on search. A picture is worth a thousand words, and millions on the SS search engine. The picture was presented.

The search engine is convoluted with all the data already there and arguably cannot be corrupted further unless contaminated by outside sources like a virus and it is what it is.

The tech manuals are the way to go. Search may help, but cannot be relied upon. It is recommended it be tried for quick results, but "quick" is not likely due to all the extraneous data and information one would find and have to read and sort through in it unrelated to the tasking, causing more difficulty than what it is worth in many cases. Google would work better for these purposes, and so would tech manuals.

I think everyone loves this site. No need to go anywhere else. It's the best. Being the best does not mean it is perfect. Informing the users of the trade-offs in using the site is not inappropriate, it is helpful and educational forall. Giving an answer to a question to help out a fellow SS'er is not that painful. Showing a little bit of courtesy does not hurt. I recommend search and the tech manuals, but I don't mind giving a helpful hand at the same time. I notice most of you do to. But for the person who says use search, or use the tech manuals is nothing but flaming and is counterproductive to the overall goal, and can be construed as rude, as if the OP is an idiot who doesn't know this already.

I'm not picking on anyone here, not citing anyone out, everyone has been grand. Some of the people here on this thread have been very helpful to me when I needed it most, including moderators, and I remember them best when they help. I am indebted for it, in my mind, and my heart goes out to them for it even though they might be short in the next post or thread. I try to remember the best of them in lieu of the worst.

My two cents.
THANK YOU SIR! I'm not here to start some flamewars or bitch and moan I'm here to gather intel, just help me already PLEASE.(edited to get along)

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of us don't have time to scroll through 100's of posts to find none answer it. I'm always appreciative of people helping me. Isn't that the point of the internet? Instant answers?
The fact that you have no time to help yourself, is not what this site is for. You must have missed the fact that you add to the problem, rather than help others(that are interested in helping themselves).

The internet was not developed to simply provide instant comunication. If that is what you need, use your phone.(call someone)
Simple as that.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
just help me or STFU, someone else will help me if you have nothing productive to add.

Yes I did search, so save your typing and make yourself useful
Drop the sigline and drop the " I demand instant gratification" or your useless to me attitude. If not, I'll send you on your way. We don't need it here on SS.

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drop the sigline and drop the " I demand instand gratification" or your useless to me attitude. If not, I'll send you on your way. We don't need it here on SS.
Must of hit a nerve. I've used search many times since I've been here and most searches have been useless. Point is if you don't want to help why reply?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nerve? No, I don't have time for crap like this. And I will simply rid the site of it.

Your one comment away from disappearing. Straighten up and fly right, end of story.(how's that for instant answer?)

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
just help me or STFU,
Interesting thread clear up until this post of yours.

Dell has his opinion of helping, I have mine and it doesn't always mesh with the site.

I'm more than willing to help the new guys or the old guys with just about anything but I have a low tolerance for petulance.

Maybe DH will just nuke you and be done with it.

(We never did find out the height of you door..........)

3dAngus

I'm happy with this site in the fact that we are all able to present our views in a positive constructive way.

It doesn't mean we have to all agree, all the time. My point is, cite the Tech manuals, cite the search, no problem and perfectly appropriate as suggested. I do it myself.

It is when citing the search engine as a final solution without offering any "other" constructive help that becomes rude.

First timers need a little nurturing. I need a little myself. I think, we all do from time to time. And the fact that we can get it here when we need it the most, is most comforting and it what really makes the site what it is. Helpful. Just my opinion. I love this site.

We had an old saying. No software will EVER be perfect. The person who tries to make it that way, is the person who never finishes a project. Thanks to everyone.

Patriot, the STFU doesn't work on this site. We cannot make personal remarks of inflamatory nature on the site. It's a rule violation, so lets keep it civil please.

KsM715

Your one comment away for dissapearing. Straighten up and fly right, end of story.(how's that for instant answer?)

1 Patriot, Your getting off easy. After reading your STFU line I had to go back and see if you had "banned" under your name. DH must be in a good mood, Ive seen members disapear for less.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeff, you and others know me well. I am in a good mood.

Just returned from an MV show and had a great time meeting new people and seeing "old" friends(many from SS). My kindness and compassion gets renewed from such outings. When I hear what this site means to so many, it motivates me to try even harder, to keep it on track and give everyone an opportunity to enjoy it as much as I do.

Thanks

docharley

If I still had the A3 here that I was working on last week I'd read the data plate for you that is in the truck. There should be a data plate on the dash or door that gives you all of the specs as well as CGR's for loads and towing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks