• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A3 in my area, go for it or stick with an A2

10mm fan

I was looking to get an A2 just because they seem to be the most common. Looking on GL an A3 just popped up about an hour from me. It says 11,000 miles "engine starts"

I really know nothing about the reliability of an A3 vs an A2. How is the auto tranny?
It doesn't say anything about centeral tire inflation system, do all A3 have it?
Any reason I might want to stay away from an A3?

thanks,

A3 will go from 6-8 possibly close to 10k

A2 will go for 1000-3000

You can tell if the A3 has CTIS by looking at the wheels...this system is VERY problematic-simple sure it to cap them off with schrader valves.

A3 has considerable creature comforts but as far as reliability-A2 is much more reliable. I would not want to crack into that CAT engine when it breaks

$.02...soapbox being passed

wsucougarx

A3 will go from 6-8 possibly close to 10k

A2 will go for 1000-3000

You can tell if the A3 has CTIS by looking at the wheels...this system is VERY problematic-simple sure it to cap them off with schrader valves.

A3 has considerable creature comforts but as far as reliability-A2 is much more reliable. I would not want to crack into that CAT engine when it breaks

$.02...soapbox being passed
Plus the A3 is uglier than sin:wink:

10mm fan

I am looking more for reliability, so it sounds like I might be better off with an A2.
Would a shop that works on CAT and other diesels be able to work on a multifuel, or do I need to find someone special for that?
Thanks for the honest input.

Plus the 3126 Cat doesn't start well in the winter, gets poor fuel economy, has a mediocre at best exhaust note at idle and under load, has a HEUI injection system with a non added value high pressure oil system that is expensive to repair and is problematic, sleveless, lucky to get 10k hours out of one in the industry I work in. where a comparible Cummins ISC will get 15k-20k hours or more before rebuild. Where the multifuel starts well in the winter, sounds good at idle and under load (I'm a diesel guy...) and is unique where the 3116,3126/C7 is not to trucks.

To me the A3 should be 1/2 what the A2 costs.

Andy

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My suggestion would be to delete this post as anyone with half a brain now knows there is an M35A3 in CA. You are new to the site so you might not know, but we are prohibited from discussing current or upcoming auctions.

If you want honest info about an A3, start a thread asking current A3 owners to chime in about their experiences with their trucks. I, for one, think the A3 is a superior truck to the A2. The A3 has all of the improvements that should have been made on the A2...better, more powerful motor, nice transmission, three-point seatbelts, electric wipers, more comfortable driver's seat, more efficient heater, back-up lights, marker lights, etc.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I started it for ARMYMAN30YEARSPLUS's funeral when it was zero degrees. It took a sniff of ether, but it started just fine. Anyone who own one have any negative feedback?

obxron

When I have to I take mine to a repair shop near me that specializes in big trucks. The head mechanic said the A2's are extremely reliable , lots of parts available and they are relatively inexpensive to have repaired. It's my understanding that all the A2's were repowered in the 90's. The trucks are older than that so like anything else old, sh*t can happen. If you go the GL route check it out before you bid on it if at all possible.

OBXRON
1954 M37
1968 M35A2
1968 M101A1

dcwilkie

On the other hand, the A3 is a better investment if you can get it for less than $7K. They sell pretty well post-auction anywhere from $9K to $13K. My guess is simply because it's a newer truck and people believe it will be less trouble to maintain. I think they're wrong, but what do I know? I'm new at this myself!

2cents

dcwilkie

When I have to I take mine to a repair shop near me that specializes in big trucks. The head mechanic said the A2's are extremely reliable , lots of parts available and they are relatively inexpensive to have repaired. It's my understanding that all the A2's were repowered in the 90's. The trucks are older than that so like anything else old, sh*t can happen. If you go the GL route check it out before you bid on it if at all possible.

OBXRON
1954 M37
1968 M35A2
1968 M101A1
My A2 was rebuilt in 1989 FWIW.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buy one you will love it. It is what a Deuce should be. 10k hours that is my life time plus my son's when we only use it for fun not a work truck. All I hear is problems with CTIS but no one say where or what part. I love mine. I never met a machine that I did not like just people. Some say ugly how can a machine be ugly?

dcwilkie

From "THE RULES":

Auction Postings: Please abide by the following rules concerning the posting of auction information in the forums:
• No frivolous auction posting. This means don’t post GL/GSA auction information and photos that could be easily found with a quick search online. Very unusual or interesting items may be shared in the appropriate forums.
• Do not post links to auction photos. GL/GSA links quit working after a short period of time so save the image to your PC and then attach it to your post.
• No collusion as specified above.

It doesn't say you cannot post auction information. It just says keep it to "Very unusual or interesting items may be shared in the appropriate forums". Makes sense to me :-D
Personally I think if you had a question about an auction, the powers that be wouldn't mind a link to make things more clear. Maybe I'm wrong- wouldn't be the first time.:roll:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me add that I love the A2s. I just have never heard from anyone who owned an A3 anything but positive remarks about the truck. I have spoken to guys who have, or have had, A2s and A3s and they have told me the same thing I am saying here...the A3 is a nicer truck to operate. Which one will last longer being parked in a jungle or being used in a sandstorm? I have no idea. For my purposes, those things don't mean anything. I will say that I used to be a hater. I disliked the look of the A3 with the rearward sloping hood. However, after getting one, I can honestly say that I'd rather have an A3 than three M35A2s. Everything on the truck is either new or rebuilt...and the hood no longer stands out as negative. I think it is just a matter of getting used to it.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about an A3 makes it interesting or unusual? There have been many trucks that have been sold. Thousands were made. I suppose that anyone could make the argument that any truck was "interesting" on some level to them. You are wrong on the link issue. While there are exceptions, I can say that 99 times out of 100 you are going to be better off without posting a link. Check with a moderator. I am only reporting back based upon the literally thousands of posts I have read and the hundreds of times this issue has come up. My original point was that it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that he was looking at a truck in CA...his area. Well, where would such a truck be listed? GSA? Doubtful they would be releasing something that new although that would be the second place I would check. GL? Bingo. I was not trying to jump on the original poster as I am sure this was an innocent mistake. These are not my rules. This is Chris Stansbury's site. These are his rules.