• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Abandoned Deuce

rattlecan6104

trying not to hijack your thread, but you say the grille guard is crap, whats wrong with it? I'm curious as I am considering making one for mine, and it looked pretty good. if you can a few pics of its mounting would be great.

If you decide to try and part it out, maybe shipping a crate full of the smaller hard to get parts would be a great idea to help getting other deuces up and running here in the stateside. all depending upon cost of course.

Lonesome715

The grill gaurd is made of scrap pipe that was not even bent properly. Pulling parts is getting tougher. Tools are a little hard to get right now.

datsunaholic

Abandoning equipment is nothing new... been happening since before the first group of men became an Army. After Vietnam they dumped hundreds of Hueys in the South China Sea. WWII, they pushed the equipment off ships. Sank ships with full loads. What did end up back in the States got buried in landfills and levees, because all that metal getting recycled at the time would have destroyed the metal industries. Thousands of planes cut up or buried (or both). Now those parts are nearly priceless. I spend hours trying to find lines on WWII Allison engines/parts and such to keep the Museum I volunteer at engines alive. Problem is, parts are expensive and we are on a non-profit budget.

My Brother in law said when he was in the Gulf, they had trouble with the tracks on the M1A1 tanks they had and were directed to a "storage yard" where a bunch of original M1 tanks were kept. They robbed the tracks off them. The old M1s had been left behind after an exercise in the late 80s.

HAWKMAN

This peticular truck would have a neat story to tell if you could somehow get her home but I agree with papabear.....get home safely and then rescue a truck here in the states......:-D:-D

as i stated earlyer we need to bring it all home all the time its ours we paided for it and we want it guess i am possive . we spend millions on the sex habits of the south american swap rat so why not bring our equipment home? its time we all start standing up instead of sitting back saying its not cost effective the ones up east dont care about cost for anything else . so bring it all home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lonesome715

I have hit brick wall after brick wall. I am certain I can pull this off. But the cost will go beyond what I was told. Plus, my time is running out. I am going to another base soon and I am not sure I will have enough time to pull this off.

Parker2

It suck's seeing a peice of equipment go to waste. I am sure there are trucks over here that are in the same situation. A few years ago I was doing a job at an airport and there was a Duce sitting in the outskirts of the property just rotting away. I tried to buy it from the city, but no luck. Everyone was afraid to make a decision. Iam sure it's still sitting there. Maybe I'll try again. I want the pto.

halftrack

On a serious note. Please destroy or render the truck inoperable so enemy combatants can not come along and use the truck later on. Cut wires, put sand in valve cover, flatten tires, put hole in oil pan, put holes in radiator, whatever it takes. Please do this at least.

Lonesome715

If I get caught doing that I will get arrested. No one cares if I take parts or even if I get the whole truck out of here. But if I am seen just destroying it, that is another story.

pevrs114

I just don't think it will be possible. You'll face insurmountable importation, titling, and registration restrictions once you got it home, as well as possible federal charges of larceny, even though the military has abandoned it.

It's an awesome idea, and I hated to see everything go to waste when I was there, but unfortunately it's just not a very viable idea. Even if you went back there 10 years from now, and all the Amriki's were gone, I'd still imagine importation of military equipment would be very hard to pull off.

If you can afford a few grand (2-3) for shipping, you can easily afford a deuce here in the states that needs some TLC. I'm personally looking at one for probably less than a grand, and it's already titled.

So, I love the idea and the spirit, unfortunately I must vote no-go.

Parker2

Hey man, I grew up in Seffner. Which air port are you reffering to? No worries, I am in no position to go get it.
No worry at all. If it's still there I welcome anyone to try and get it. I wouldnt mind getting the pto & stuff for my winch, but I am not in a hurry.
It's at the Lakeland airport on Drane field Rd. Far eastern edge of property.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just don't think it will be possible. You'll face insurmountable importation, titling, and registration restrictions once you got it home, as well as possible federal charges of larceny, even though the military has abandoned it.

It's an awesome idea, and I hated to see everything go to waste when I was there, but unfortunately it's just not a very viable idea. Even if you went back there 10 years from now, and all the Amriki's were gone, I'd still imagine importation of military equipment would be very hard to pull off.

Not true! Bringing US built army trucks back to the states is not a problem at all. Look at all the trucks that Army Cars brings in from Belgium. My ex-Italian Diamond T breezed through customs. The ocean freight was about $2000 from Europe. Now armor is another matter.

If Lonesome could get a bill of sale from Uncle for those trucks, he could bring them here easily, but the freight bill would be 10 times the value of the truck.

Lonesome715

The cost of shipping ultimately forced me to stand down on this.

Hey Parker, I know the air field I know you are speaking of. I drove by their a lot I never saw a duece though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks