• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

About to buy my first deuce - give me your opinions on this truck

RMH4

Hey guys, I'm trying to pick up my first deuce this week and I wanted to get your opinions on the one I have lined up before I pull the trigger. The truck is already titled, private sale, and looks like a fire station owned it most recently. From the pics it looks like its the sprag type diff/T-case (if I understand what Ive read correctly) and he said its the turbo/multi-fuel engine. Owner says it runs and drives just fine and I should have no problems makingthe 2-3hr drive taking it back home.

1358797005383.jpg1358797008428.jpg1358797002584.jpg1358796999661.jpg1358797015170.jpg

duece1.jpgdeuce2.jpg1358796996949.jpg1358796994074.jpg1358797013469.jpg

I'd like to know your opinions on the truck. The owner is asking $3k obo so I'm thinking of offering $2k and going from there... what do you think its worth? Basically any advice you guys have for me is appreciated.

Thanks
-Robert

Last edited by a moderator:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has the airshift transfer. At least by looking at the air switch on the bottom of the dash.

$3000 seems high without a bed, but $2000 is a good starting point.

Last edited:

Flyingvan911

It will need some attention to the rust but otherwise if it runs and drives 2-3k seems reasonable. Ask him about maintenance and repairs he has done. Maintenance is important.

Scarecrow1

Like the old saying( buyer beware) is always a tried and true practice. Look very close at body and up under the cab for repairs and rusting out areas that have been painted over . Your are in good shape to argue the price with no body and one going any where from 200 to 800 Dollars if you can find one. But for 2000 it would be a good starting MV for you to learn with. In Fla I'm sure you have many MV owners around you to help with it so if you want it go for it ................

RMH4

Good to hear about the Air T-case. I asked him about maint. and he said that he hasnt done anything and hasnt owned the truck long. I'm only weary because he's not been very forward in giving me info but the truck does seem decent from what I can tell. I also found out that it has the D turbo. All I'm waiting on now is for someone to buy my Land Cruiser so I'll have the cash for the truck. I'm selling the LC for $3500 so I figure I'll go as high as $2500 for the truck and have a thousand left over for maintenance and other little things.
On another note, does anybody have a ballpark price for a spare cab? I'm debating doing a double cab setup down the line.

caliber1

Get it and bring it to the Richloam Rally in a week and a half.:beer: Looks fairly complete other than no bed, there are some to be had down here. As others have said, according to the air switch lower dash, you have an air shift transfer case. Hard top looks rough. I'd start at $2K too.

phil2968

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
To quote the bulldog when he backed into the barbed wire........"ruf, ruf, ruf".

Vehicles that have belonged to other government agencies tend to be run hard and put up wet. Lots of "midnight modifications" and drivers that may or may not have been kind to the truck.

I'd lowball the crap out of him......you can always go up. Start at 1500 bucks....that's a hair over scrap price or what you can get for two of the axles.

FatBuddhaBoo

Did you find this on Craigslist? I ask because I swear I've seen this one before and thought it was overpriced. I'd definitely start well under $3000 and would agree that $1500 to $2000 would be a good starting point. Good luck on the purchase.

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That truck was up for auction in Zellwood, there was has a considerable mount of cab rust issue and is in worst shape then what I brought mine for. I paid 1650.00, and Mine took a hole lot of work restoring her. So, realistically if it was me I would offer as low as 1200.00, walk it up from there. If you pay more then 1800 in my opinion is a little much. I find a lot of MV for members, and I have educated myself to what is out there. I know you found that one on CL, and if you cant get a reasonable deal. I would wait, you will come across a better deal. Look on Search Tempest and expand the range to 500 miles and search military and/or army for vehicles. If you search every night you will find that gem in the rough your looking for. These are just my opinion and you most definitely can tell me to go pound sand. I will not take offense. just be careful of what you get your self into because with these old trucks because, anything from a broken IP to a dry rotted tires that blow out can ruin your day in the woods.

RMH4

I'll definitely consider coming to the rally as I'll already be in Tampa that weekend for monster jam. As far as the truck goes I did find it on CL. Good to hear someone has seen it in person. If its as bad as you say I definitely will be offering around a thousand for it. And thanks for the heads up on its condition because he's making it seem like its all good to go.
BTW, I found a non-turbo truck that looks in better shape. Should I steer clear of the NA trucks or does it not matter?

Last edited:

RMH4

Edit: after some reading I may go the route of the NA truck if I can get it for the right price. I also found a soft top one with a huge water tank on the back. This may be a good one if I can sell the tank for any kind of money to fund other maintenance.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Let me give you the benefit of my experience. I bought my first deuce in 2005 and have bought over 30 trucks from GL since (more than that if you count residue trucks that got cut up).
Unless you are well versed in swapping sheet metal, repairing sheet metal and other things on a big, heavy truck my advice is to buy a turn key truck from a fellow member, a reputable dealer or Gooberment Liquidation (after previewing of course).
If you buy that truck for 1500 bucks and spend 3000 bucks (you have to figure your labor....I consider mine worth 10 bucks an hour) you have spent 4500 bucks and went to a lot of effort for a truck that might continue to be a money pit.
You will have a vehicle that will give you instant gratification and as you get the money you can improve it.
JMHO for what it's worth.

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with wreckerman hole heartily. There are trucks out there by the time its is all said and done with that will cost you much more then buying a gem that has already been polished. Take Razor for instance, a member on the site, his first M35A2 was a complete gem and I mean the truck is awesome with no rust. The truck also had brand new T-hawks all the way around the truck, and he did not pay that much for the truck for confidential reason i will not tell the exact price but it was not as much as must people think.

Scarecrow1

I know that you came to this site to learn and learn you have. I have had the pleasure of swapping ideas with these guys for a few years and have to say it is always a learning experience. Sometimes not a good one but still a lesson learned. :) I just thought I would throw this in to the pot , How about a 5 ton? In the right sale they may be in your price range if you can get more for your car. I picked mine up in New Castle, Delaware for a little over 3 thousand. Just thought you should leave your mind open to other possibilities .........Good luck

RMH4

Let me give you the benefit of my experience. I bought my first deuce in 2005 and have bought over 30 trucks from GL since (more than that if you count residue trucks that got cut up).
Unless you are well versed in swapping sheet metal, repairing sheet metal and other things on a big, heavy truck my advice is to buy a turn key truck from a fellow member, a reputable dealer or Gooberment Liquidation (after previewing of course).
If you buy that truck for 1500 bucks and spend 3000 bucks (you have to figure your labor....I consider mine worth 10 bucks an hour) you have spent 4500 bucks and went to a lot of effort for a truck that might continue to be a money pit.
You will have a vehicle that will give you instant gratification and as you get the money you can improve it.
JMHO for what it's worth.
All valid points and I appreciate the advice as I do know nothing about them. My biggest truck Ive ever worked on was an 82 ford lifted 9 inches. I'm going to check out the rust bucket truck on my way back to clearwater this weekend but I'll probably be picking up a nice non-turbo truck from a different guy about an hour away. The N/A truck as far as he says is turn key. "Tires are almost brand new. new batteries. Started mild paint work, but took on another project,
This truck needs to be used! It has less than 200 original miles on it and a bunch of extra stuff goes with it."
He said the brakes are currently being serviced to fix the air lines or something. It has the air T-case and is a soft top w/ troop seats and full bows and canvas bed cover. He's asking $5500 but will take my Land Cruiser as a trade. I think thats good considering I was only looking for $3500 out of the LC.
IMAG0962.jpgIMAG0964.jpgIMAG0963.jpg

Scarecrow: I'd consider a 5 ton, I just havent seen them anywhere for sale around me.

DeucesWild11

I wouldn't be worried about a Non-Turbo, I have one and it runs just fine. Either way they are underpowered trucks and you have to get used to driving slow. A 5 ton may be an option but most are NON Multifuel, didn't know if that was a option you wanted. Also in allot of states you need a CDL to drive the 5 tons, but I don't know about FL.

One thing about the new one you are looking at is that I don't see any windshield glass.. Only one I see is on the driver side door. Not sure if that one is truly worth $5,500 unless there was allot of recent maintenance done.

DeucesWild11

I also don't see any turn signals.. You should ask about these things, was this truck going to be parted out? If not why is all that stuff missing? Perhaps it's included in the "extra stuff"??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks