• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Acquired a Military surplus load bank

Jestes1

Whats wrong with it? Have you looked for any troubleshooting manuals for the machine?
Yes, they say the first thing is fuses however mine has circuit breakers which seem ok. When I wired it up to a 002 and turned it on the fans came on for just a moment and then it went off. No smoke or smell. Do you know of a fuse located somewhere else that I can look for? If I can’t figure it out.which I know very little about electronics, I will need to have somebody repair it.

Guyfang

Staff member
Stop. Calm down. Lets think about what it can be before trying to find someone to fix it for you.

Do you have the TM for the Test Set, (Load Bank)?
Have you read how to operate AND properly hook up the test set.
Did you have both side doors open?
Are the internal connections properly made?
Did you hook up the test set in single phase? Or three phase?
Is the gen set in single phase? Of three phase?

Fuses means it is a later model, and better, in my mind. Not just the fuses were changed.

How about a picture of the data plate?

How about a picture of the gen set output load terminals with your cable hooked to it, and the input terminals with you cable hook up on the Test Set?

Also a picture of the Test Set, just like it was set up when you turned it on.

Jestes1

Stop. Calm down. Lets think about what it can be before trying to find someone to fix it for you.

Do you have the TM for the Test Set, (Load Bank)?
Have you read how to operate AND properly hook up the test set.
Did you have both side doors open?
Are the internal connections properly made?
Did you hook up the test set in single phase? Or three phase?
Is the gen set in single phase? Of three phase?

Fuses means it is a later model, and better, in my mind. Not just the fuses were changed.

How about a picture of the data plate?

How about a picture of the gen set output load terminals with your cable hooked to it, and the input terminals with you cable hook up on the Test Set?

Also a picture of the Test Set, just like it was set up when you turned it on.
I did read the military manual before turning it on. It was hooked up single phase.
The unit was not tested. I bought as is where is And took a chance..
Both doors open.
I do wonder if it has anything to do with the wind switch.
Since I am ignorant on these things I hesitate to probe around very much because of the capacitors my be charged and get me. I am a big chicken when it comes to electricity.
I really do appreciate your responce and hope you can poi me in the right direction.
I have 2 803a’s, 2 002a’s and 1 onan 45 kw powered by a 6 cylinder Allison chalmers diesel.
Thank you again

Another Ahab

Do you know of a fuse located somewhere else that I can look for? If I can’t figure it out.which I know very little about electronics, I will need to have somebody repair it.
I'm in "your boat", Jestes1, I always get stymied byt the voodoo of electronics (just a plain wood-butcher carpenter by background):

- The key from what I can tell is what Guyfang advises, keep calm and be methodical (it isn't really all that mysterious apparently)

But my problem is not having the patience, I always want to hit something with a hammer!

:mrgreen: :beer: :mrgreen:

majoday

Howdy,
The Essex Electro A427 load bank fully test 120v 1 ph, 120/240 1ph, 120/208 3ph, 240/416 3ph

Trust me, on 120/240 1ph, each switch puts a load equally over each wire. The fans are drawn off one side, so when I take a amp per leg reading, one side might be 40 amps and the other side is 40.3
120/208 3ph is the same thing. A 12kw switched load is just that. Each leg will have the same load, except one which will be slightly higher due to the fans on that line.
I have had my MEP-803A loaded with the 12kw switch and 3kw switch and half way with the variable switch. With a 67.4 amps per leg. I figure it is around a 17kw resistive load.

Actually that loading is in this thread back at post #20 here. Towards the end I pan down to the clamp meter sitting at 67.4 amps
Is there a manual om line?

majoday

Howdy,
Here is a visual collection of 1 phase MEP generator and Essex Electro a427 load bank connections.

View attachment 591940View attachment 591939

I should point out that the copper shorting link (on load bank) is placed on terminals L1 + L2 + L3, your hots are then connected to L0 + a linked stud. and ground of course
View attachment 591937View attachment 591936

The internal connector is on the upper mount for 1 phase.
View attachment 591935
and the switch is up for high voltage select.
View attachment 591938
Very helpful! The TM seemed clear enough about where to connect (for 1 phase 240) the L1 (ganged Knobs) and L3 to L0. I figured the ground was a given. What do you do with the L0 (neutral) when preparing to use the A427A? I really appreciate your pictures. I am a visual learner, but I can read TM's and figure most things out. Your posts are really helpful!

majoday

Howdy,
If you're asking, maybe it's not for you. Really tough to find them out there. I would suggest maybe a old electric stove. Others have found a electric shop heater works too..
It depends. I found a couple in Kansas (Gov Planet) and their auction for $220 + fees & taxes. My wife and I made a road trip of it to pick them up. Freight companies wanted over $900 (highest) and $600 (lowest). I spent more on the trip than the cost of the L/B's, but we enjoyed the break from the farm.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very helpful! The TM seemed clear enough about where to connect (for 1 phase 240) the L1 (ganged Knobs) and L3 to L0. I figured the ground was a given. What do you do with the L0 (neutral) when preparing to use the A427A? I really appreciate your pictures. I am a visual learner, but I can read TM's and figure most things out. Your posts are really helpful!
The neutral from the generator is taped off and not connected when you are testing 240v single phase. You will connect one HOT from the generator to L1, L2, L3 (bridged) on the 427 and the remaining HOT will connect to L0 on the 427. Be sure to connect the ground between generator and load bank AND use a ground rod.

Last edited:

majoday

The neutral from the generator is taped off and not connected when you are testing 240v single phase. You will connect one HOT from the generator to L1, L2, L3 (bridged) on the 427 and the remaining HOT will connect to L0 on the 427. Be sure to connect the ground between generator and load bank AND use a ground rod.
Thank you! My questions may seem a bit foolish. However, I wish not to hurt any of the pieces of equipment nor personnel (me) and youall are so helpful!!!

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you! My questions may seem a bit foolish. However, I wish not to hurt any of the pieces of equipment nor personnel (me) and youall are so helpful!!!
And since it is the single point ground on the A427 load bank, I keep the bonding strap in place connected on the generator. (Ground + Neutral)

Note: When done using the load bank, keep the generator on and load bank on for a few minutes after with no load. Need to finish cooling down the panels.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Exactly. It needs to cool down. Always look to see nothing like a scrap piece of paper. or other trash can get sucked up into the L/B. The L/B has a safety system, to turn it off if the flow of air is not strong enough to overcome the the "Flap" switch. Also, a problem we had for a while, was mice loved to "bed down" in the L/B.

robert248

Howdy,
Essex Electro Engineers A427 Load Bank
View attachment 563158View attachment 563159View attachment 563160
View attachment 563162View attachment 563164View attachment 563163

It was made around 1970. 0-33kw coverage, single and 3 phase. 3kw, 6kw, 9kw, 12kw switches in any combo, and a 0-3kw variable turn knob. It really makes thing easier to keep a generator in shape.

The MEP-803A can really pull some power. It actually takes a lot to get up to 133%.
Where did you source your load bank? I need one as I just got an MEP-802A.

Guyfang

Staff member
If you are going into the biz of repairing gen sets, then I would agree with you. But if all you are ever going to have is a 5 KW gen set, well, I would advise you to think about it again. Its a two men and a boy lift. Its a 30 KW load bank. For the money you would need to buy a A427, you could buy some heating elements and a few other thing to make yourself a nice 7-8 KW load bank. AND, lots of beer and other health food.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks