• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ACTUAL HMMWV width?

MaverickH1

I'm having a nearly impossible time finding a trailer that fits the Humvee according to various specs and measurements for the HMMWV width from the outside of tire to tire. Yet when I look online I see people using U-haul trailers for their M998, and I see HMMWVs on what looks like several 7' trailers with the raised borders around the deck.

I have absolutely exhausted finding a deck-over trailer for rent in my area, which shocked the heck out of me. I have several 7' wide options, but I want to make sure they will fit. Just looking for HMMWV dimensions online, the width is said to go from 84-86". But when I see picture of the Humvee on those 7' trailers, it looks like there is more room to spare.

Most trailers I have found are in the 82" range between fenders. So what's the deal?

Are the online dimensions of the tires at lowest air pressure and simulate a bulging out condition?

Unfortunately, I cannot use a U-Haul trailer due to the listed curb weight of the M1123 being 5850 lbs, even though it is almost completely stripped down.

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are 3 versions of the uhaul trailer. You need the newest one aluminum color not orange with the fold down fender. It is a tight fit and deflating tires will help. You will need chains and straps as the original tire loops are not big enough.

You can not tell uhaul HI or hummer or humvee as it is not in their database and will not rent it to you. I told them a jeep model with big mud tires to get the bigger trailer. Make up a year and model, they don't check but to make sure it is in the database to fit the trailer and your tow vehicle can handle.

Remember that your m1123 has been stripped of Armour and stuff and that weight is not accurate. a bare m998 is 5200.

desmodromic

84"-86". The short answer is people are either squeezing the tires through the narrower opening of the trailer fenders or they are building wooden drive over ramps to protect the fenders. The first option on a Uhaul trailer runs the risk of cutting a side wall. Ask me how I know. ;(

Rjins

Just got mine home. I had AAA tow on a flat bed tow truck. I just measured outside to outside tire, 85 inches with 22 psi in tires. Other comments are correct. Newer u haul car haulers are wider, still not 85 inches. To prevent tire damage you will need to build up wooden drive over on trailer fenders. Hmmwv is plenty tall enough to drive over. Site director where I picked up said people do it all the time.

MaverickH1

I feel like I have checked everywhere in a 50 mile radius. Sunbelt Rentals, United Rentals, Herc (used to be Hertz) equipment rentals, the big trailer companies, I even messaged people with trailers on Craigslist to see if I can rent their trailer that is for sale. Not a single deck over anywhere in my area. None of the major rental companies allow one-way trailer rentals either.

Most of the trailers that ARE 7' wide have recessed decks and borders all around. Or they have MASSIVE fenders due to the deck being so low.

NCBPhantom

You can definitely fit the HMMWV on a UHAUL. I just drove up over the fenders. They're pretty stout. The vehicle on my rental contract was a 1977 Jeep J-20. Otherwise you can try and get a 14-16' United Rental Tandem Axle Trailer. They can be up to 90" wide in between fenders.
HumveeUhaul.jpgUhaulFront.jpg

Last edited:

Action

For anyone else towing a troop carrier home, you can take the troop cover off and fold up in bed to cut down on a lot of wind resistance.
Find a place that rents forklifts and such for a deck over dual acle trailer. They are heavy though, so you need a capable tow vehicle.

86m1028

You can definitely fit the HMMWV on a UHAUL. I just drove up over the fenders. They're pretty stout. The vehicle on my rental contract was a 1977 Jeep J-20. TheOtherwise you can try and get a 14-16' United Rental Tandem Axle Trailer. They can be up to 90" wide in between fenders.
View attachment 652185View attachment 652186

Ive never seen a uhaul or any other standard trailer for that matter that are 90 between
fenders.
Trailers can't be over 102 wide without permit.
82-83in is about max, between fenders.

MaverickH1

If you look at the photo of the deck, or been to United Rental, you'll see their tandem trailer deck widths consistent from ramps to end.
Agreed, but the width might be referring to the overall width on the outside of the fenders on that particular trailer. Calling 3 local United Rentals, the largest distance between the fenders that they had on the lot was 83".

86m1028

Again to get a width over 83-84 inches between fenders, you will have to go deck over or semi deck over (drive over fenders).

MaverickH1

Again to get a width over 83-84 inches between fenders, you will have to go deck over or semi deck over (drive over fenders).
My efforts have confirmed this statement. I was hoping that inflating the tires decreased the width to something that would work on a trailer.

The following image shows 85" from tire to tire and it looks like they're running low pressure:

TM-55-2320-280-140010im.jpg

The next image shows 86":

hmmwv_dims.jpg

Further head scratching... this one shows 91":

M1151A1_HMMWV_Humvee_Expanded_Capacity_Armament_Carrier_armor_ready_4x4_light_tactical_vehicle_l.jpg

Bobert

The tires will give some. My trailer is barely 82". You can feel it wedge in between the fenders a bit, but it goes between without bending the flimsy fenders or scuffing the tires. I lubed them up just in case.

If you get a uhaul you can fold the fender down and drive right through.

Don't look at the numbers, it will fit one way or another.

Action

I just measured mine....
that heavy rear bumper is 85" and sticks out past the body on both sides.
the body is 84"
my tires do not stick out past the fenders, so outside tire width is 84".

Rjins

Like I said before. 85 inches. You have to make sure you like at the tire bulge near the ground. Get a flat bed tow truck or build a wooden over fender ramp. Don't take chance on destroying a tire. Been looking all around, 80% MT/Rs are $200 or more all day long!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks