• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AcuTemp Refrigerator

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess suprman got lucky, I vacuumed it down and added freon but the compressor wont kick on. It came on for about 10 seconds then stopped. Next I'll put another piercing valve on the other side and vacuum again.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It took me a while to get it charged. After running vacuum for 2 hours I waited an hour to make sure it held a vacuum then started to charge it. I put my valve in the same spot the original hole was. But it’s the high side. So it took in around 5oz of refrigerant then it wouldn’t take any more. On the low side I could just run the compressor it would take it in but on the high side it just pushes it back out so I closed the valve, ran it for a few seconds. Turned it off, let it sit for 5 min and it would take another oz or so in. Did that tillit was fully charged. My compressor would run even with no refrigerant though. It starts on idle and you hold the on off button to put it into cool mode.

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It took me a while to get it charged. After running vacuum for 2 hours I waited an hour to make sure it held a vacuum then started to charge it. I put my valve in the same spot the original hole was. But it’s the high side. So it took in around 5oz of refrigerant then it wouldn’t take any more. On the low side I could just run the compressor it would take it in but on the high side it just pushes it back out so I closed the valve, ran it for a few seconds. Turned it off, let it sit for 5 min and it would take another oz or so in. Did that tillit was fully charged. My compressor would run even with no refrigerant though. It starts on idle and you hold the on off button to put it into cool mode.
Is your compressor really "on" or does the screen just say "COMP ON"? Mine says "COMP ON" all the time even though I've only heard it kick on once. I'll try your method, easier than removing the whole unit from the box to tap the other side.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Did you weigh the refrigerant going in? It’s a bit hard with such a small amount. The compressor is quiet. You can put your hand on it and feel it going. Dosnt make much noise though. Once it’s charged and the compressor is in you can feel heat coming off the heat sink.

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It took me a while to get it charged. So it took in around 5oz of refrigerant then it wouldn’t take any more.... Turned it off, let it sit for 5 min and it would take another oz or so in. Did that till it was fully charged.

I followed your method and I think it was successful. I'm currently running/testing it to see if it-22 C, it's currently at -5.5 C after 1.5 hours in freeze mode. I've read elsewhere that it can take 4-8 hours to get to temp. Thanks for posting this method Suprman, it's a lot easier than having to remove the unit from the case to run a tap on the other side.

The compressor is quiet. You can put your hand on it and feel it going. Dosnt make much noise though.
You are right the compressor is very quiet. The weird thing is that when I added freon the first time and the compressor kicked on it was as loud as a regular refrigerator. Now it is running so quiet and with little vibration that I can barely feel it.

I replaced the batteries and the memory battery, the ones in mine were from 2005. They were $120 for both on amazon and the number is PSH12180FR 12volt. The memory battery is XL-060F 3.6V.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I need to get some batts for mine. I was hoping to find something lithium ion or at least a bit more modern and lighter than old style gel cells. I don’t know if the internal charger will work with something different though.

rustystud

I need to get some batts for mine. I was hoping to find something lithium ion or at least a bit more modern and lighter than old style gel cells. I don’t know if the internal charger will work with something different though.
I was wondering about that myself. Maybe a call to the factory will bring clarification or just more confusion !

kromane

Is there a cable ... possibly a slave cable that connects to passenger side battery slave recepticle ... that is used to connect to HMMWV? I'd want to use this while camping with my HMMWV. Imagine hunting, field dress, and immediate storage without heading home...WOW! If you or anybody else can id a cable that I could use to connect the refrigerator to HMMWV, it will be greatly appreciate. I don't dare pull the trigger on refrigerator until I know how to connect it;) Thanks!!

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a cable ... possibly a slave cable that connects to passenger side battery slave recepticle ... that is used to connect to HMMWV? I'd want to use this while camping with my HMMWV. Imagine hunting, field dress, and immediate storage without heading home...WOW! If you or anybody else can id a cable that I could use to connect the refrigerator to HMMWV, it will be greatly appreciate. I don't dare pull the trigger on refrigerator until I know how to connect it;) Thanks!!
You can power the unit from 12-28V DC. There is a connector for that. Make sure you get the cable. I power mine in the field from either solar panels or from the trailer plug on the back of my truck. Works great.

kromane

Thanks! Cable is key. HMMWV is 24v. If I can determine cable and connections, then I can seriously consider one of these. Afteer reading all these posts...its got me goin' !

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
All the ones I have bought had the ac and dc power cable. The dc cable is just a long pigtail. If you look at the listing pics and see the two cables then you should be good. Slave connectors are a common item easy to get.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hightly doubt they have removed all the oil. That would be a real job. Is there the single vampire tap on the refer line or did they do something more significant to the one you bought?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I posted the data sheet for the compressor earlier up this thread. The type and quantity of oil is listed on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks