• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ad Relevance

Wire Fox

So, I'm curious how the banner ads are selected for this site. Obviously the side banner and very top of the page are direct sponsor ads, but the rotating ads between the breadcrumb links and the actual forum topics is what confounds me. Half the time, it's stuff that's obvious based on my searches (eBay and Amazon listings for things I've been searching for), but one that's been showing up a lot lately is for "Experienced Minneapolis Divorce Lawyers." ...I mean, it seems like divorce and military vehicles run hand-in-hand, but if anything, I've been searching for engagement rings lately... I'm just curious as to how this whole thing is set up.

99nouns

It knows your age and sex and figures if you are on a MV site you are either in or post mid life crisis and married, from all the angry wife posts and threats on the SS website shows that the wives are not happy with our hobby and if you are looking for a engagement ring then you need to get rid of the old one so the ad prediction engine is helping you out and politely mentioning "dont be stupid and get a ring for another women and drench your self in drama, instead get a divorce lawyer first, aah and how convenient, I know this great lawyer who happens to invest $1000 in google ad sense program, well if he had $1000 to give me then he must be good, otherwise where would he find the $1000 to give me, right?".

Dont under estimate the new Artificial Intelligence programs that run those ads. Soon they will chose boundaries of our freedoms and values of our faith...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone else use your computer?

Wire Fox

Does anyone else use your computer?
Not my computer itself, but it's on our work network (on some other sites, used to see a lot of ads for single, asian women while at work...clearly somebody in this office is lonely).

The real kicker is that I get the exact same ads about divorce and some random oddballs while at home on my personal network with just my personal computer, while browing SS.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Face something or other...............
I could describe how you got sold.
The face novel thing beginning before 2004 started it.

There is nothing on any puter that is not known,
there is the languish barriers
but the retail + wholesale barriers came down years ago.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The ads you speak of are from google, as many have pointed out, your google searches, browsing history, exc, all help determine ads they choose to display. There's been a few "questionable" banners I know reported personally to me. I've tried to make adjustments in adsense to not display those types of ads. If something does come up questionable in nature, please let me know.

On a side note, those ads aren't displayed with upgraded membership.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks