• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding extra lights for DOT/FMCSA compliance

ichudov

I read the DOT regulations on what lights are required for commercial vehicles.

It seems that both my M927 and M931A2 will need a top-cab-mounted three-piece amber identification light.

Additionally, my M927 is over 30 feet long, and will require amber side lights.

I have two questions.

1. Are there nice electrical "tees" that plug into the existing wire harness without doing ugly splicing, that I could use to wire additional lights.

2. What would you recommend, either 24v light bars, or 12v light bars for which replacement 24v light bulbs can be found.

Thanks

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You can buy taps with packard connectors or make them to add running lights. 24v amber lights are around but the 12v ones are much more plentiful and you can run a pair of them in series on 24v.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are military Y connectors like this that you are seeking:
http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/rushycoms.html

This Y can also be used for a simple mod to Y off your front clearance light and have your front turn signal as a marker light like civy models. Turn signal functionality still exists fine. Mentioned on many threads for 5 tons or deuces.

You can get extra L mounting Brackets from ss members scrapping trucks to add additional clearance lights along the bed. I added an extra set in this fashion. You might get the lights also with the brackets. Several clearance lights on sale in classifieds. Grote or Truck lite oe military products can also be special ordered at NAPA.

I would suggest a 24v led bar for your top cab lights as they are out there.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You can use some 2 to 1 NSN: 5935-00-900-6281, and I think the female to female NSN: 5935-00-807-4109.

Last edited:

ichudov

There are military Y connectors like this that you are seeking:
http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/rushycoms.html

This Y can also be used for a simple mod to Y off your front clearance light and have your front turn signal as a marker light like civy models. Turn signal functionality still exists fine. Mentioned on many threads for 5 tons or deuces.

You can get extra L mounting Brackets from ss members scrapping trucks to add additional clearance lights along the bed. I added an extra set in this fashion. You might get the lights also with the brackets. Several clearance lights on sale in classifieds. Grote or Truck lite oe military products can also be special ordered at NAPA.

I would suggest a 24v led bar for your top cab lights as they are out there.
Thanks. I just bought a few of these Y connectors. Now about the lights, I did not quite get what you said about clearance lights and turn signals. I will appreciate some pointers to a relevant thread. thanks a lot.

Vintage iron

are you using your truck for a business or does your state require the extra lights? What year is your truck? You may not need to do all those things.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I suck at search...

To make the front turn signal light come on with the light switch on to service drive with the headlights on so you have a yellow marker light:

Put a Y on the front side clearance light, Plug the original marker light wire coming from the front light into the Y. Abandon the wire on the harness originally feeding it.

The military does not power the front marker light in any mode. Now whenever the side clearance light is on so is your front marker light.

Turn signals are on a separate wire and will flash when applied just like normal.

No change to any functionality but now you have a yellow light on the front like all civy cars and trucks.

I am also a fan of adding a double faced lolipop light (yellow on both sides) to the front turn lights so rear on coming traffic can see your blinker. I also happen to like the extra light facing forward also. There are civilian led models that are two faced but pricey. There are 2 military types. One is plastic with only light lens on one side which faces the rear of the truck but does not give additional lighting to the front. Least desirable in my mind. There is also a cast metal double faced light made by arrow with a red / yellow lens. The red lens is not dot legal for front applications but is easily replacable and a common agricultural and earlier truck lens to find. tractor supply keeps them in stock.

I can point you to an ebay seller with the arrow lights via pm so I don't get spanked. The brackets can be found typically called "lolipop" military lights/bracket. Don't recall any on the classifieds but you can post a parts wanted.

Look at my photo album to see the extra side marker light and lolipops.

ichudov

are you using your truck for a business or does your state require the extra lights? What year is your truck? You may not need to do all those things.
I will be using these trucks for business, yes, as commercial trucks. They have to pass DOT inspection. They are 1985 and 1991 trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks