• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adventures Of My New M1101 2010 Silver Eagle

vtwin4christ

I used tow lights just like yours as well to get mine home and continue to use them until I convert the lights. I did have some folks tell me I didn't have trailer lights because they were looking at the ones at the top. To help avoid confusion, I simply put an X of electrical tape across the top ones and folks stopped complaining. I think the universal X tells folks "these lights down work, pay attention to the other ones".

TexAndy

Interesting. I considered going with smaller tires to lower the trailer, but instead decided on a custom pintle mount riser. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow.

I can flat tow an 1102 behind a chevy 1/2 ton pickup. Or I can lower the hook on the mount and flat tow a 101a2 behind the same truck.

Just can't open the tailgate with the riser installed.

Tornadogt

Dont need a sf-97, just go to tax office and title it as a home made trailer
This is not Correct... you maybe able to get away with it but if you get pulled over with "Home Build Trailer" tags on a Manufactured trailer they will take the trailer.. Texas is cracking down on the Home built trailer registration exactly because of people doing this... as of this year any new home built trailers (or new registration home built trailers) has to go down and get a DMV inspection for the DMV to confirm it is not Manufactured. I am having problems with Texas DMV not wanting to take the Bill of Sales from Government Liquidation without a previous Texas Registration (which of course we would not have). On Manufactured trailers (which military trailers are) Texas DMV wants a Title / or SF97 Or Bill of sale with previous owners registration. I for one do not want to pay the extra $60.00 for the SF97 when I do not need a title anyways. All I want is Registration. So I am waiting for a call back from the main DMV office in Austin to see if they will waive the current registration along with the GL bill of sale to get new registration. I will keep you guys updated.

Deano

This is not Correct... you maybe able to get away with it but if you get pulled over with "Home Build Trailer" tags on a Manufactured trailer they will take the trailer.. Texas is cracking down on the Home built trailer registration exactly because of people doing this... as of this year any new home built trailers (or new registration home built trailers) has to go down and get a DMV inspection for the DMV to confirm it is not Manufactured. I am having problems with Texas DMV not wanting to take the Bill of Sales from Government Liquidation without a previous Texas Registration (which of course we would not have). On Manufactured trailers (which military trailers are) Texas DMV wants a Title / or SF97 Or Bill of sale with previous owners registration. I for one do not want to pay the extra $60.00 for the SF97 when I do not need a title anyways. All I want is Registration. So I am waiting for a call back from the main DMV office in Austin to see if they will waive the current registration along with the GL bill of sale to get new registration. I will keep you guys updated.
I went to my county tax office here in Denton Tx. The lady talked to her supervisor for a few minutes and I was golden! I didn't get and sf97 because like you I didn't want to pay the extra money. I gave them my bill of sale and showed them a pic of the data plate. That was good enough. I did not say it was home built. Be cause of Texas regs I only registered the trailer. I did not title it because of the weight. It all legal now.

FloridaAKM

If you move the temp tail/brake lights over to the stabilizer posts instead of the tiedown posts, the magnets will still grab the steel & you can open the tailgate without damaging the temp lighting setup, also less wind resistance & you can see traffic better behind you. I added some zipties to stop any movement & have over 500 miles recovery distance with no problems on 2 trailers. The temp wiring was zip tied to the original wiring harness under the trailer to stop the wiring from flying in the wind in the interstate.

Florida does not title trailers under 2000 lbs, so a title is not needed, just a bill of sale from GL which is free.
Interesting. I considered going with smaller tires to lower the trailer, but instead decided on a custom pintle mount riser. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow.

I can flat tow an 1102 behind a chevy 1/2 ton pickup. Or I can lower the hook on the mount and flat tow a 101a2 behind the same truck.

Just can't open the tailgate with the riser installed.

Last edited:

NEIOWA

View attachment 424996View attachment 424997View attachment 424998View attachment 424999 Well I picked up my new to me M1101 2010 Silver Eagle on Monday.. I'm not sure why they are releasing these trailers ....
Because the Army is getting rid of all the early HMMWV for which these were built (some 20+ years after the HMMWV were built). The early/light HMMWV are most in the National Guard. Thus many look to be brand new. Then Sam buys the IDENTICAL trailer with a tag that says M1102 to use behind the new "heavy" HMMWV. Why not retag??????

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to my county tax office here in Denton Tx. The lady talked to her supervisor for a few minutes and I was golden! I didn't get and sf97 because like you I didn't want to pay the extra money. I gave them my bill of sale and showed them a pic of the data plate. That was good enough. I did not say it was home built. Be cause of Texas regs I only registered the trailer. I did not title it because of the weight. It all legal now.
I had the same experience today in Comal County. The only difference is I got the trailer from another SS member and just showed them the BOS from him and a photo of the data plates. She had to think about it for a minute or two but came to the conclusion that since it was a "registration only" deal and not involving a title then there wasn't an issue. Got my plate and I'm good to go - especially since I switched to LED tail lights last week :)

FloridaAKM

I am using the original mil-spec LEDs also, but was wondering the correct connections of a 4 wire civy plug to the junction plate wires so that the markers would light correctly along with stop/turn lamps & tail lights.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am using the original mil-spec LEDs also, but was wondering the correct connections of a 4 wire civy plug to the junction plate wires so that the markers would light correctly along with stop/turn lamps & tail lights.
Sorry my misunderstanding. I got the info off another thread here but can't remember it off hand. What I did was simply take some blade connecters and slide them over the appropriate pin of the trailer plug. That way I can still use it with my military vehicles too. The pins are: J - right turn/stop, B - left turn/stop, E - tail/markers, D - ground.

FloridaAKM

Thank you Sir, that is what I was looking for. I also, want to be able to plug either trailer into the Deuce when the time requires it (after a bulb change of course). Removing the original mil-spec plug is out of the question as far as I'm concerned!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you Sir, that is what I was looking for. I also, want to be able to plug either trailer into the Deuce when the time requires it (after a bulb change of course). Removing the original mil-spec plug is out of the question as far as I'm concerned!
That's what I love about these LEDs. They're just as bright with my 12v F250 as with my 24v M923. Now I just need to splurge for some more to swap out my M101.

What is going rate for the 12 bolt wheel tire assys with 98% tires? I have 4 that I will get rid of.
I am in the market. Just need two I think. Mounted all my 37s do dually rims in preparation for my cucv wrecker build. It looked funny with dually wheels on the rear with the srw bed so I robbed my 1102 for its wheels and tires but the front still has the dually wheels. Would like to be able to run a full srw set.

Brett

TexAndy

I paid about the same price as mkcoen, though mine had an incomplete jack and the rear curtain on the cover is bit rough.

They do work like socks on a rooster, tho. :D I picked mine up in Fort Worth, then drove back by way of Fort Hood and picked up 4 th400 transmissions in the trailer and another 4 in the bed of my pickup.

I think I paid around $400 for mine. Complete except the canvas is a little weathered. Sun had been rough on the zippers. I love how useful the trailer is and would like to pick up another. My current one is my mobile workshop.

Texandy-8 th400s huh? Pretty good deal?

brett

PaulbusMax

As a Noob to the whole military vehicle/trailer ownership thing, i got the SF-97. Went to a Tarrant County site for title and registration. They had seen these forms before, so it went well. The thing that gripes me is the breakdown in the fees. Delinquent registration fee, delinquent tax fee...Hello, i just got this trailer! The military owned it! I was hit for fees because it hadn't been registered in Texas since it was new. Really? Total was $157 out the door. It'll be much cheaper from now on but man, what a racket to scam some extra dough.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks