• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

advice needed 5 ton buy

donttreadonmebmg

I'm going to buy a 5 ton an M52 6X6 tractor "I think". I was wondering what I should I be looking out for?
what goes wrong with them? what leaks on them? what's usually needed to keep them going besides the fuel, and any info for a first time MV buyer like my self needs to know would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advanced guys

I'm going Monday to get it hopefully! 15 miles from my house 8) drive it home.

so far it seems I should bring a big jack and check the transfer case. anything else you might advise me to do or check? Again I deeply appreciated your help.

all I know
I think it came from Wisconsin.
It fired right up when I looked at it the other day. and thing is not sitting out front for sale it was parked way out back I seen it and stopped. the guy has like 15 deuces and other cool stuff out back along with this monster. heck he's probably a member here. I'm from Ashtabula Ohio.

motorolanut

Brakes, Brakes, Brakes.....Hint Hint...Read the TM manuals the PM section for sure.:deadhorse:
Always better to bring all tools, fluids and a friend or relative..Than wish you had later.

i am sure within minutes other members will chime in with more....

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look it all over for leaks, especially the rims. Usual culprits, engine tranny, etc. Start it watch the gauges. Check all lights, turn signals, the works. Drive it. If you've never driven on, GET HELP. 5 ton has air brakes, probably need a CDL to drive it, not sure. Listen for really weird noises. Definition of weird noise: sounds like truck is falling apart, exploding and has an air leak all at the same time. Download operators TM, read fast but thourough. If price is higher than GL price...welll, up to you. Check guys rep, maybe a member, find out before you really get into it.

As Porky Pig said, "That's all Folks"

Last edited:

donttreadonmebmg

No CDL but I have driven a semi around a parking lot, but I did stay in a holiday Inn last night.rofl

I'm an auto technician by trade, but I'm currently going to college for a nuclear engineering degree. seriously!

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
If you have never owned a MV or a truck as big as a 5 ton then take your time and learn them real well. My advice to people is never buy a 5 ton cuse its a good deal or you think they are cooler than a Duece if you haven't owned a MV. They are alot like semi trucks But they are also alot different. Like they said brakes is the biggest diff. , but some others. Your rolling around in a 20+ thousand pound truck thats 40 or more years old.
Look all in the TM's if you do have to buy it and you need to check everything , tranny , axles ,Sprag , T case , power steering, etc etc. Along with the -20 TM you will need for it get a Lube Order and check it all over with those two manuals before you even move the truck.
Take someone who has a older 50 series 5 ton with you if possible to show you the ropes and also to help with your checking the truck over.

I feal like a daddy all over again :beer: - I just wanted to help and give my advice.

donttreadonmebmg

Hey thanks guys this is what I wanted to hear. Unfortunately I don't know anyone that owns one of these that lives near me. I'm kind of on my own :sad:. I have looked over the maintenance guide and wow it must take a five man crew to do the maintenance on this thing.

I'm going to tough it out and get the 5 ton, for most of the reasons you posted bulldog_ that and the higher horse power. I am also getting an extra cab But I have to pull it off an old deuce. I need room for the family so I'm making it a quad cab, once I've worked out all the bugs if there are any. I'm sure there will be but hopefully they are minor in nature.

donttreadonmebmg

I'll get photos not sure on the video, maybe - probably :D I'll post them as soon as I get it home But like I said it needs to pass the sprag test.

anything else I should be looking for?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
M52...so she's still a gasser?? I hope so...I love em...except the 3MPG on a good day.

BUT!!! If ya can figure a way to hook the rascal to your house...she will pull it.:D

The white truck is the M52...until we can paint her 24087:-(

Attachments

donttreadonmebmg

Well maybe it's not an M52. I'm not at all sure of the designation but it is a 5 ton truck. It's a diesel. the owner described it as having nearly the same engine in the multi fuel deuce he had except it had 200hp rather than the 135hp of the deuce. It is configured like a semi with a fifth wheel hitch. It looks like a M52.

Last edited:

donttreadonmebmg

well the guy said it was just like his multi fueled deuce. so as far as I know I'm assuming it's a multi fuel [thumbzup]. Oh I can feel them calling to me from all directions. With the 5 ton I know I'll be able to handle just about anything I want to bring home :driver: so that's one reason why I'm staring with a 5 ton.

Plus it's cool. :drool: Rest assured I'll be asking a lot of questions plus the guy seems really cool.

donttreadonmebmg

Well guys I'm going away all day Saturday and I'll be back here on Sunday afternoon, heck I might go see the guy Sunday and Check it out, at the very least I'll give him a call. thanks for all your help! [thumbzup]

AZDeuce

One of the posters mentioned 5-tons have air brakes. this not quite true, the 900 series and newer DO have air brakes the M -series, gassers/macks/multi fuels and 800 series all have air OVER hydraulics. Those are NOT air brakes. No CDL should be needed unless you go over 26,000lbs......and there are exceptions for that depending how your truck is registered.

donttreadonmebmg

Well I drove it today and All I can say is WOW :driver: :drool: . It is one big SOB. it sounds great! :drool: . It is a 1965, the engine was rebuilt in 1979 and originally it may have had a gas engine in it. Because the owner noted the exhaust hanger for the gas style exhaust system hanging from the frame behind the fuel tank on the passenger side. The trans grinds gears a little bit going into 4th and 5th but with more experience that will be minimised, I'm sure. I'm use to driving my truck, I think I was rushing my shifts and the owner seemed to agree. :driver:

On the bad side it has a cracked exhaust manifold, and a leaky exhaust pipe "no big deal to me I can fix", and it had a flat tire in the rear but I think he'll fix it. It looks like I can possibly take delivery on Thursday. Unless someone here thinks I should pass on it. :???: I seen only some oil from around the oil pan everything else was dry. He also stated the lights had some sort of short which he was working on and said he will fix it.

:drool: it ran for about half an hour and he let it run after we drove it to cool down the turbo.

It's not a super steal but I'm hoping he'll agree on a partial trade and $2000.00 cash. He has stated that he is interested in what I want to trade to him but the final deal will be on Thursday. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks