• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

advice needed 5 ton buy

jpekarek

Sweet truck! My 5 ton grinded a little in 4th and 5th also for a couple of miles. Then it went away, right after I discovered that the 3-4-5 gear shift pattern was all backward. Now it shifts fine! Such a coincidence.

donttreadonmebmg

It's Home !!!:p

totally awesome guys!! Wow! What a ride and it drove better than I expected and if I let the RPMs fall a bit it doesn't grind 4th and 5th my brother followed me home and he said it tracked real nice.
my brother said it topped out at 56 MPH. what a ride I love it!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

jpekarek

Awesome [thumbzup] Feels great. I remember just a few weeks ago bringing mine home for the first time. Didn't want to get out. Enjoy, drive it for any excuse you can think of. I took my 6 year old to school in it today. She felt like a little rock star getting out of it in front of all her friends and teachers.

Monty

I picked my daughter up from school in my 818, my son and I drove there and pulled up into the pickup lane. I had guys in pickups pulling their arms inside like they thought they would get ripped off with me driving by.

Great looking truck, the more you drive it the more you'll want to drive it. Make sure you try to keep it a family affair that way you can keep mama happy.

My wife wanted nothing to do with them at first, now when I start one up to move it around the yard she wants a ride ,( Especially after she drove the 818):grin:.

donttreadonmebmg

Oh yeah my wife already wants to paint it, so I'm going to pick out some paint and let her have at it LOL! she can only make it look better. Mine has been painted at least three times. I will start restoring it one piece at a time until it's all done, until then her paint job will have to do. the color will be a dark olive drab.
roflrofl

Monkeyboyarmy

After owning it for 12 years,I hated to see it go. But I am sure it is in good hands. If it had the Mack in it,it would have stayed. Had to make room for the M51A2 dump coming this way. Hopefully he will buy many more to fill his yard...hint hint.

reb87

Congrats, thats a neat truck. Do you understand double clutching? Double clutching should help with the grinding. IE: Driving, push in clutch then shift from gear into neutral, release clutch and quickly push in clutch while pulling shifter into next gear. This allows the input shaft to slow down a little and be closer to the speed of the output shaft. Dont let your wife read this, but here is proof that military trucks multiply(especially after the second one) These pics are a couple years old and the number of trucks have doubled.

Attachments

donttreadonmebmg

Wow I just came back from my first car show. Wow was it a hit, lots of people stopping to look and ask questions. It sure was fun. My kids like the attention the big truck received too, a good time was had by all! I also surprised my brother with it, both him and my dad drive Studebakers to the car show. My brother is retired from the Army and he just loved it. My brother spent the better part of a hour just looking at it and telling me stories about the big trucks he road in from when he was in the service.

So far I racked up about 130 miles [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks