• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air bubbles. And hard starting

DEUCEBIGALOW

I just pulled the pump to check that rubber hose and it looks like it is very new.. but a very strong gas smell so i added 5 gals of diesel and now it starts with the tap of the pedal cranks maybe 2 secs.. before it was cranking like 20 secs sometimes 20 secs cranking wait 1 min 20 more secs and have to do that a few times... Now imma wait an hour and then go back out and see how eay it starts.. the PO must have put straight gas in it. Im guessing they dont like straight gas, and I would never run straight gas anyway only in an emergency.

DieselBob

I know this is a little after the fact but when the pump was out you didn't happen to measure the pump mount length compared to the tank depth. Just thinking if the pump was replaced it might be sitting high from the bottom of the tank.

DEUCEBIGALOW

HAHA no no i didnt.. but no longer than it took me to pull, I might get around to doing that in the next few days.. That pump is alot bigger than i thought it would be.. But anyway its almost been an hr. so the real test will be in about 15 mins. FINGERS CROSSED.

DEUCEBIGALOW

Ya after an hr of waiting and 5 gals of fresh diesel in the tank IT fires instantly with the pedal puched down about 1/2 inch... Its like a whole NEW truck,,, THANKS GUYS Now to figure out and bleed the breaks fingers crossed that thats all they need
:beer:

DieselBob

If you don't have one yet get or make a power bleeder. Makes the job very easy and one man operation. I would also recommend a remote reservoir for the master cylinder. 2cents

Heavysteven

After reading through this it sounds like you had bad fuel. A sure bet solution would be to change your fuel filters, drain the tank, and refill with new diesel.

Bleeding the brakes is easy with a power bleeder. Make sure you use "DOT 5" and this stuff ain't cheap.

Pinzinator

You should have no air bubbles whatsoever in a diesel system. If you see bubbles it indicates a break in the system somewhere allowing the fuel lines,filter gaskets or injection pump seals to suck air, eventually if it becomes bad enough the system will become air bound and you will have a bear of a time starting the vehicle. Check all flexible fuel lines first and if you didnt put them in and dont know who did(original?) replace them they are cheap and are generally the culprit. If this dosent solve the issue start at the beginning of the system which would be the pickup tube in the tank and then systematically work your way forward making sure each section of the fuel system is not compromised. Alot of lines can be checked simply by blocking off sections and then applying a bit of pressurized air to the line, any leaks will be apparent immediately. Keep working your way forward to the injection pump,lines and injectors if everything before them is sound, then you will have eliminated all the five and dime items that cost little to fix but are usually the source of the problem. After that it will take some special equipment to test the remaining conponets however you may have solved your issue..hope this helps..regards:)

DEUCEBIGALOW

Ya I got the brakes bled, they work better than i thought they would... Anyway I know im getting air somewhere.. I pulled the pump and that pickup tube was fine.... Next ill pull the line off the tank ank pressurize it and see what happens.... Its hard starting every once in a while and there is alot of air in the system.. But ill track it down.

DEUCEBIGALOW

Well after the deuce sat for two days while i was in denver.. I come home and it started within 4 secs and ran with ZERO air in the lines...... For prob 4-5 mins it ran AWESOME and then slowly the air started coming.. and after the first sign of air it ran for about 3 more mins until the air got bad enough it died....

DieselBob

Have you changed the fuel filters ? Might be worth a try. My truck had started to be hard starting and finally died running in the driveway one day. Only had the filters in for 2 ~ 3 tanks of fuel. A lot of air bubbles in the line from the final to the ip when it died.

DEUCEBIGALOW

Well i have filters here for the full service its the weather thats not being nice enough to want me to mess aroud with it.. The two little vent looking deals on top of the filter housing what are these the front one is missing the top... What is their purpose. ????

DEUCEBIGALOW

Yes the one you have with the red around it... It had some air bubbles coming from between it and the filter head so I tried to tighten it well the top part snapped off and then i tightend the bottom of it and no more bubbles from it. I was just wondering what its main purpose was and to say its now broke but not affecting anything ( that i know of ) Because I can put my hand/thumb over it and it has no psi/vac and nothing changes

Heavysteven

Deuce I hope you get your truck running again. I would like to stress the importance of good fuel to a diesel engine at startup. I believe this may be a reason for your hard starts. I would drain the fuel from the tank, change all the filters, refill the tank full new diesel, and bleed the system from the bottom of the fuel filter canisters. Do this and you will know it's a fuel line or the injector pump. Plus your truck has the proper preventive maintenance on the fuel system.

Anytime a diesel engine won't start I check and change these items.
Clean batteries terminals/grounds
Air filter
Fuel filters
Add new fuel with conditioner
Check battery

99% of the time this works for me. If not I call a mechanic except on my deuce I call folks I have met here.

DEUCEBIGALOW

I fixed the hard start issue.... It had only gas in the tank... Now with fresh diesel in there it starts rite away. Minus the air being there... weather permitting its getting all the filters for the fuel system in the AM But we will see what happens

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks