• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

air impact wrench

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It used to sit on a pair of those, but I decided shop space was more important than air reserve and gave one tank to a friend in need for his body shop. At any rate, it is a lot of compressor and storage for a home garage. 391 gallons, next time I am in the garage, I will have to look and see what it really is, if it is marked and I can read it through all of the accumulated over spray and dirt.... You would need to subtract a little for the rounded ends and the 6" or so of legs it stands on. Glen
If you want to check yourself, the formula is- Pie (3.14) X the radius (20") squared X the height (72") divided by 231 (the number of cubic inches in a gallon).

91W350

It is plenty big enough for my needs, that is all I need to know. If I step up to a couple of 1" lines and try to run two big impacts at the same time, maybe it will not be enough. Thanks for the math though, I might have known it 35 years ago....

KsM715

One of the M105s I stole tires and wheels off of had RH threads on both sides. I about ruined my bar trying to break the left side loose. When I finally figured it out (duhhh) I thought the other side would be backwards too. I am betting there is another 105 out there with LH threads on the right side....

Wait till you come across one that has only one or two of the studs changed out for the wrong ones.

5ton4ever

I bought a cheap 1" impact from harbor freight tools for $89. It works fine.(with 1/2 inch air hose.) would not use it 8 hours a day, but for as often as I use it, it serves the purpose. I use a 2 cylinder compressor with a 60 gallon tank. The double socket was about 35 bucks. Also when I get a new (old) vehicle I loosen and retighten the inner and outer lugs, that way if I have a flat on the road,:cry: I know I will be able to remove the lugs with a bud wrench.:-D

dlc

Air wrench

I thought I saw someplace that the torque on wheel nuts was 850lbs. Anyway if you only use a 3/4" wrench (like I do) you better have a good one, have the pressure turned up higher than recommended, have a big hose, and have a big air supply too. I have never saw the pros use anything smaller then a 1" so what does that tell you.
I use an old second hand 3/4" wrench but I also use a 5/8" hose and have 1300 gals. Storage ( mostly for when I want to sand blast). Good Luck!

rickf

Any air tank will have an ASME metal tag welded to it with all of the spec's. It will be on the top or front where it is normally visible. If the tag is not on a tank in a commercial business then an insurance inspection or OSHA inspection would make you remove it.

Rick

KsM715

I thought I saw someplace that the torque on wheel nuts was 850lbs. Anyway if you only use a 3/4" wrench (like I do) you better have a good one, have the pressure turned up higher than recommended, have a big hose, and have a big air supply too. I have never saw the pros use anything smaller then a 1" so what does that tell you.
I use an old second hand 3/4" wrench but I also use a 5/8" hose and have 1300 gals. Storage ( mostly for when I want to sand blast). Good Luck!
400-425 on the inner thimbles and 325-355 on the outer lugnuts

Attachments

dittle

You never said what you're going to use for the air supply. If you going to use the deuce anything over 1/2" and your wasting your time. I've ran a 3/4" NAPA off mine once....it would hit 7 or 8 times and then I would have to wait for it to rebuild pressure. My 1/2" that I got from Northern Tool will take most if not all of my lug nuts off on my deuce.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I tend to disagree, Is there the right air flow to run the gun, no. Is there enough to get the lugnuts off, yes. I run a 1" drive off mine and it does work, just not the way it works on "shop air". Also, the air line that runs the impact is the most important. EVERY impact is rated at a certain CFM. If you cannot supply that number, you are not getting full torque. I have not seen it mentioned yet so I will throw this out there, some of the guys use what is called an "air pig". That is a smaller air line feeding a portable air tank and there is a larger hose from that tank to the gun. It will get you more air flow, but not longer run time.
Just my thoughts on this.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tend to disagree, Is there the right air flow to run the gun, no. Is there enough to get the lugnuts off, yes. I run a 1" drive off mine and it does work, just not the way it works on "shop air". Also, the air line that runs the impact is the most important. EVERY impact is rated at a certain CFM. If you cannot supply that number, you are not getting full torque. I have not seen it mentioned yet so I will throw this out there, some of the guys use what is called an "air pig". That is a smaller air line feeding a portable air tank and there is a larger hose from that tank to the gun. It will get you more air flow, but not longer run time.
Just my thoughts on this.
:ditto:

dittle

I guess I should go back on my statement a little bit. The air gun being used will dictate a lot on whether or not it will work based on CFM requirements. The 3/4" I had did not like the CFM provided by the 3/8" line back to my Emergency glad hand hookup.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I just want to be clear, I'm not trying to make anyone look bad. THAT seems to be an issue on the site recently. I just wanted him to know what to expect from a deuce's air system compared to "shop air". Things should get better here with MV events picking up and the weather getting better.

91W350

I want one of those International Scouts!
That guy was an International nut, he had that 10 door Travelall and several scouts, a couple of trucks, an ambulance, an old round top Travelall, several pickups....

Hey Gimpy, you suppose a guy could link a couple of M105 tanks or a cluster of four together for an air pig? Glen

Last edited:

dittle

I just want to be clear, I'm not trying to make anyone look bad. THAT seems to be an issue on the site recently. I just wanted him to know what to expect from a deuce's air system compared to "shop air". Things should get better here with MV events picking up and the weather getting better.
No worries GR, I didn't take it that way. A lot of posts here about good and bad air guns. I don't know the OP's experience with air tools so I thought I should re-state my post in regards to the individual air gun requirements make a big difference in whether it will work or not. My 1/2" gun requires a lot less than that 3/4" did but on shop air would take off some bolts that the 3/4" wouldn't....go figure. I do believe the 3/4" was on its last legs though when doing this work as it died recently.

BTW, I did get my MV fix in over the weekend. Took the wife out in the deuce and drove the M60A3 around a little bit. I am feeling much better now.

greg2560

I have a 1/2 Earthquake (china town) running at 145 psi 1/2 in hose got the outer nuts off. But the air psi had to be at no less than 130 to bust them off. Have not had to take the inside wheel off yet. So for a 75 doller harbor freight tool works good. I have had it over 3 years. You know that there is left and right hand threads on that truck right. You can look at the studs there should be a L or a R stamped on the center. A L stamp turn it right to take off. And a R stamp turn to left to take it off.

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well i changed the one tire yesterday, i used a 42 inch 3/4 drive breaker bar. it worked really nice. i am gonna buy an impact wrench through just to remove the bolts on the HEMMTT wheels, it will save alot of hand wrenching..i want to run it off my trucks air supply and i know it wont have much power, but i can use the breaker bar to tourqe everything down after that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks