• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air powered wiper Questions

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok, in the approximately 8 million threads here on SS concerning wiper motors, the general consensus is overwhelming that the plastic bodied air powered wipers suck.

Why do they suck more than the metal ones?

Let me explain....

I have about half a dozen plastic ones and every single one of them has the same problem: When you open the valve and provide pressure to them, they swing to the right and won't return. Pushing the red button rarely gets them moving back and forth on their own, it simply lets the arm come back to the left and it stays there until you release the button....... and the whole process is repeated.

So I took one apart and it is the picture of simplicity. The air pressure pushes the piston down the bore, until it uncovers an air passage, which allows air to travel and get behind the piston, thus reversing course. When the piston gets to the other side, the process is repeated.

All of mine have great seal-once that piston is bottomed out at one end, with full air pressure, I can barely move the manual level to manually wipe the windshield So I know the piston is sealing to the wall..........

So what is it about the metal ones that is so much better? Do they have larger air circuits that don't get clogged? Are clogged air passages the culprit in my plastic ones?

Discuss!!!

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the plastic warps and changes shape so parts that need to move do not move. the metal motors seem to last forever. i had a set of metal motors that were over 30 years old and they still worked great. you do not see plastic motors on OTR trucks, they seem to be smarter than the military.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, they warp I threw all mine in the trash and got a metal set from Antelope Valley when I was there, they work great.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Steve, that button needs to be out in order for it to go full swing. It worked before I sent it out. Try higher pressure air.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So who carries the metal ones and at what price? I see Antelope Valley doesn't have them on their website (actually, they hardly have anything on their website :roll: ) and I think Joe Young said he had sold all of his.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need to call Antelope, their website does not list anything. Norm will hook you up right.

kaiser2help

I have just put 2 new ones on my 5 ton. No problems. I have had previous ones that were very old. No problems. One problem I think certain people run into is that they over tighten the mounting screws. The metal ones hold up to a over toque situation better, they do not distort as easy. try installing them with a torque wrench ( 10 to 12 ft lbs should do it ) or just run the screws in by hand till you cant turn them no more and just give them a 1/4 to 3/8 of a turn. I think you will find that this should help. Experimented one time and ran the plastic motors, while they were running I kept tightening the mounting screws and guess what. They got stuck. Not saying this will fix everyones problem. But it did mine.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
devilman96 said:
http://www.odiron.com/store/index.php?cPath=4_56_93

Clint.. Dont make me shoot you!!! LOL
Shoot me? Well, don't bring a knife to a gunfight, pilgrim. I got's the potato cannon loaded up and enough hair spray and ether for a WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*clinto sneaks to garage to figure out how to mount M112 spudlauncher to Deuce*

I looked this morning and didn't see the metal body text.....weird.

BEASTMASTER

first thing i did when i got my cheapos was squirt some air tool oil in each one and work it manually for a while ,put them on the truck 4 years ago and still working great.still squirt some oil in them at least once a year. :driver:

dmetalmiki

be carefull with wipers

Two folks I know of sqirted oil in the wipers and they promptly SIEZED solid!! remember oil? will "sweat" the rubber seals up!..

devilman96

RE: be carefull with wipers

I looked this morning and didn't see the metal body text.....weird.
I added it today... I keep forgetting people mistake them for plastic if its not stated...

Fire up the spud launcher brother, gonna need that thing at the rally!!! LOL

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: be carefull with wipers

I am working on the gatling gun version, but it seems to have an issue feeding...............

JDToumanian

I added it today... I keep forgetting people mistake them for plastic if its not stated...
Nice. Those are now on my wish list. I'd go even farther and put it in the title, "Metal Bodied Air Wiper Motors" so it's known without clicking on the picture... Casual browsers might think you're charging $80 for plastic ones if they didn't click on the picture...

Jon

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks