• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air powered wiper Questions

SpruceDeuce

i am looking for a plastic wiper motor for now used and cheap and working mine is seized up and i took it all apart and it is still broken anyone got one for me??

thanks a ton

Oldgrunt

clinto
was just reading about the wiper motors and saw your line about the spud gattling gun. Kipman and I are building an air powered spud gun, and would love to have the specs on the gattling gun
Semper Fi
Old Grunt

Deuce1/2

I just recently bought a new set of the plastic ones for my M185A3 from secoparts.net ($225 motor, arms and blades). Installed the motors. The arms didn't fit the motor shafts, had to drill them out to 17/64" to get them to fit. At first neither motor worked at all. I operated the manual handle on the driver side several times and got it to start working. The passenger side one goes to the right and stops, just as the old one did. I've never gotten the passenger side one to work and sometimes the drivers side still gets stuck. I haven't done anything further to them, got frustrated after spending all that $$$. I'll either take them apart eventually or just find me a set of steel ones. I'm looking for a place that sells the steel ones.

Darylfraser

I found 2 NOS metal motors on eBay last year, still had cosmoline on them. Bench tested them, one worked, one did not. I disassembled the inoperative one, found zero issues. I installed the working one and left the inop one on the bench. Months later, out of morbid curiosity, I bench tested the “bad” one again. It worked fine! So of course, I immediately installed it and guess what? Now it doesn’t work again. New air lines, plenty of pressure from the valve. I don’t know. Plenty of Rain X and with a soft top, I’ll limit my wet weather driving.

Deuce1/2

I found 2 NOS metal motors on eBay last year, still had cosmoline on them. Bench tested them, one worked, one did not. I disassembled the inoperative one, found zero issues. I installed the working one and left the inop one on the bench. Months later, out of morbid curiosity, I bench tested the “bad” one again. It worked fine! So of course, I immediately installed it and guess what? Now it doesn’t work again. New air lines, plenty of pressure from the valve. I don’t know. Plenty of Rain X and with a soft top, I’ll limit my wet weather driving.
I reckon they're just a bad design all together. I've read that some are converting to electric wipers. Might be the way to go to get reliable functioning wipers. A bit more than I wanted to have to do.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I reckon they're just a bad design all together. I've read that some are converting to electric wipers. Might be the way to go to get reliable functioning wipers. A bit more than I wanted to have to do.
A couple of drops of MMO in the air hose feeding the wipers - and let it run for a while - could greatly improve wiper performance. Don't go off the deep end, just a few drops...

Darylfraser

Electric is probably the way to go but I want to keep mine 1971 correct and I do enjoy the sound of the air wipers when they do work!

rustystud

I've yet to find one of these that couldn't be fixed to work again as it should - for a good while at least.
Insufficient- or deteriorated lubricant is the main problem, most often.
Gerhard is correct. Most all air-wipers just need a little oil like "Marvel mystery oil" to get them to function properly again.
As far as which is best, air or electric. Air can handle more weight like "snow" . Electric tends to shut down when exposed to too much weight/burden like heavy snow. It also burns up motors, while air when exposed to too much weight/burden just stops, then resumes when the burden is removed.
Granted electric is more consistent in operation then air, which tends to slow down then speed up depending on the air pressure available.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks