• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air ride seats

baxter

Iam going to do it as soon as I finish my hydro steering so I can install smaller wheel then they should fit nice.

Vaughn

bigelk50

I am putting a set in my M818. I used Bostrom 914 seat bases and seats out of a Saturn. The drivers side is in and I hope to have the other one in tomorrow.

goldneagle

I bought a used one on Ebay and installed it in my 5 ton (same cab as a Deuce) It fit great after some modification of the frame. I made it fit the same way as the spring ride seat by adding a steel plate to the bottom that lines up with the 4 bolt holes already in the floor.

Attached pictures show the seat from Ebay ad, after installation and complete with leather seat cover.

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am definitely in the minority as I prefer the box seat. My rationale...while the spring seat has the shock, you basically are sitting on foam on top of plywood. Eventually, your a$$ feels as though you are sitting directly on the plywood since the foam has compressed during a long trip. Compare that to the box seat, which is a cushion on top of springs. I think they are much more comfortable on long trips. Most guys don't drive their trucks on long trips. I have driven mine on trips as long as 17 hours and several times of eight hours or more so I can compare the two. No comparison in my opinion. Now, would I remove the spring seat to mount the box seat? No. I just don't think the difference either way is great enough to justify removing the seat. Now, I have installed an air-ride seat where the passenger seat is located.

bigelk50

Goldneagle Great looking seats!!

Chris10980, Mine is a soft top too!! I bet that some one has found out the hard way in the past!!

bgekky3

I drove across the country with the wife and cat. I put an air ride on her side, but I felt too close to the steering wheel to be comfortable.

Attachments

bgekky3

I got two seats one red one blue for $75.00 at a salvage yard. They didn't have a pair. My wife made covers for them out of camo fabric that she got at walmart.

jesusgatos

At some point I plan on taking the spring out of my springer seat and replacing it with an air spring from Mcmaster Carr, and a control valve so I can adjust the pressure.
That's what I've been thinking about too. I've got a box seat though, and I haven't found a spring seat to play with yet. I'm halfway through a 1,500 mile road-trip right now and that project will be near the top of my priority list when I get back home...

bgekky3

Jesus, I used a taller seat for my wife. The one for my side was a Pete shorter seat. I was too close to the wheel. If I cut material from the back of the cab or the seat it would fit better. I didn't have time to do that before I left. I drove 1800 miles in three days. I put a cushon on the box seat and was fine. Without the cushon my hind end was fine for 8 hours before I felt like I needed a break. I sat in a spring ride seat and I immediately felt too close to the wheel, but never drove one. I still have the extra air ride seat, but I don't think I will install it. I am still realativly young and time changes everything, but for now I am content.

One thing I did was put 22.5 old ford wheels and bus tires on it. They really smoothed out the ride and made the truck steer and drive better. Maybe someone who has 11.0 r 20s can chime in on the difference in ride quality of those VS the NDTs. 11echo was impressed how the front axle with the bus tires pulled the truck over the hill to get out of where joeypusher had his truck stuck last week. I could only get 4 wheels, so I do not have the rear axle connected. My truck was heavy with all my belongings in the back and the 105 for the trip to Ohio. I was running 3rd and 4th on all the big hills. I had a hard time running the minum speed on the interstates with hills. Good luck with the mods.

jesusgatos

I'm actually supposed to be picking up a set of 13 Firestone T831 11.00R20's from 100dollarman on this trip and... I'm going with a full-hydro steering setup so I'll be able to run a much smaller steering wheel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks