• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air ride seats

bgekky3

Then you will be good to go. Put a pyro on, turn up the fuel, and watch the guage on the hills. I was running 1100 to 1200 at 4,000 feet unloaded. At less than 1,000 feet I couldn't get over 900 loaded. I turned up the fuel three or four flats, and I am running 1,000 to 1,100. I have a D turbo. If you put some insulation and a muffler sus gatos estarian bien (your cats will be fine).

jesusgatos

I've already added a muffler, and a pyro is on the list. I think the fuel has already been turned-up, because this thing runs pretty strong. There are no cats, except for me (Jesse Katz -> jesusgatos), but I've got two dogs that will be traveling with me.

Hammer

I didn't turn up the fuel on it Jesse, the NG unit did it.

I haven't found a seat that will fit with enough room left over for the steering wheel.
I think I will take the air bag/spring replacement route as well.

Btw, I would think it should be very easy to MAKE a suspension seat setup for the bottom cushion. Any one ever looked at the suspension seats? Tube frame, and some stretchy belts.

jesusgatos

Yeah, I remember you telling me that when I picked it up Ed. As Im getting into this thing, it seems like it was pretty well cared for. I'm really happy that I ended up with this truck. The ONLY bad thing I've found out o far is that some of the steel plates in the floor appear to be seriously rusted out under the undercoating. But the 2x6's seem solid, so it should be good to go for a long time yet.

Making a suspension seat bottom wouldn't e very difficult at all, but I'm leaning towards setting a low-back baja-type suspension seat on top of an air-ride or springer frame. I don't know whether I'm just going to order one and keep the bench (re-padded & re-covered), or put in two new seats and a console.

rolling18

I'm trying to add my air ride now but cant figure out how to mount it!!
the seat itself fits fine BUT.....
how did you mount your base to the floor/?? espically with the tool box blocking access to where the bolt would go??
thanks!!
Marc

rolling18

I am putting a set in my M818. I used Bostrom 914 seat bases and seats out of a Saturn. The drivers side is in and I hope to have the other one in tomorrow.
I'm trying to add my air ride now but cant figure out how to mount it!!
the seat itself fits fine BUT.....
how did you mount your base to the floor/?? espically with the tool box blocking access to where the bolt would go??
thanks!!
Marc

Tool box? I don't have a tool box in the way. I mounted my seats to a 5/16 plate, just like the plate to which the spring seat was mounted and used the original four mounting holes in the floor. Air seats need a very wide and solid mounting pattern as the seat belts are part of the seat and not mounted to the floor.

rolling18

Tool box? I don't have a tool box in the way. I mounted my seats to a 5/16 plate, just like the plate to which the spring seat was mounted and used the original four mounting holes in the floor. Air seats need a very wide and solid mounting pattern as the seat belts are part of the seat and not mounted to the floor.

oo ok that would be why the box is not in the way...
i think i will need to go the plate route for the reasons you mentioned, I just have not seen any others who ave done this mod mention the plate or how to mount the seat..

and by tool box i meant the storage box under the cab :grin:
happy thanks giving!!! too :jumpin:

rolling18

yes!! Finally seat is in!! welded to plate steel and bolted in stock holes VERY comfortable!!

now have many adjustments attached air line with quick fit 1/4 in tube
add 2 Semi truck air horns w/ shut off to the exisiting horns LOUD!!!

roady

yes!! Finally seat is in!! welded to plate steel and bolted in stock holes VERY comfortable!!

now have many adjustments attached air line with quick fit 1/4 in tube
add 2 Semi truck air horns w/ shut off to the exisiting horns LOUD!!!

Can we see the pictures. I have a couple of air ride seats that I plan on installing.

macdevious

Nice Idea a air ride seat, goldeneagle, What was the exact seat or di you think any will work. I know they make a big difference, as When I was a cross country trucker I started out in a cab over without one. then switched to a conventional with an air ride seat and driving was a lot less tiring and stressful!!