• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Tank

JohnnyBM931A2

As part of my ongoing project to add an additional air tank for my 1" impact gun, I ran across a slight problem. While looking for a place to "tee" in for the air line, I found an unused port on my lower air tank. Problem is, the plug is stuck in there solid after 24 years of not being moved. I tried wrenching on it with an allen key and pipe, as well as using penetrating oil and letting it soak in.. No luck. Would it be ok to hit that plug and bung with a MAP gas torch to try and loosen it? I just don't want to risk any weakening of the metal on such an important component. And does anyone happen to know what thread those plugs are? 1/2" is too small, and 3/4" is too large. I'm guessing 5/8npt.. Is that even a size? :confused:

Any help is appreciated :)

JohnnyBM931A2

UPDATE: I fail.... lol. So I decided to bite the bullet and hit the plug with my MAP torch. After only about 15 seconds worth of heat, it came out easily with a hand allen key. The fail part came in when I looked at the plug after it came out.. It's 1/2" NPT, like all my other fittings :doh: It must have been all the paint buildup, or maybe just an optical illusion... lol.

Everything worked out in the end :)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
When putting heat to a air tank, MAKE sure that the drain petcock is OPEN and WORKS (not plugged), a air tank WILL EXPLODE, and does not take much heat to cause the event.

Check the threads for rust and pits. You don't want to rely on pipe dope to create a good seal. You could chase the threads with a tap to freshen them up. Be careful not to go to deep.

dmetalmiki

All my trucks have quick fit fit hose conectors after the drain taps. Also a glad hand adaptor and long line with connector for tools etc. The additional tank is usefull (if like me) you have air power steering fitted. (deuces).
My 1" impact for wheel nuts works just fine out of the glad hand. (emergeancy side (red)).

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I added a 12 gallon reserve tank and tee'd it in at the wet tank after the dryer with a manual valve in the cab. I keep it pressurized at full pressure and it's there if I need some extra air.

JohnnyBM931A2

I added a 12 gallon reserve tank and tee'd it in at the wet tank after the dryer with a manual valve in the cab. I keep it pressurized at full pressure and it's there if I need some extra air.
Yeah I added a 7 gallon Manchester tank on top of my rear toolbox. It is painted to match the truck, and I think it looks pretty good.. Very industrial. Now that I was able to get the plug out of the air tank on the truck, I piped everything in. Everything between the factory air tank and my air tank is 1/2". I also put a ball valve in after the factory air tank, so I can shut off the line to my new tank when I want. And finally, I did put a separate 1/4" drain line in for the new tank so I can drain the water out.

I think it should work out well :)

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ya got a picture of that and where you mounted it

Sure. Valve is beside the seat and keeps 125 psi in it. Tank is located beside the dryer up out of the way. I lost my air compressor too many times and wanted some " extra " air in an emergency if needed. If I get in the truck with empty tanks, I open the valve and get 45+ psi in all tanks at start up. I'll close it and open it after I get on the road to refill it. Plus it gives me a little extra capacity from the red glad hands if needed.

20151002_191126.jpg 20151002_191352.jpg 20151002_191505.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks