• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

aircraft stripper

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
has anybody ever used this wonderful stuff?? i tried it today on a panel i took off my deuce. it really gets the paint off good, mine is one of those brush painted 38 times trucks and it takes care of business. im plannning on doing my whole truck with this stuff, anybody have any tips or tricks to get the most out of it??

mattgw86

Use it with a pressure washer. Put the stripper in a spray bottle, spray it on, then brush it around with a paintbrush. Let it sit for a few minutes, then pressure wash the paint away. It's pretty messy, but it works.

Alredneck

Banned
poor girl never stood a chance:cry:

I had a stripper ruin my paint on my hood once, it made me madder than heck! She was thin but I doubt she woulda fit in a spray bottle!:roll:

goldneagle

Aircraft Stripper is nasty stuff! If you get it on your skin you will know. Make sure your wear protective gloves. I used it to strip a 1966 GMC walk-in van. It had many coats of different paint on it. The stripper took them all off. Best stuff out there for stripping paint! Only problem with pressure washer is you get the residue all over the place. Gonna be a hell of a cleanup!

I would use a scraper to remove most of the paint once the stripper loosens it up. Pressure wash whatever is left. Less mess that way.

Make sure no kids or pet make contact with this stripper. Its very dangerous.

grizcty

has anybody ever used this wonderful stuff?? i tried it today on a panel i took off my deuce. it really gets the paint off good, mine is one of those brush painted 38 times trucks and it takes care of business. im plannning on doing my whole truck with this stuff, anybody have any tips or tricks to get the most out of it??
Mudlord,

I use this stuff, all the time on my equipment.
It works well, and easy to use.
The heaver the layers of paint, the better it works.

I pour it into a coffee can, and the use a 4-5" heavy duty paint brush.
Paint it on, let it dry & roll the paint off.
A putty knife helps scrape some areas off.
Keep the can out of the sun, as it swells up.

CAUTION: Use this stuff OUTSIDE!l
Also DON'T breath this stuff, while opening the can.
They say it is bad for your brain/memory.

What was I writing about , I forgot???

Oh, now I remember. :idea:

The guys down at Crappa,.
Are telling me that it is getting harder to get. And more $.
I guess the Government, found out that this stuff really works.
And now they want to remove it from the market.
Environment hazard. Go figure....
Don't get me started, on this subget!:x

airmech3839

I have actually used it on aircraft. A trick we use is a sheet of plastic that will help keep it moist and work longer and deeper through the layers. Plastic will be trashed but it works. Don't (if at all possible) do it outside in the sun. Use proper venting and protection. Alcohol or Methel ethel ketone will rinse it off. don't get it on wire harnesses or any plastic you wanna keep. Just what I know! Have fun!!!

oh and for good measure!!
nopics
couldn't resist!!

wdbtchr

I've been getting the Klean Strip brand from the local Sherwin Williams store. It's the only stripper I've found that will remove CARC without problems. Eye protection is a good idea, but also protect your lungs. I use a full face respriator with the yellow chemical cartriges, the ones with activated carbon. Too much of the fumes and you'll get fluid build up in your lungs and that's not good. Takes about a week to clear out.

Last edited:

ohnuts

It really does work better if you don't brush the stripper back and forth. The can will say something about this. Used it on every hot rod and muscle car I ever did. Use a a brush that is for paste a thick and natural fiber. Then brush one coat in one pass and then move on.

Liked using green scrub pads and lots of soap and water to scrub the bits left. After the scrub down dry fast.

Some friends would use floor wax on an area they had stripped but did not want to paint yet. Good oxygen barrier. I always went with PPG self etching epoxy base primer. The epoxy is acidic and will etch itself into the metal and bond like the devil in a cork. PPG is a true oxygen barrier and a panel primed will stay rust free after that nasty rock or three months in storage without paint. An impact will lose paint but not the primer. Well worth the time after the down to metal strip.

Last edited:

ohnuts

This stuff will blind you and scar you for life. People with no sensitivity will really get hurt by this stuff. If you have any one around who is young old or stupid keep them clear. I always kept a Huge bucket with clean water and a towel in it to get the stuff off that splatters. Just wait till you rinse it off and a strong splatter makes it near soft spots. By the time the pain starts it will go on by a factor of ten , if treated fast and effective.

Very much a love hate thing.

ohnuts

wdbtch is right. I only ever used this stuff outdoors. Prefer warm cloudy days with no direct sun. Spotlights at night are great the evaporation rate is slower with no sun and the chemical works longer.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
thanks guys, i think im going to try the plastic trick. i have had a problem with evaporation. luckily i can hide from the sun pretty well when doing it. i've been taking parts off that i can and doing them, im waiting to get enugh ready so i can spray a cup of primer and use it all.
does anybody know if this stuff is available in gallons, or even 5 gallon buckets?? i was thinkin that a vat of the stuff would be nice, i could dip parts that were smaller and harder to evenly coat in it and then hang them up and pressure wash them.

Nonotagain

thanks guys, i think im going to try the plastic trick. i have had a problem with evaporation. luckily i can hide from the sun pretty well when doing it. i've been taking parts off that i can and doing them, im waiting to get enugh ready so i can spray a cup of primer and use it all.
does anybody know if this stuff is available in gallons, or even 5 gallon buckets?? i was thinkin that a vat of the stuff would be nice, i could dip parts that were smaller and harder to evenly coat in it and then hang them up and pressure wash them.
If you have a commercial account, PRC DeSoto, now part of PPG paints owns a company named Eldorado Chemical. DoD Military-Approved Products

Their claim to fame is producing chemical strippers certified to military specifications. Mil-R-81294 covers the product that I use. PR-3500 contains methylene chloride and phenol. Not good to breath, but works extremely well.
http://www.eldoradochem.com/pb/PR-3500-PB.pdf

There are more environmentally friendly strippers, but those take longer to work, and in my opinion aren't worth the trouble. Your results may vary.

The last time I purchased this product, I believe the cost was around $125 for a 5 gallon pail.

wdbtchr

I don't know about 5 gallon pails, but the Klean Strip brand if available in gallons, that's the way I get it the quarts are to expensive.

FrankUSMC

The shop at work next to ours is called the "strip barn", and that is all they do is strip aircraft paint off with stripper.
They also use the plasic on the floor trick, great for clean up.
This week we had 8 drums (55 gal) of unopened aircraft stripper turned into us for disposel. DRMO sometimes sells it, but most of the time they send it out as a haz.waste. Less work for them.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
If you have a commercial account, PRC DeSoto, now part of PPG paints owns a company named Eldorado Chemical. DoD Military-Approved Products

Their claim to fame is producing chemical strippers certified to military specifications. Mil-R-81294 covers the product that I use. PR-3500 contains methylene chloride and phenol. Not good to breath, but works extremely well.
http://www.eldoradochem.com/pb/PR-3500-PB.pdf

There are more environmentally friendly strippers, but those take longer to work, and in my opinion aren't worth the trouble. Your results may vary.

The last time I purchased this product, I believe the cost was around $125 for a 5 gallon pail.
thats some nice info in the links you posted. so im guessing to get a commercial account i would have to buy a large quantity, prolly way more than i would need to do the job?? if all that they would want is a tax id or somthing i could work that out

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks