• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alaska to Alabama in Brutus

Jericho

Add a quart of Marvel Mystery oil to each tank up, carry spare belts and tools to change them, 4 or 5 spray cans of brake cleaner to wash things and spray down the clutch disc if you have too, When you stop for fuel stop, check oil in engine, it will pay dividends, Did a 21 hour from Delaware to New Hampshire , ( forty miles short of Canada) Co driver was ready to jump ship after 10 hrs, Good Luck !!

EO2NMCB

Turned out to be bad fuel. Got fewsh fuel in the tank and he is back to normal. Was a bit of a scare especially since contact was so difficult out there. Didn't help that it was 45 and raining. Got to Prince George about 4 am. Hit up the Napa and am grabbing a bite to eat then back on the road. Will be trying for some where near seattle as our next stop. Sorry for no pictures, the wife has them on her camera. Will get them up as soon as I can.
Where did you get the bad fuel at? I ask as I bid on a load going to AK. Glade to hear you are rolling again!

AZK9

Nice to know that you are able to solve the problems as they pop up.

Keep on keeping on! :goodjob:

TB58

We saw caribou 6x6 on our way through. Everything was running well or we might have stopped in.

The bad fuel was from Haines Junction.

New day, new problem. When I am in 5th gear I get a nasty rattle from what sounds like the transmission. It started nice and quiet and has grown louder. It is when under a load or holding me back going down a hill. Clutch in or coasting on the flat it doesnt rattle. I hear the rattle and feel it in the stick. Shifts fine, stays in gear, and all other gears are normal. Opened the top of the transmission and everything looks good. Didnt see any broken teeth. Going to continue on south. On 97 to 1

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the bolts on the jackshaft between trans and transfer. They are known to back off.

TB58

Ill check them. Wouldnt it rattle through all gears if it were the jack shaft?

we were hoping to make the boarder but 30mph in 4th it is taking way too long. Pulled off in a spot with cell reception. Going to get some sleep and check here again.

DavidWymore

Hopefully just drive shaft flange bolts or a ujoint. It may be the trans output bearing or the one right below it. Either can be changed with the trans in the truck. I just went though something similar, changed the lower, still makes noise on/off throttle like yours and the main shaft drifts fore and aft with throttle on and off, so I still need to change the upper/output. You can put the TCase in Neutral, pull the sheetmetal trans cover, and see/hear what's going on down there pretty easily. You could also look from the bottom, but that would be awful dangerous...

Check out post #214 here, bearing part number, etc.:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?42844-Got-a-Deuce!/page6

Blackbear

Agree check bolts I was going to say see what's hot but it's all going to be pretty warm, only when it gear check for leaks around transfer case, plenty of oil I'm sure you checked that,hope you make it to repair territory.
post your pics, change ears plugs.

TB58

Checked the jack shaft, all tight. There are leaks but fluid levels are holding steady. Everything is about the same temp under there. I put the t-case in neutral and tried 5th. Still have the rattle. I can feel the vibration as soon as i put the lever in 5th even stopped.

Slowly making my way south. Pulling over every few minutes to let people pass. Hoping to be at the boarder in about 2 hrs.

m109a2

What I did when I made my little 1200 mile run is to buy a cheap if thermometer to check my hubs when I left n.c. it was 20 below taken my gloves off was not going to happen worked out great the farther south I got the ice and snow was melting this little device come very handy sometimes noise = heat I would run it in 4th gear for a bit stop shoot a read proceed shift into fifth gear run a bit stop and shoot again.Just my 2 cents.Al

TB58

I have a ir thermometer, hubs are all around 130 in mid 80's heat. Trans was about 160 same with transfer case. We made it to Chilliwack. Getting food and streatching legs. I pm'd cheatindeath. If I dont hear back im going to continue my slow crawl to Bellevue where i can work in a friends driveway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks