• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

All the stuff I did to my deuce, right here

Heath_h49008

10% is safe in your experience.

Awesome! I know the freezing points... I will probably empty the system when not in use for a few days anyway, but it's nice to know how much meth I can run safely. 3 months out of the year I need to keep it dry, or put a bottle blanket on it.

Thank you!

JOEDEUCE

Ive learned a lot of useful info reading this thread , I am certainly interested in the exhaust brake..... Which would certainly help slow these trucks down.... Thank you for sharing...

sewerzuk

Thought I would post a few updates...still working on the exhaust brake project...not much progress though. I got a couple of valves that I really didn't like, so I'm still on the hunt for a good one.

I experienced wheel bearing failures on both front hubs. Mostly my own fault for not doing the necessary PM on them after some water/mud/sand crossings, but all 4 rears were in excellent shape. Since the same seals and bearings are used front and rear, I have to assume that the source of contamination was the milemarker hubs. I have new bearings and seals in there now, and I have a trip planned that may introduce more junk into the hubs. I'll disassemble them right away after the trip to see what they look like. If I have more foreign debris in there, I'll have to conclude that the hubs don't seal well, and I'll be on the lookout for a set of ouversons.

Planned in the next 3 weeks:
Lockers in the front axle and one of the tandems. I'll be sure to take some pics of the install. I've done at least 30 locker/gear installs in other vehicles, but I've never done one in a rockwell.

And, here's a clip of the Warn commercial my Deuce was in. This was filmed at the 2011 Mudfest in Sweet Home, OR. Here's the website:
The Mud - SFWDA
I'll be going again this year in March.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F652JOD7OK4[/media]

sewerzuk

What lockers do you plan on running? I plan on running grizzlies front and then the rear axle. going to use no lockouts for now
I have two Grizzlies on the way...so that is what is going in there for now.
I MAY have a lead on 3 really inexpensive ARBs; that would be awesome if it pans out.
I have a pair of donor axles in the shop I am currently rebuilding. If the ARB's come through, the grizzlies will be going back into the donor axles and the ARB's into the deuce.
I just want to get some kind of lockers in the deuce before mudfest. Got stuck twice last year in positions that I would have easily been able to drive out of if I was locked up.

srodocker

sweet. yea im not doing crazy mudding or offroading or anything but having lockers is a sense of security. still trying to find a deal on the winch you have...

mudguppy

ha - nice spot in the video!!!! looked, great!

... If I have more foreign debris in there, I'll have to conclude that the hubs don't seal well, and I'll be on the lookout for a set of ouversons. ...
i'd be interested in your results. i have the OEM hubs; the seals look pretty comprehensive...

and, if i may ask, why did you go w/ Grizzly's and not OEM lockers? i'm guessing price, but...?

sewerzuk

ha - nice spot in the video!!!! looked, great!

i'd be interested in your results. i have the OEM hubs; the seals look pretty comprehensive...

and, if i may ask, why did you go w/ Grizzly's and not OEM lockers? i'm guessing price, but...?

How do you like the OEM hubs? I looked at their hubs not too long ago...nice stuff but lots of $$. You still running 16 spline outers?

I went with the milemarkers for 2 reasons; first was that they are much shorter than the ouversons. Second was price ($250 less). They have one large o-ring that is the only seal. Impossible to tell how well it seats against the cap once it is assembled. I did have it well lubricated and packed with grease when I first installed them. I like savings...but feel like the $$ may have been misspent in this case. Almost losing a wheel on a freeway is not cool. In fact, the new bearings, seals, and spare spindle cost me more than the $250 I saved. Since all 4 rears looked good and both fronts were destroyed, I have to assume that it was the hubs that let the crud in.

I went with grizzly's mostly because of price. Based on numerous friends' experiences as well as some writeups on Pirate and a couple of other boards, they seem to hold up very well (better than Detroits). The OEM's have a good reputation too, but are over $100 more each than I paid for the Grizzlys.

DeucesWild11

sewerzuk, just wanted to say this whole thread has been a true inspiration and has helped me allot along the way. I did the same tire upgrade as you did and also have the exhaust for my stack, however I need to use adapters as I don't have a turbo and the pipes are smaller. Didn't install the exhaust yet though. I also like that 24 to 12 volt conversion you did.. All great stuff thanks for sharing! If you are ever in the NY area I owe you a few beers..

sewerzuk

sewerzuk, just wanted to say this whole thread has been a true inspiration and has helped me allot along the way. I did the same tire upgrade as you did and also have the exhaust for my stack, however I need to use adapters as I don't have a turbo and the pipes are smaller. Didn't install the exhaust yet though. I also like that 24 to 12 volt conversion you did.. All great stuff thanks for sharing! If you are ever in the NY area I owe you a few beers..
Thanks for the [thumbzup]

As luck would have it, I used to live in Saratoga Springs, and my wife's family is mostly in Schuylerville. My brother in law lives in Newburgh, not too far from you. I'm there every other summer...so I'll hit you up for that :beer: next time I'm on that coast!

mudguppy

How do you like the OEM hubs? I looked at their hubs not too long ago...nice stuff but lots of $$. You still running 16 spline outers? ...
I like the OEM hubs a lot; they're beefy. there are some pictures floating around that show the seal arrangement (I think Gringle' did a comparo w/ the Selectros?). nice design.

yes, still have stock shafts for now. I anticipate upgrading to the alloy 16spl, but don't expect to go to the 2" shafts. However, all of the 16spl parts are interchangeable with the 47spl parts; lockers and hubs. This was a big reason I went with OEM.

Side note: I just bought 2 ARBs for a project truck, haven't installed them yet. I've been contemplating that once the truck is put together, I may end up swapping one of the ARBs into the bob'er since the other truck will never see the street. Dunno. However, I could see this truck may need the 47spl shafts; therefore, it would be an easy upgrade with my existing hardware swapped over.

But I hope to be installing them in the next month or two. So, first one to get to it starts the install thread, agreed?

joshs1ofakindxj

picked up a set of spin on oil filter adapters from Westfolk a few weeks back; finally got around to installing them last night. A large number of filters work with these adapters, but I went with the Napa 1831's because of their 10 micron rating (filters better than the 26 micron factory filters), their anti-drainback valves, and their larger size. It was an easy install...no leaks, and my time to full oil pressure went from 12 seconds to just 2-3 seconds. My future oil filter changes will be much easier now, too.
Are you using those filters instead of the Napa 1458? I'm going to a Jatonka style spin on soon and if those 1831 are an interchangeable upgrade over the 1458 I'll go with those.

Thanks.

sewerzuk

Are you using those filters instead of the Napa 1458? I'm going to a Jatonka style spin on soon and if those 1831 are an interchangeable upgrade over the 1458 I'll go with those.

Thanks.
Yep; I am still running 1831's. However...I believe that Jatonka's kit uses a different thread size for his filters, so the 1831's won't work (I might be wrong...just going on memory). Westfolk's adapters work with a wide range of filters...including some pretty cheap chevy truck filters. I just went with the 1831's because they were the largest size and lowest micron count filters that I could find that fit. They are expensive...but I buy a big batch of filters a couple of times a year from Wix & Napa Filters & Accessories: FleetFilter Secure Online Store so I get a pretty big break on the price. I think I paid about $10 per filter the last time I bought them (they are $22 each at my local Napa).

Not trying to talk down Jatonka's adapters...they look like nice pieces. I just chose westfolk's adapters because of price and the filter I wanted to run.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks