• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison M916 + Mk48 Cab = 6x6 "FEMTT"

M920

Does your truck still have the CAT 3116? Any pros of the M920 over the M1070?
The XM920 MET (medium equipment transporter) is powered by a 600 hp Cummins ISX engine and an 18 speed Fuller Road Ranger transmission. It runs 79mph and cruises nicely at 65-70mph all day long.

The M1070 HET (heavy equipment transporter) is powered by a 500 hp 8V92 Deroit DDEC III / IV engine and an Allison HT750 five speed automatic transmission. It runs 47mph all day long....lol

The FEMTT (fast expanded mobility tactical truck) is powered by a 425hp Big Cam III Cummins and an Allison HD4070 seven speed automatic transmission. It runs over 80mph, also cruises nicely at 65-70mph and (as I recently found out) it has trouble following the HET and not have the rpm fall out of the power band on the lower end....lol

None of them ever had a CAT 3116 engine....are you maybe thinking the CAT 7155 16 speed transmission?

Soni

ev2bfree

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I read at the beginning of this thread that Soni was looking for a way to get more low end gearing on the FEMTT. I ended up with an extra Oshkosh two speed 55000 transfer case if Soni or anyone else needs one. New in 2008 still in the military crate.

Last edited:

M920

Rear quarter fenders and self recovery winch fairleads

I have been trying to find the roller fairleads that go on the front and back of the HEMTT ever since I got the side mounted, 20,000 pound self recovery winch!
Well a couple of weeks ago, I got an early Christmas present! I found a couple of them on Ebay brand new!
So after a few slight modifications (turns out Oshkosh was not planning on them being used on FEMTTs :( )I got them installed on the FEMTT.

The rear one is usable as we speak and the front one is awaiting the installation of a recently purchased cable tentioner to make it operational.

Since I needed to finish the rear winch mount and that required to have the right quarter fender integrated in to it, I decided to bite the sour apple and fabricate the left rear quarter fender as well....

Here are some pics....

Attachments

M920

Hanging a sign with the FEMTT

Here is a somewhat different view of the FEMTT....."riding the hook" to install a sign for our favorite breakfast "watering hole"....:-D

Btw...the gentleman standing by the rear of the FEMTT is famous racecar driver Al Unser senior....he stopped to see what we were doing....

Soni

Attachments

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a somewhat different view of the FEMTT....."riding the hook" to install a sign for our favorite breakfast "watering hole"....:-D

Btw...the gentleman standing by the rear of the FEMTT is famous racecar driver Al Unser senior....he stopped to see what we were doing....

Soni
Holy Moly!! Not only do you do EXCELLENT work, you get EXCELLENT people doing guest appearances! I feel like a kindergartner watching the college senior engineering professor, thinking "maybe one day"! WOW!!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Soni
I certainly hope you let him drive it!
As you know, I am an enthusiastic ambassador for the MV hobby. One question begs to be answered here....

Will we be welcoming Mr. Unser into our hobby anytime soon?

Why not, Arnold has a tank!

Carry on.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Sonny, as always, factory looking fab n install!, but I am wondering why you have a matching hole in the left 1/4 fender that doesn't have the self recovery winch infront of it, since they were both fab'd from scratch?
Maybe you want symmetrical road poop on the frame!!!
Sony LH flap.jpg

Will you be putting a split rubber flap over the self recovery cable on the right fender?

Last edited:

M920

Hey Sonny, as always, factory looking fab n install!, but I am wondering why you have a matching hole in the left 1/4 fender that doesn't have the self recovery winch infront of it, since they were both fab'd from scratch?
Maybe you want symmetrical road poop on the frame!!!
View attachment 590970

Will you be putting a split rubber flap over the self recovery cable on the right fender?
Good observation Zebedee and thanks for calling me out on that! lol
This hole is kind of a screw-up....haha! After fabricating the winch side first and building kind of a hawse fairlead in to the inboard side of the fender. it looked really stupid with the narrow one on the left. So we extended it inboard as well. It may have a use with some of the modules, to route the hydraulic hoses to the quick connects in a more straight way, but for now its just getting a bolted on cover.

It's funny you mentioned the rubber flap for the winch....I thought about that as well, butt I was afraid that the cable moves around too much (up and down and side to side) for a simple slot to work.
Also, on both sides the openings are inboard of the tire tread so not much "poop" gets thrown there anyway....lol

Soni

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks