• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison M916 + Mk48 Cab = 6x6 "FEMTT"

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Soni, a while back we saw a possible FEMTT twin in the background of your pictures. It was a NOS cab on a truck frame.

Another FEMTT project?

M920

Soni, a while back we saw a possible FEMTT twin in the background of your pictures. It was a NOS cab on a truck frame.

Another FEMTT project?
Yes that is the plan. I'm going to make it a 4x4 with a short wheel base. It will be able to accept all the same modules as the FEMTT, but will not have the crane. I also want to do air ride suspension, a 600HP ISX Cummins and the seven speed Allison HD4070.
Should be pretty capable.... :beer:

Here are a few more pics of what the whole FEMTT looks like with the new fenders.
I like the way it makes the back half of the truck look more as part of the whole FEMTT.

Soni

Attachments

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes that is the plan. I'm going to make it a 4x4 with a short wheel base. It will be able to accept all the same modules as the FEMTT, but will not have the crane. I also want to do air ride suspension, a 600HP ISX Cummins and the seven speed Allison HD4070.
Should be pretty capable.... :beer:

Here are a few more pics of what the whole FEMTT looks like with the new fenders.
I like the way it makes the back half of the truck look more as part of the whole FEMTT.

Soni
:not worthy:

M920

More Self Recovery Winch Cable Guides

With winter just around the corner I figured I better finish the Self Recovery Winch setup for routing the cable out the front of the FEMTT. Who knows....I might need it....:whistle:

So I was missing a support roller, right in front of the winch drum, to keep the cable from 'sawing' through the air tank brackets. This was an easy fix, with an extra Warn 18,000# roller fairlead that I had laying around. I just left out the top roller, in order to be able to feed the cable end with thimble thru it.
This got me to the front of the battery box. Here the cable needed to make a slight jag down and inboard, in order to miss all the steering linkage and the inside of the tire.
I had picked up a set of replacement sheaves for a Crosby 15 ton snatch block and we utilized them to fabricate a double sheave bracket that, after welded in place on the lower ROPS mount, aligns the cable with the front mounted roller fairlead.

This basically makes the front part of the Self Recovery Winch usable. I do want to add a cable tentioner, right behind the front fairlead, in order to keep tension on the cable between it and the drum.
This is most important when winching and driving the wheels at the same time. Without it, the cable could get slack at times and would run the danger to tangle with vital steering or brake components on the inside of the front wheel!
Never a good thing.....lol

Soni

Attachments

agazza2

Soni, Excellent work on the support rollers. Also in post 1166 photo 3 it looks like you also mounted a tool box in on the right hand front fender. Did you add the piece around the top, or did the box come like that?

Shark Bait

Today, I installed a Code 3 MX 7000 light bar on the cab of the FEMTT in anticipation of it's use in FIRE SERVICE this summer. I'm working on getting the diesel powered water pump and the hose reel installed in the rear compartment of the FSM.
Had not had a chance to take pics of that though....maybe tomorrow.

As requested, I spoke with my customer about doing a thread on the 'Adventure Motorhome' / 'Zombie Apocalyse Mobile'. Good news; he has no objections to such an activity and so IT'S A GO!!!!
Now I have to figure out a name for the thread....would that still go in to the '5 ton hot rod and modification' category?

Anyway....here are a couple more recent pics:

One is a side view of the 6x6 HET chassis cab....

The others are from a recent FEMTT axle articulation test....

Soni
Any updates on the "Adventure Motorhome"?

M920

Soni, Excellent work on the support rollers. Also in post 1166 photo 3 it looks like you also mounted a tool box in on the right hand front fender. Did you add the piece around the top, or did the box come like that?
Yes....the box is all aluminum and came like that. There are a couple more available. PM or text me if you are interested.

Soni

agazza2

FEMTT - Center stage at AMVCC Show

Soni, here are a few photos of the FEMTT at the AMVCC show. Your vehicle and your talent to create such a versatile vehicle is very impressive. Even after looking at this vehicle for two days, I wish I had more time to look at the FEMTT.

Attachments

OldDuke6

Soni,

HET full frame 6x6 Adventure Vehicle..

HET Full frame 8x8 Adventure Vehicle..

Also,

Look into mobile aviation expansible vans. When I was in Alaska, we had "A Frames" that with the turn locks, would secure the fore and aft ends, and were individually motorized for hydraulics. The forward A frame was trailer able, with a pintle tongue.

Just food for thought.

Duke

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what else have you done to/with your FEMTT since February (or any of your other vehicles) :mrgreen:

M920

FEMTT Action.....

I'm glad there is still some interest in this thread! So after a super busy summer I finally have the time to post an update with some new FEMTT pics!

The first three pics are from an M1000 recovery. I used the FEMTT and my M870A1. As you can see...the M1000 is a pretty healthy load for the M870A1!

The fourth pic is from a brush truck build for a local ranch. The FEMTT is used to lift the modified 900 gallon tank on to the back of the M35A2.

The last two pics are from the transport of ex RGS "Galloping Goose" #7 from the Colorado Railroad Museum to the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, for a special railfan event.
Here the FEMTT and M270A1 are posing at 10,015 foot Cumbres pass. One of four mountain passes that had to be traversed on this 300 mile run.

I'll post some more pics of this summers activities soon....

Soni

Attachments

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice!! Do you still have your namesake, your M920? I can't imagine it is getting much use with the HET and FEMTT around now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks