• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Almost Bought M1008. Some Questions

nyvram

So I have a few obvious questions that I didn't see 100% in the FAQ:

1. It has 315 75 16 tires on it. It appears to be the OEM rims so can I just purchase and put on the regular sized tires listed in the FAQ? Is there a good tire brand/model I should look for or more importantly..any I should avoid?

2. Towing. I'll be using an 06 Sequoia and the larger UHAUL trailer (with brakes) and the distance is about 150 miles although there is a BIG hill along the way that I'll probably be going about 35mph up and 35mph down. Toyota is rated to 6700lbs. Will I be ok if I go slow? Anything to look out for when selecting a trailer from uHaul?

3. I see alot about the starter relay/mod/ignition. Assuming I just want to go the simple route for now and get the igntion working properly, should I follow the 'mod' advice or what exactly is the most straightforward process for this?

4. Assuming we replace the glow plugs and the get the vehicle started and running with new tires, what else is MINIMALLY required initially to make this road-worthy? It won't be going on fast highways or the interstate, we just want a good road worthy vehicle to tool around in.

Very excited about it. :) Thanks and be gentle..I'm trying to learn all I can from this site and not bother y'all with questions you've answered a million times.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site.

P245-75-16s are the stock size. You can run just about anything on up. Many like the 265s. What are you going to be doing with the truck? Mainly on pavement or mainly off-road. That will dictate what type of tire you want.

Highway - The Michelin LTX M/S2 is a great tire for good wear and low noise.
Aggressive - The Goodyear Wrangler series gives you road noise

Before you start making improvements/mods get the truck running and see what you have to work with. No need to spend $$$ if it doesn't run. The CUCV Helpful Threads sticky will help with many of the issues you may run in to.

You may have an issue with the Uhaul trailer. The M1009 blazer barely fits on the older silver trailer. I do not think a pickup will fit at all. YMMV

The Sequoia may not be a good choice. It may work but will be at its limits.

Last edited:

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
U haul will not rent it to you if you tell them what your plans (really) are.
I also don't think they will allow you to tow it with anything less than a 3/4 ton truck.

Got a 'Plan B'?

nyvram

Plan b.. Fella from up north drove 10 hours and offered the seller $700 more and they took it.

So never mind. My son is sad. He's been saving for this for a long time and this was the perfect one.

I guess we'll just keep our eyes peeled.

nyvram

We had s gentleman's agreement because the truck was in another town and they said they would hold it until I could get down there this Saturday.

This other guy got wind of it and drove across the country and threw more money at them so I won't fault the seller.

Sure was looking forward to it though.

PS now that I'm here hopefully I can find another one. My son has earned it.. He's driven a tiny little Suzuki and worked his butt off to save money and I wanted him to have one to enjoy his senior year. He knows this won't always be running so he isn't planning on selling the other car so he can still have reliable transportation to his job.

Last edited:

M1008BOV

Welcome to the site! If in the future you're doing this again, don't tell uhaul what you're putting on that trailer. The truck should fit. I had a 1970 K20 on one with no issues and towed it over 6 hrs. That was with a 3/4 ton truck though. The only issue I had is, it had big tires on it, so I took some 235/85/16's with me to bolt on so the front tire straps would fit to secure it to the trailer as intended. That would be quite a load with your Sequoia, but if you kept the speed reasonable and it wasn't that far, it should be ok. Those uhaul trailers have surge brakes, hold a good majority of the weight (the right amount of tongue weight) and tow nicely.

Just out of curiosity, do you have pics of that truck from the ad and mind me asking what he was asking for it? I only ask because I may be selling mine in the future :( :(

Last edited:

nyvram

Thanks!: great info. Ad is down now but I don't think they would mind me posting the details since the guy is on his way to Ohio with it.

I copied the pics.. See if link below works.

I was paying $2500 and it was in Chattanooga. The Ohio fella beat me to the punch and paid $3200.

If you want details of the upgrades they had made I can post that too.

Pm me the second you put yours up for sale! I'm still very much in the market and can go higher than that if necessary.

https://goo.gl/photos/wAtu3jo9j8dseqwf8

Al Harvey

One word of advice, beware of the "needs starter". I'd say that many of those trucks had the starter support bracket removed. If that bracket is not on the starter, the torque of the starter will eventually pull the bolts out or break them off. If it strips the threads in the block, the main fix is to drill it out and put helicoils in. If you don't have any experience with those, they can be a pain. Especially on your back looking up.

nyvram

pic links are frowned upon here.
:( why? should i upload them to here or just not post links at all? i was just showing what the truck looked like but I can pull that link down if it violates any site rules.

Al Harvey

The links are frowned upon because later in life when sites close or people move there pictures, those images are gone here forever. Now in this situation I don't think it is a big deal, but if you were showing a modification that other would want to replicate, you can see where there could be an issue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks