• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Almost ready

Alucard-HD

Ok, i think i'm almost ready with manual GP controller. This is what i have.

Wire (4 gage and 10 gage)
Momentary Swtich
Ford Starter solenoid
New GP wires with Ceramic heads

Anything else i need?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why do you need all that? All you should need to convert a stock cucv to a manual control(push button), is a momentary closed switch, and a piece of 12 or 14ga wire. This has been posted before.

Ford starter solenoid? You need to be more specific. Is the coil chassis grounded? Are you creating a totally new control circuit? It sound like you don't know what your doing, and if you use the wrong parts and or wire it incorrectly, your not going to get what you want.

New glow plug wires with ceramic heads, has me confuse also!

Alucard-HD

Why do you need all that? All you should need to convert a stock cucv to a manual control(push button), is a momentary closed switch, and a piece of 12 or 14ga wire. This has been posted before.

Ford starter solenoid? You need to be more specific. Is the coil chassis grounded? Are you creating a totally new control circuit? It sound like you don't know what your doing, and if you use the wrong parts and or wire it incorrectly, your not going to get what you want.

New glow plug wires with ceramic heads, has me confuse also!

I'm creating my own set up. Every where else tells me to use what i just listed. What part of that don;t you understand? As far as the wires go they cam with ceramic heads on them, they are new wires that came when i bought my turbo.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everywhere else? Like websites? Not here on SS.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why would you get all your information elsewhere, then ask here(SS)? That make no sense. I would ask your question "over there".

Without more information on what you have and what your goals are, I can't help you.

I can tell you, if you don't understand what parts you need and how to hook them up correctly to whatever setup you have, you will most likely waste your time and money.

jakwi

Hey man don't take offence, I think what doghead was trying to say is that you can do it with less assuming that all that was burned up was your gp card, but if you want to go with all new stuff what you have should work. Essentially all you are doing is switching 12v to the glowplugs using a switch to control the relay. The ford starter relay should work fine if it's the one I'm thinking of.

ralbelt

From what I have read here, because this is something I want to add to my M1008, all I need is a momentary switch and a piece of 12 ga wire, ty it into the light blue wire at the GP card and all is good. My stock system still works so I want to add this as a back up.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ralbelt, With a stock system, you simply add the new wire to the light blue wire(at the card or at the GP relay), Then connect it to one terminal of your Momentary switch, on the other terminal of the switch, connect it to a good ground. That's it.

CUCV85

These fellas take offense to the simplest replies
to THEIR post. alucard-hd
If I ever was to go to the manual push button
(I'd wire to where the light blue wire connected at the GP Relay "solenoid"<---some like to call it.
I'd do exactly what you told me to PERIOD!
Especially answer your simple question back to help You help US...
To snap at a site Moderator makes me say
(fella you might want to check yourself) better yet check out the guy your DOGGING <----- sorry I had to Eric rofl

Last edited:

Alucard-HD

Well it doesnt matter. I worked on the truck over the weekend and everything works as it should. And i did it with the parts i have listed

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...... I worked on the truck over the weekend and everything works as it should. And i did it with the parts i have listed
Can you write up how you did it, with photos? That would help others if they wanted to do it your way.

Matt65

Can you write up how you did it, with photos? That would help others if they wanted to do it your way.

I'd be curious how you did it as well. Pictures here and there if possible. Where did you mount the momentary switch? One day I will be taking the Card out of the loop.

Alucard-HD

I'd be curious how you did it as well. Pictures here and there if possible. Where did you mount the momentary switch? One day I will be taking the Card out of the loop.
I went to advance auto parts and bought an 81 ford starter solenoid for a 351 motor (14 Bucks). It bolted right up where the old GP solenoid was. (After i tore it out) The wire i got free and where i work. And the Momentary switch i got free from a friend. I havent removed the card yet but right now it serves no purpose. I'm using AC Delco 60G plugs.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Without more detailed information on your installation, this thread is very misleading and potentially damaging to others with stock CUCVs.

I feel that it is important to point out that the standard cucv gp system uses a different and non compatible relay than a "ford" relay.

You completely omitted the most important information , how you wired it. BTW, the way you did it is the most complicated and labor intensive choice.

I am not surprised to see you would/did not share your final plan in detail with the others that asked.

If your not going to be a team player, maybe you should find another bench to sit on. The Diesel Place, K5 Forums, truck stop, pirate 4x4, all come to mind...

Last edited:

Alucard-HD

Without more detailed information on your installation, this thread is very misleading and potentaly damaging to others with stock CUCVs.

I feel that it is improtant to point out that the standard cucv gp system uses a different and non compatable relay than a "ford" relay.

You competely ommited the most important information , how you wired it. BTW, the way you did it is the most compicated and labor intesive choice.

I am not suprised to see you would/did not share your final plan in detail with the others that asked.

If your not going to be a team player, maybe you should find another bench to sit on. The Diesel Place, K5 Forums, truck stop, pirate 4x4, all come to mind...
Ok what part of its raining dont you understand? If it wasnt raining today i would take pics when i got home from work. If its that much of a crime to post pics or explane what i did then i wont and this trend can end. I didnt know i was going to get my wrist slapped for asking a question, and have it work the way i wanted. Oh and by the way, those other sites told me to come here. So either dont read my trends or tell the administrators of this site to have me removed.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
See! more lack of information on your part! How would I know it's raining where you are and that you are working on it outside?

Seriously, I'll lighten up. I don't mean to be a jerk(it just comes naturally). I'm glad you have it functioning. Please don't consider leaving this site. If we ever meet, i'll buy you a beer, for putting up with me!:beer:

Alucard-HD

See! more lack of information on your part! How would I know it's raining where you are and that you are working on it outside?

Seriously, I'll lighten up. I don't mean to be a jerk(it just comes naturally). I'm glad you have it functioning. Please don't consider leaving this site. If we ever meet, i'll buy you a beer, for putting up with me!:beer:
Ok? If you insist lol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks