• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Al's Liner M1009 interior

So I decided against the Herculiner and ran over to 4wheel parts in azusa to pick up the Al's liner kit. After reading some other members posts I opted to drop in at Harbor Freight and pick up their spray gun ($20 vs. Al's at $50). One gal. of Al's liner cost $99.

Prep on the CUCV took a couple of days. I pulled everything out, and started sanding (flapper wheel) and grinding down the rust. Used a rust converter/inhibitor and some Rustoleum primer to prep the metal. I filled in the holes with JB weld. Not trying to make this thing perfict, I just need it good enough to work.

Taped the crap out of it and hit the shiny spots with a cup/brush sander. Used acetone all over to prep for the liner. I blue taped the bolts and returned them to their holes. Pulled the pannel that covers the rear window works and masked the open area.

Laid down Al's primer and waited until tacky. So finally time to spray... Mixed the 4 or 5 components and filled the hopper. (Cumbersome Job to do alone, wish I had 2 more hands.) Sprayed the first half of the interior and finally got used to the trigger control when I ran out of product. So back to Azusa for another liner kit ($99 more).

Got second half sprayed and re shot some of first half with less pressure (35-40 psi) and less trigger pull. Resulted in more of a rough surface. Let sit for 24 + am happy with the results (although $100 over my budget).

Final surface is kind of rubbery. I expected it to be harder like my truck bed with Line-X. But still pleased with how it looks and sounds. I instantly knoticed how much quiter it is in the cab. Don't get me wrong this machine is still loud, but the liner is a noticeable improvement.

Pics Next.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So... two gallons of material? How think is the final coating? Do you think it will continue to harden over the next few weeks?

I like the pebbly finish, hope it works well for you.

Rick

jvrotter

that looks just like my Herculiner. Same pebbly look. Didn't spray mine on, just rolled it. I think whatever kind we use, it will be a vast improvement to painting. Great job!

So... two gallons of material? How think is the final coating? Do you think it will continue to harden over the next few weeks?

I like the pebbly finish, hope it works well for you.

Rick
I am hoping it will get somewhat harder. Still feels like the ruberizer that you would dip tools into to give them new handles. Much softer than LineX.
I can dig a thumbnail into it but it bounces back. No way with LineX or Rhino.

Its about as thick as a Dime overall, but as thick as a Quarter where I went over it again. Seems like you can go very thick if you can afford it.

The gun had about 1/4 inch of material built up in it.

I would definately recommend taking the top off. Bending over and using the gun with a full hopper is an effort.

Also using some vaseline in the gun will aid in cleanup. Comes right out of the hopper, but sticks to the walls of the inside of the gun.

Attachments

michigandon

Is that the "Sound Deadener" stuff or just the regular coating?

They also make (made?) this stuff in 383 green, that's what I want to use in my Travelette project, a coat of the Sound Deadnener with a second coat of the 383 over that.

Don

Its just the regular stuff. They sold crumbs that you can add and get a more textured surface, but this is more textured than I thought it would be even without the crumbs.

I guess you can add any color of automotive color to match what you want. They do stock Black, Grey, and Brown but the shop I went to only had Black.

Some of the automotive tints can get spendy, and I am trying to spend less than half of what I would for LineX. Got a quote by a professional bedliner shop for $600. So at $220 + 2 rattle cans of primer, some blue tape and all my time, I'm not ready to spend more for a color match. But Yes it can be done.

I read somewhere that the heat resistant / sound deadening stuff wasnt worth it. But 4 Parts didn't have it in stock anyway. Plus with the cost of the added product, I would have been way over budget. At that point I would likely have the pros do it. I preped for close to 7 hours and sprayed for 45 minutes. So it depends on what your time is worth. The LineX in my Dodge is 1/4 inch thick and bulletproof. But am happy with the Als Liner so far.

Thanks for the comments all.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks