• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

alt belt

sirleaksalot

lost gen one, and before I could get pulled over it took out gen 2 and both were wrapped around the fan. I know I got lucky that it didn't take anything else with it.
I got them replaced and the fan/power steering will be in wed. I wanted them all new.

2deuce

The problem I ran into was my pulley was worn out from slipping belts. I tried tightening it, but all it would do is squeal after startup no matter how tight it got. I stretched out belts and ruined an alt bearing before I replaced the pulley. That cured it. With the belt on the pulley its hard to tell you have a bad pulley. If your constantly tightening belts it is something to look at.

Screamin' Metal

It might not be a bad pulley, it might be the belt is too narrow for the pulley, If you put a normal belt on a WWII jeep, its rides on the bottom of the belt, not the sides as the pulley and belt was designed.
Just to check, if you get a belt tight. and you can turn your alternator pulley, your pulley has oil on it or it glazed.

Clean the pulley with some carb cleaner, wipe it off, stick a new belt on it the correct width and you will not be able to turn that pulley by hand....[thumbzup]

2deuce

Use the belt that is correct for your application for sure. The belt #'s are posted all over this site. I was amazed at how worn out my pulley was. I'm checking the pulley whenever I have to replace a belt.2cents

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the issue of the #1 alternator belt loosening up constantly, about every 100 miles or so. After replacing the belts and trying different brands, I had a rebuild shop check the pulley and it turned out to be incorrect for that application. Had them change it and have had no problems in last 5000 miles.

Brad M

Had the same thing happen to me Monday. Pulling off from a stoplight heard a noise and the "GEN 1" light was on. I drove carefully home. Found the Drivers side alt belt lying broken on the inner fender. The power steering belt flipped but still in place. Next day I was on a quest to replace al the belts. After hitting Advanced, NAPA, Auto Zone, and finally Pep Boys I had assembled a collection of all three belts. Started on the job and the PS Pump being a PITA. I got them done but I noticed some drag on the Driver’s side alt when the belt was removed. So I ordered a rebuild kit for the alt to head off any bearing issues. But after this I'm going to go look closer at all the pulleys, thanks for the heads up I hadn’t thought they would wear that easily.

sirleaksalot

I forgot to pick up my p/s belt today. I will get it friday, it is looks ok but I want them all changed.
glad no one had any other damage when this happened

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks