• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

alt belt

sirleaksalot

lost gen one, and before I could get pulled over it took out gen 2 and both were wrapped around the fan. I know I got lucky that it didn't take anything else with it.
I got them replaced and the fan/power steering will be in wed. I wanted them all new.

2deuce

The problem I ran into was my pulley was worn out from slipping belts. I tried tightening it, but all it would do is squeal after startup no matter how tight it got. I stretched out belts and ruined an alt bearing before I replaced the pulley. That cured it. With the belt on the pulley its hard to tell you have a bad pulley. If your constantly tightening belts it is something to look at.

Screamin' Metal

It might not be a bad pulley, it might be the belt is too narrow for the pulley, If you put a normal belt on a WWII jeep, its rides on the bottom of the belt, not the sides as the pulley and belt was designed.
Just to check, if you get a belt tight. and you can turn your alternator pulley, your pulley has oil on it or it glazed.

Clean the pulley with some carb cleaner, wipe it off, stick a new belt on it the correct width and you will not be able to turn that pulley by hand....[thumbzup]

2deuce

Use the belt that is correct for your application for sure. The belt #'s are posted all over this site. I was amazed at how worn out my pulley was. I'm checking the pulley whenever I have to replace a belt.2cents

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the issue of the #1 alternator belt loosening up constantly, about every 100 miles or so. After replacing the belts and trying different brands, I had a rebuild shop check the pulley and it turned out to be incorrect for that application. Had them change it and have had no problems in last 5000 miles.

Brad M

Had the same thing happen to me Monday. Pulling off from a stoplight heard a noise and the "GEN 1" light was on. I drove carefully home. Found the Drivers side alt belt lying broken on the inner fender. The power steering belt flipped but still in place. Next day I was on a quest to replace al the belts. After hitting Advanced, NAPA, Auto Zone, and finally Pep Boys I had assembled a collection of all three belts. Started on the job and the PS Pump being a PITA. I got them done but I noticed some drag on the Driver’s side alt when the belt was removed. So I ordered a rebuild kit for the alt to head off any bearing issues. But after this I'm going to go look closer at all the pulleys, thanks for the heads up I hadn’t thought they would wear that easily.

sirleaksalot

I forgot to pick up my p/s belt today. I will get it friday, it is looks ok but I want them all changed.
glad no one had any other damage when this happened