• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator woes

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, I noticed my M934 starting slower and slower... and noticed the gauge was in the red...

Went to go check the alternator and both belts were gone...

Then I noticed the pulley was loose...

Pulled the alternator, and realized the pulley and shaft index points for the key were pretty hosed... I shoved a larger key in there and reassembled.

There is a slight wobble (out of round) from the pulley, so that's issue #1...

Then, I put it back in, and was tightening the electrical connections, and one of the screws sheared off... leaving me no way to connect anything to it.. Tried soldering to the brass terminal.. no luck... even tried drilling it... no luck....

So, I start looking for replacement alternators.... Holy Mother of God! $800?!

I could replace the shaft, pulley, and assembly for about $200

BUT!

I see people replacing alternators with COTS units.... which are significantly less....

This got me thinking... I have a spare alternator for my M1010, which is 100A, 28V, and is same company and same mount style (J-180?), is there a reason it won't work? I will have to get a new pulley for it, but a new pulley beats $800 on an alternator.....

OR.. I could just WELD the pulley onto the old alternator, and replace the broken screw 'area' for ~$50 but I'd be worried about the alternator, as that woodruff key is used for a reason.. (I think?)

ETA M934A0 - NHC250

74M35A2

Delco alternator mod 150 bucks works great.
I'll get Andy to post some pics of his.
That's a Chinese clone of a Delco alternator, to paint a clearer picture. But, their cloning technology is increasing quickly and is nearly a mirror image now. It seems to be working well for people here though. The trucks are not used daily, and the alternator load is very light.

The only thing to watch out for from China clones now is build quality issues. For example, one alternator may have 2 lock washers under the pulley nut, and the next one have none.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1010 alternator looks like it'll work....

Need a bushing to take up the slack (~3 inches too short), and a pulley...

I'm not finding jack %&% on the swap, only people saying 'do it'..

So, I need a part # for a pulley, at a minimum... which I spent 4 hours searching for... and can't find....

The little info I have found is for A2s with an 8 groove pulley and not a double belt pulley...

****, I'd settle for a single belt pulley..... it worked on the CUCV....

Found http://www.prestolite.com/pgs_produ..._id=206&item_series_id=101&refresh=1221324667

Which is the m1010 alternator... So at least I have shaft dimensions.

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those EBay links are buy it now. No different than listing a non-EBay company to buy from.
I asked about that when I first joined... Was still told no..

I believe it's a contractual issue for revenue generation on the site...

Just like they have govliquidation.com ads but don't allow us to post links to GL.