• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AM General and Kaiser owners sought

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
If you have a deuce built by one of the above, whose VIN has the third and fourth digits of 26, 29, 31, 37, 38, 42 or 43 - please contact me and let me know what kind of truck you own. As much additional information as you can give is also appreciated.

The VIN is stamped on the driver's side of the frame near the steering. It is a nine-digit number, typically starting with 0, but occassionally starting with 1.

Thanks for all your help.

Sincerely,
David Doyle

Adamlee

vin numbers kaiser jeep

david, I own a 1970 M35A2 w/ow built by Kaiser Jeep. I don't have the VIN readily available, but will dig it out for this.

BTW, this truck has "flat" front turn signal guards that are unlike most I have seen...most are "curved" guards. Maybe this is a characteristic of 1970 Kaisers?

Adam Lee

Attachments

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Several of you have PM'd me - I am on the road at the moment and can only get a TERRIBLE dial up connection. The third and fourth digits of the VIN on Kaiser-Jeep and AM General vehicles typically indicate the type of truck it is - this has been discussed in part in some other threads - for example 25 is normally a M35A2 wo/winch, 39 is M35A2 w/winch, 40 is dropside wo/winch.

Thus far however 26, 29, 31, 37, 38, 42 or 43 remain a mystery.

The function of all this research, as explained in my other threads, is toward the completion of two books I am working on - and a forthcoming article in Military Vehicles Magazine that will aid fellow collectors in determining the year and model of their trucks. The books will associate such detail changes as exhaust, b/o light guards, seats, canvas, etc with the various years' production.

Thanks to all for your help.

Sincerely,
David Doyle

bottleworks

Well, my vin according to the SF97 and the data plate is: 04L54369-0325-23978 It's a 1968 M35A2 W/W cargo. It currently has an LDT-465 C turbo... I believe the engine got replaced in the late 80's. The exhaust hole in the fender appears to have been opened up with a torch, if that helps any.

Adamlee, my truck also has the flat turn signal guards.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Bottleworks - thanks for posting your info. The actual VIN of you truck is 0325-23978. It registration number is 04L54369. It was possibly built without a winch late in 1969, although it was ordered on 1968 contract DAAE-06-68-C-0007. Thanks for including the info about the light guards - that's exactly the kind of detail we are after.

Adamlee - my eyesight is not the best, so I struggle to read the info on the data plate that you posted. However, and correct me if I did not read this correctly, it appears the VIN is 0325-28273, and the registration number 04B-76270. If that is correct, you truck was ordered on the same contract as bottleworks, was also built without winch, and left the assembly line early in 1970.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

jasonjc

David
dont know if this helps any my truck #3 the driver side fender comes all the way in then bents down 90 deg to the frame the pass side is the kind that slates down to the frame and #4 has these on both sides the pass has some mode for the exeust.
If there are any other details you need check on let me know must of my truck came straght from the military. No civil mods

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jason, those 90° fenders are from the gasser family. Do me a favor the next time you check them. On the passenger side right behind the upper shock mount is where the RR motor mount is attached to the frame. Can you see if it has hot rivets or bolts holding it on?
Thanks

bottleworks

DDoyle said:
Bottleworks - thanks for posting your info. The actual VIN of you truck is 0325-23978. It registration number is 04L54369. It was built without a winch late in 1969, although it was ordered on 1968 contract DAAE-06-68-C-0007.
So, do you think the winch was added when it was still at the factory or added long after release from the factory? The Data plate says W/W, but it has the complete "04L54369-0325-23978" on the plate. I thought that they only stamped the "0325-23978" part on the plate? ...Or is it typical for the long number to get stamped?

jasonjc

Bottleworks my guest is that after the factroy they added a whinch and then changed the tag and stamed the long number. On my trucks some have a place for the reg and some don't.

Recovry both trucks with 90 frender have rivets one is a 68 and the other is a 67-68 they shuold have had muiltfuel to start with???? left over parts or maybe they got changed at some time??

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
bottleworks, the resolution is too low on the posted plate photo, and my eyes too bad to see excatly what it looks like - if you wanna email me a bigger one that will help. The winch - no winch thing is a puzzlement. I too own a truck with a "25" prefix - bought direct from DRMO - that is winch-equipped. Yours, mine and two others are all I have found with this situation. There are too many things we don't know without access to the K-J records. Did someone screw up and stamp the frames wrong? Was there a change order issued while the trucks were on the line (unlikely), have we not correctly ID'd the nuances of their number system - very likely. That is why we've been posting all these questions. I'll correct my earlier posting to say what I intended....

As far as the length of the number on the data plate - that varied by contract.

Best wishes,
David

Otter

David,
1968 M109A3 WO/W PN# 2320-933-7525
VIN 376001-68-0332-10430
Nomenclature "TRUCK VAN 2 1/2 TON 6X6 M109A3 WO/W
MFG Kaiser/Jeep
This truck originally came from the Marine Corps, and was used as a field command post. The truck was not winch equipped, but came with a winch PTO installed, and the control lever installed. Turn signal guards are square also. The shop van body is the 7 window version, 3 on each side, one in the front and none in the rear doors. The truck also came with the fording kit installed, but did not have the intake tubes in place. The PTO and fording kits were factory installed. I removed some paint chips from the PTO/trans interface and examined the chip with a magnifying glass to determine layers. The chip was intact across the interface and only had one coat. Same for the fording kit pieces.
eric

jasonjc

My shop van M109A3 has the remains of the froding kit aswell. I wouldn't think that you would what to take a loaded shop van thought deep water and flood all the tools/equipment in the back???

bottleworks

bottleworks said:
Adamlee, my truck also has the flat turn signal guards.
I have to correct myself. The pass side has the flat style. The driver's side is the round type. I didn't notice the driver's side until yesterday. :cookoo:

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Here is my Vin,(VIN: 04J70871053912427) it is a 1970 AMG non whisler with winch and air shift/fording kit. I have had great service from it driving it home from mid state Virginia to north of Baltimore it got over 12 MPG and it has done lots of work for me and friends as well as demolish a large number of unsuspecting parking lot snow piles. I hope you keep us updated on the books and magazine articles.

God bless,
Very Respectfully,
David

MrAugust

i dont know vin off hand my reo is a 69 kaiser refitted in mid 70s with winch... had data plate checked n tell ov engine refit n engine refit.. an mine dont whistle.... it has square indecator gaurds....