• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AM General M934 How difficult is it to find repairs & how much will they set me back?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haha them 2003s with he retro vibe to baffle the enemy. Im just now curious if the A2 is the "better/improved" model of the M934s
Matter of opinion, Coke vs Pepsi type thing. A2 has the big tires, CTIS and 8.3 engine. My opinion is yes better, love the CTIS and 8.3, however the 934 may be better suited with the dual wheels with that tall heavy box.

someoldmoose

My $.02 ? If you are gonna be driving it for business trips I hope you have family in an oil producing country that can send ya a sea-going tanker every once in a while. J K . . . . However, 3-4 m.p.g. is normal for these beasts. As others said above, many things on these vehicles are the simplest application possible to make in-field repairs as possible as possible. That is EXACTLY why I am buying mine. If worse comes to worser yet, I can probably fix most problems with a properly sized rock and a strong stick. Again J K . . . Seriously though, even the "new" ones are actually OLD ones. Certainly agree that you should go with lower miles and hours if you have a choice, but always remember. Anything can break, any time of day or night , anywhere. If yer prepared, yer spared. So be prepared. Beyond that, it's just another vehicle and as a surly old mechanic once told me, "They're ALL junk, some just COST more !" Turns out he was right.

Last edited:

Alice

Matter of opinion, Coke vs Pepsi type thing. A2 has the big tires, CTIS and 8.3 engine. My opinion is yes better, love the CTIS and 8.3, however the 934 may be better suited with the dual wheels with that tall heavy box.
Pepsi for me plz. I guess not much significant differences? (Or rather not anything i should be narrowing my search for then)
The A2's have the Cummins 6CTA8.3 504 cu in (8.3 L) instead of NHC 250.
So when it says its got a "Cummins, 6 cylinder, 855 diesel engine" would that be something to indicate which one it is?
That all depends on your definition of of "better and improved" lol
Better as they have improved some known common failure of the previous model and this is their attempt to fix it. Rather than just a variation in the line of trucks. You guys are much better with the subtle differences and how they impact the performance of the truck so ill trust your definition of better and improved :D
K.I.S.S.
Turbo = something to break
Single tires = no redundancy
CTIS = more opportunity for leaks
etc
I like big tires xD Simple girl.
My $.02 ? If you are gonna be driving it for business trips I hope you have family in an oil producing country that can send ya a sea-going tanker every once in a while. J K . . . . However, 3-4 m.p.g. is normal for these beasts. As others said above, many things on these vehicles are the simplest application possible to make in-field repairs as possible as possible. That is EXACTLY why I am buying mine. If worse comes to worser yet, I can probably fix most problems with a properly sized rock and a strong stick. Again J K . . . Seriously though, even the "new" ones are actually OLD ones. Certainly agree that you should go with lower miles and hours if you have a choice, but always remember. Anything can break, any time of day or night , anywhere. If yer prepared, yer spared. So be prepared. Beyond that, it's just another vehicle and as a surly old mechanic once told me, "They're ALL junk, some just COST more !" Turns out he was right.
Thanks for the input :) Yeeeeeeh looks like ill be seeing the gas station attendees more than my family (i 'aint complainin' hhehe) but no its not going to be on the road every day. More likely itll sit still for a month then make 1k m trip, then sit there for a month them move again. My life in no rush to anywhere urgent.

Alice

Im a bit wary of this auction. Its been up a few times and with the same bidders on it. Last one in particular had a few competitive bidders (like this one) and didnt sell. Now im curious as to why he didnt make the offer to the second winning bidder if the first one backed out for whatever reason. It seems the same names are back for this auction too, which is where im rather suspicious that they are up bidding their own listing...

Paranoia or some merit to my suspicion?

someoldmoose

Alice, on the engine portion of yer dilemma. The "older" units will have an nhc250, inline 6, non-turbo, engine that is 855 cubic inches ( 14 liters ). Next step, same engine, with a turbo. Next step is the 6ct series. Only 8.3 liters but same or better power due to electronics and modern design. All are rock solid. ( Commercial Cummins diesels are world renowned for their durability, sorry, I am not a salesman, and no Holiday Inn Express, but they are nearly bulletproof if cared for properly). Watch miles and hours on the clocks. These were low frequency, hard use machines. Maintained, but used for some very tough work. Whatever ya choose I hope ya love it and it gives ya love in return. I truly believe that. They know, deep down in their chassis, they know.

That auction stuff sounds fishy to me too. I am super lucky. Found my dream girl only 60 miles away from a "dealer" kinda place. Prolly nothing like that "up there". What part of the Great White North are ya in ? Be specific, in your location on your profile too. "They" are watching. Hehehehehe

Last edited:

Mos68x

I like big tires xD Simple girl.
Thanks for the input :) Yeeeeeeh looks like ill be seeing the gas station attendees more than my family (i 'aint complainin' hhehe) but no its not going to be on the road every day. More likely itll sit still for a month then make 1k m trip, then sit there for a month them move again. My life in no rush to anywhere urgent.
Beyond the engine, wheels, and CTIS there are only minor differences between the A2 and the A0/A1, nothing of significance really.

Big tires lol my kinda gal!

Yes, the 6CTA8.3 is 504CID, while the NHC250 (rarely the NTC250) is the monster 855CID. The NHC was primarily naturally aspirated unless someone taken the time to put a turbo on it. The NTC250 is just the same engine with the turbo on it.

Usually any improvements outside of the A0/A1/A2 were addressed with MWOs (Modification Work Orders), and one of them that you need to make sure you get is the one for the ABS. While the trucks can be driven without it they are much safer with that system installed.

All the local gas stations know me real good, but then again this is a TINY town lol we don't even have a stop sign lol I do drive my truck almost everywhere, unless I take the Harley out, so she drinks a lot of fuel. One of these days I'll get around to turning up the fuel in mine...after I get an EGT and boost gauge though.

Mos68x

Im a bit wary of this auction. Its been up a few times and with the same bidders on it. Last one in particular had a few competitive bidders (like this one) and didnt sell. Now im curious as to why he didnt make the offer to the second winning bidder if the first one backed out for whatever reason. It seems the same names are back for this auction too, which is where im rather suspicious that they are up bidding their own listing...

I would say that is fair grounds to be suspicious, I know I would be.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...So when it says its got a "Cummins, 6 cylinder, 855 diesel engine" would that be something to indicate which one it is?...

....I like big tires xD Simple girl.
Both engines are Cummins 6 cylinders, but the 855 is the big old normally aspirated engine in the A0 and A1.

If big tires are your thing they came stock on the A1 and A2, but the A0 can easily be swapped over.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Maybe check the member map and see if someone local that knows 5 tons can check it out (or buy it out from under you;) I think there are quite a few members down there.

someoldmoose

A brief addendum to 68xray's one thought, if I may. If you find an nhc250 WITH a turbo stuck on it, be very cautious. The internals do NOT like forced induction. Will tolerate a little, just not made for it. Sounds like yer eyeballin' a newer model anyway, so shouldn't be an issue. Just intell.

Mos68x

A brief addendum to 68xray's one thought, if I may. If you find an nhc250 WITH a turbo stuck on it, be very cautious. The internals do NOT like forced induction. Will tolerate a little, just not made for it. Sounds like yer eyeballin' a newer model anyway, so shouldn't be an issue. Just intell.
I haven't found said truck so I'm not sure what it is or for that matter what the seller claims it is.

Nomadic

Red flag is up after Alices information about it being reposted with the same bidders. It was suspect already in that it was listed as a 2003, but not as an A2. The owner should know this. It looks clean and I'd take it for $7k if it had 100% ride and drive.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The one under discussion is a 1984 M934A0 (sic). It went through refresh in Europe in 2003. Once in private hands it acquired another paint job.

The bidding looks like shill bidding to me. (I've noticed it listed multiple times too).

It may very well be a decent truck. No data...

Alice

Alice, on the engine portion of yer dilemma. The "older" units will have an nhc250, inline 6, non-turbo, engine that is 855 cubic inches ( 14 liters ). Next step, same engine, with a turbo. Next step is the 6ct series. Only 8.3 liters but same or better power due to electronics and modern design. All are rock solid. ( Commercial Cummins diesels are world renowned for their durability, sorry, I am not a salesman, and no Holiday Inn Express, but they are nearly bulletproof if cared for properly). Watch miles and hours on the clocks. These were low frequency, hard use machines. Maintained, but used for some very tough work. Whatever ya choose I hope ya love it and it gives ya love in return. I truly believe that. They know, deep down in their chassis, they know.
Ahh exactly why i love these types of machines. Built to work as a reliable beast, not just sit there and look pretty. :3 I hope mine knows im looking for it! TORONTO! IM IN TORONTO, fine me you glorious bastard! haha (Though i will travel to the end of the country for one, lets keep that between us)
That auction stuff sounds fishy to me too. I am super lucky. Found my dream girl only 60 miles away from a "dealer" kinda place. Prolly nothing like that "up there". What part of the Great White North are ya in ? Be specific, in your location on your profile too. "They" are watching. Hehehehehe
Is that the lucky lady in the picture?

Beyond the engine, wheels, and CTIS there are only minor differences between the A2 and the A0/A1, nothing of significance really.
Big tires lol my kinda gal!
Yes, the 6CTA8.3 is 504CID, while the NHC250 (rarely the NTC250) is the monster 855CID. The NHC was primarily naturally aspirated unless someone taken the time to put a turbo on it. The NTC250 is just the same engine with the turbo on it.
Usually any improvements outside of the A0/A1/A2 were addressed with MWOs (Modification Work Orders), and one of them that you need to make sure you get is the one for the ABS. While the trucks can be driven without it they are much safer with that system installed.
All the local gas stations know me real good, but then again this is a TINY town lol we don't even have a stop sign lol I do drive my truck almost everywhere, unless I take the Harley out, so she drinks a lot of fuel. One of these days I'll get around to turning up the fuel in mine...after I get an EGT and boost gauge though.
Both engines are Cummins 6 cylinders, but the 855 is the big old normally aspirated engine in the A0 and A1.
If big tires are your thing they came stock on the A1 and A2, but the A0 can easily be swapped over.

Thanks guys ill be re-reading and re-reading all these point every time i find a listing. I think i do have my heart set on an A2 model. i dont know if thats just because thats because its the first love type of thing or because i actually prefer the sepcs but the heart wants what the heart wants. ;)

someoldmoose

Caveat Emptor, ALWAYS !

Never been tuh Tronna, eh. Montreal and Ontario , nes pa, before the Border Dickheads made it a pain in the wallet. Rather spend my money on beer and . . .other things.

Yes, that's her AND just like any worthwhile partner, still waiting for her to get ready. Nothing good comes.easy. At least she won't cheat on me with another truck and then take all my stuff.

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ahh exactly why i love these types of machines. Built to work as a reliable beast, not just sit there and look pretty. :3 I hope mine knows im looking for it! TORONTO! IM IN TORONTO, fine me you glorious bastard! haha (Though i will travel to the end of the country for one, lets keep that between us)

Is that the lucky lady in the picture?

Thanks guys ill be re-reading and re-reading all these point every time i find a listing. I think i do have my heart set on an A2 model. i dont know if thats just because thats because its the first love type of thing or because i actually prefer the sepcs but the heart wants what the heart wants. ;)
My preference in the 939series trucks is the A0/A1.

However, for your use - long highway drives - the A2 is better suited. The advantages are fuel efficiency and holding speed on uphill grades.

Alice

Maybe check the member map and see if someone local that knows 5 tons can check it out (or buy it out from under you;) I think there are quite a few members down there.
DONT STEAL MY TRUCK I WILL FIGHT YOU! :D

Red flag is up after Alices information about it being reposted with the same bidders. It was suspect already in that it was listed as a 2003, but not as an A2. The owner should know this. It looks clean and I'd take it for $7k if it had 100% ride and drive.
The price jumped to 10k now.
The one under discussion is a 1984 M934A0 (sic). It went through refresh in Europe in 2003. Once in private hands it acquired another paint job.
The bidding looks like shill bidding to me. (I've noticed it listed multiple times too).
It may very well be a decent truck. No data...
What ive found on it was that it was bought, by these guys anyway, to be converted into a food truck for their buisness (i guess i shouldnt mention the name but its right on the photo of the truck to be faiiiiiir), in 2016. I stalked them on social media and located photos of the truck. They also own another MV (which to me looked like the m1087 kind that preceded the m934s) along with their food truck.
But for some reason they've decided against it. Im going to assume that its because if its going to be a mobile every day food tuck that maybe they thought the gas prices were a bit much. So im not sure whats going on, and why the listings keep running into dead ends. I like to think that everyone is out there with good intentions but shill auction or not it seems like this is not my guy. Perhaps something about this truck does not want to be owned :D

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks