• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AM General M934 How difficult is it to find repairs & how much will they set me back?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Prices are definitely going up.
Sold my M923A2 and M998A1 last week to a guy who started up a conversation when I was getting fuel.
Two days later he owned them.
Wasn't really wanting to sell and definitely wasn't trying, but he made a REALLY great cash offer.
Didnt drive them much anyway. M925A2 was/is my primary driver. (It was my first MV). That one will never be sold.

I prefer my MVs straight from the Military. That's just me.
I know the 5 tons on GP have almost dried up, but there are a lot still sitting on bases.
A lot are junk but Ive seen some nice ones. They will be auctioned eventually.

Trust your gut. I would stay away from that auction. Too many red flags.

Its not so much as you finding the right truck. It's more like the right truck finds you. Sounds silly but that's how it works, for me anyway.

Good luck with your quest

someoldmoose

68 xray, Yeah, I miss riding sumthin awful. Hadda sell my big vibrator when I separated in '14. Didn't want it falling into enemy hands, ifya git muh drift. Wind in the hair (although high and tight) is one of the reasons I chose the truck I did. Soft top off, windshield folded, doors off (gonna make brackets in the box to hang 'em). Might even wear my helmet. It has Bluetooth speakers built in. If no lid, then active NC headset with Bluetooth. Love the Hummin' Cummins but I have lost enough of my hearing.

I heard that Alice ! hehehehe Depends on what I have et in the last day or two. She is cute as bug in rug ain't Xray. Too bad I have SHOES older than she is. :roll: :cry: :shrugs:

Tinstar, Any good vibes on yer trailer? That thing is just waaaaaaaay too much equipment for my needs. Although a drag along is still is the Phase 2 plans. Thinking another M32 van body on an M1061 A1 flatbed. Wanna put my WVO processing equipment in it and maybe a bar :beer:with strobes and a disco ball, or a Fifty Shades play room. :shock: :whistle:

Last edited:

someoldmoose

Its not so much as you finding the right truck. It's more like the right truck finds you. Sounds silly but that's how it works, for me anyway.
Alice and I were chatting about just that Tinstar. The wand chooses the wizard. That how I feel it worked for me. Had no more intention of buying an MV than flying to the moon in a Stearman, but I heard it. Calling quietly. Enticing me. So like every other time a seductress has come into my life, I fell, HARD.

Let the games begin.

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rancher's Supply (perhaps some of our CO members can chime in here) seems to me to be a business that wants a quick flip of a truck for a healthy profit. I stopped in there some time ago, and after quick glances at their MVs most were in need of some good maintenance....while some had at least fluid/filter changes, I saw a lot of cracked/dry-rotted tires & fuel lines and tons of little maintenance issues that add up over time. Just my observations; it shouldn't take long for someone to come along and tell me how wrong I am.

someoldmoose

silverstate, I'll take eyewitness intell over hearsay every day of the week and twice on Sunday. If you saw it and attest to it, I think that's good enough for me. I sure won't be getting to Colorado any time soon unless somebody pays for my round trip tickee.

tubamlb

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, If you have one of the Military truck repair shops do any work on your vehicle make sure you get a written estimate first then still check on what is done
I have had some very bad over charges from these people
You may PM if you want details of who to watch out for

MLB

red

Good luck with your quest
That is very true. Parted out my old m35a2 and was looking for either a m820 or m934 when the m816 wrecker kinda fell into my lap. Would take a large chunk of change for me to consider selling it now with everything I've done to it haha.

Alice

Sold my M923A2 and M998A1 last week to a guy who started up a conversation when I was getting fuel.

I prefer my MVs straight from the Military. That's just me.
Trust your gut. I would stay away from that auction. Too many red flags.
Tinstar where were youuuuuuu! :D Now that lucky guy had two trucks and i have no truck haha. Im jealous. Thank you though ill keep my hopes up and continue to search for sure. I was hoping to buy it from a surplus or some government auction/military because they tend to not take "sentimental price" into account when selling theirs as my budget is tight :/ But im open to anything. I do trust that the truck frineds you, its been liek this with all my machines but i wish it would hurry up!

She is cute as bug in rug ain't Xray. Too bad I have SHOES older than she is. :roll: :cry: :shrugs:
Careful not Moose or youll ruin my streetcred of being a rough old sob.
Rancher's Supply (perhaps some of our CO members can chime in here) seems to me to be a business that wants a quick flip of a truck for a healthy profit. I stopped in there some time ago, and after quick glances at their MVs most were in need of some good maintenance....while some had at least fluid/filter changes, I saw a lot of cracked/dry-rotted tires & fuel lines and tons of little maintenance issues that add up over time. Just my observations; it shouldn't take long for someone to come along and tell me how wrong I am.
Thanks. They seem like they have LOTS of trucks and missc. and just want to sell, so im not surprised that the trucks dont get some TLC before being sold off. I mean the have LOOOOTs. In either case their stock isnt going anywhere fast so i can afford to wait and see if something come up to find me in the upcoming month or so.
MLB
Thank you, that would be really helpful since im no stranger to shops trying to pull the old flux-capacitor replacement charge on me.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, If you have one of the Military truck repair shops do any work on your vehicle make sure you get a written estimate first then still check on what is done
I have had some very bad over charges from these people

MLB
Agreed.

Got charged 5 grand to replace a head and an IP on a CUCV.....come to find out they stuck 'the new guy' on it with no experience and just racked up the hours.....now i question if they even used the right head...

Alice

Agreed.
Got charged 5 grand to replace a head and an IP on a CUCV.....come to find out they stuck 'the new guy' on it with no experience and just racked up the hours.....now i question if they even used the right head...
Well they certainly didnt use theirs head. Thats rotten. Sorry

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgHey Alice, my truck found me 1984 M923. I was kinda looking for one and even bid on a few on the Gov sites. While looking in the local CL found someone who was selling parts. Called and asked about the whole truck. Truck was in good condition but was missing the engine and trans. They were out of it with a blown head gasket. After some discussions we made a deal to remove the engine and trans out of the sellers M936 wrecker and help with the install of his rebuilt Cummins 400 into the M936. So several long weekends later I had a running driving truck. Paint and lots of other items later she is in pretty good shape. Still needs a little attention but runs and drives great. So take your time and she will find you! Some before and after shots.

Attachments

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TinStar, got a link for the trailer? Probably won't suit my needs but I'll take a gander at it at least.
I have it sitting out by Route 66 for sale now. No bites
Had it listed on eBay but not currently.

So no links
PM for info

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks