• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AM General parts website

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the consensus seems that the AM General site is great for items you want to have on hand, but not so much for ones you need in a hurry.

Ajax MD

I ordered a large number of items in early November, mostly small, and all showing in stock. They came over a six week period in five separate shipments. If the shipping seemed a bit high (it did), they spent that or more shipping all those packages. Also, they asked for renewal of the credit card authorization after the last package arrived; they shipped everything before charging the card. Seems like a holdover from commercial practice where terms are "net 30" or whatever and PO processing is automated. If this is their standard practice, they are probably having trouble getting everyone to reauthorize the transactions. So they have some sorting out to do, but I'll definitely be getting another order in with the free shipping.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
Yes, this billing method happened to me as well and took me by surprise. I had a nice email chat with the fellow at AMGen. I told him that they were very trusting to mail out partial shipments without taking payment for anything until the complete shipment goes out. I figure it's only a matter of time before some customer stiffs them.

They should figure out a way to partial-bill customers if they're shipping partial orders.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool,,, TOO bad they did not ship all of my parts I bought last week, ALL showed to be in stock NO notice or indication on my account the entire order was not shipped until only ONE piece arrived, I mean this is the 21st century and they must be keeping inventory on an Abacus, no freaking excuse in continually disappointing.
Moral of the story do not expect to get what you order any time soon, EVEN if it shows to be in stock...
They contacted me and said the rest of my items were on back order and it would be several weeks before they would ship so I asked them to cancel the rest of the order, again all showed to be in stock

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone have any insights on the glow plugs AMG sells, listed as #12338771/GM#08990733, are they good? Price is right at $5.75.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Anyone have any insights on the glow plugs AMG sells, listed as #12338771/GM#08990733, are they good? Price is right at $5.75.

Seems like the deal of all deals. Is that in lots of 1000.

Santa can't make them at that price, CAMO

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Maybe they have a bazillion of them laying around, not TOO far out of line, It could be the "surplus" sellers are just gouging everyone, 12V units can be found under $10
Their prices (values) seem to swing in both directions, IE $35 for windshield glass but $60 for the windshield gasket.
There is an $80 difference in the left and right front half shafts (both 12K) so go figure

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Their prices seem quite volatile, and not always less than the gougers on eBay and "made of gold" surplus outlets but often lower. It's worth checking their site when sourcing parts, and, as others have said, being very patient on shipping times.
BDGR

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Their prices seem quite volatile, and not always less than the gougers on eBay and "made of gold" surplus outlets but often lower. It's worth checking their site when sourcing parts, and, as others have said, being very patient on shipping times.
BDGR
Googling the NSN numbers (and also the manufactures number) is always a good idea, it will usually bring up the usual suspects, there are however some "wholesale" sites that list some of the NSN numbers for very good prices, I am test purchasing from a couple of them, if you use your PP account and it turns out to be fake it is a rather easy path to refunding your money, only one has to keep track and stay on top of what they purchase, and of course it could turn out to be a waste of time.

Aksara Cipta turned out to be a fake site, but I received a full refund and it was worth the time to find out.

Last edited:

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had three website windows open, each with a different vendor including AMG. I added parts to each vendor because prices or availability were all over the place. But several items on AMG were priced quite reasonably compared to the others. I have been happy with their items so far. Shipping was pretty quick, but i did experience that "ship first, pay later" deal due to an item being backordered. But it all arrived.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This makes me laugh. Sad that even the folks who make HMMWVs don't know that there is no such thing as an "A0". If anyone thinks I'm wrong, show me an "A0" in any TM and I'll go away.
You have to denote A0 and A1, there are parts on early “A0” trucks that were improved upon on the A1, it’s really to differentiate that difference, for example, take halfshafts on an A0, they are 7700gvw shafts, A1 is a 10k shaft.
it’s actually beneficial to have the A0/A1 designation, it’s also a term I’ve used as a hmmwv mechanic for about 20yrs, if for any reason....to differentiate the 2 vehicles on a particular part.
Is it in a TM? NO...a soldier would refer to the UOC in the TM and an A0 would be an M998
99% of folks have no idea what a UOC is....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still, "A0" is a made up term. Before this imaginary term came to be there were just M35, M35A1 etc. I know that A1, A2 ect mean updates. Folks should know that too rather than making stuff up.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3 windshield glass, an oil pressure gauge, and radiator cap.

With the free shipping deal it came to about $140. I can't even get the glass locally for one piece for that (last quote I got was over $200 for one side)

I did notice in my cart it's telling me that they don't have enough of some items in stock so it says they will ship what they have now and ship the rest later.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still, "A0" is a made up term. Before this imaginary term came to be there were just M35, M35A1 etc. I know that A1, A2 ect mean updates. Folks should know that too rather than making stuff up.
go back and read my previous reply....there are many “made up“ terms in the civilian world, like calling a slantback a “turtle back” and the term “Hummer”, 28yrs in the military and never do I remember anyone calling a hmmwv a “Hummer”

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree, but "A0"showed up on the AM General website which was my point to begin with. Wouldn't you think that since they make the darned things, they would know? I've had dozens of MVs and not a single one was marked "A0" on the data plate. I'm convinced that "A0" only tends to confuse folks when looking things up.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Googling the NSN numbers (and also the manufactures number) is always a good idea, it will usually bring up the usual suspects, there are however some "wholesale" sites that list some of the NSN numbers for very good prices, I am test purchasing from a couple of them, if you use your PP account and it turns out to be fake it is a rather easy path to refunding your money, only one has to keep track and stay on top of what they purchase, and of course it could turn out to be a waste of time.

Aksara Cipta turned out to be a fake site, but I received a full refund and it was worth the time to find out.
PayPal left me high and dry with a purchase from a suspect site earlier this year. Was only $30 thankfully. In this case I got a USPS tracking number ishortly after placing the order, and tracking that number showed it was deliverd the day BEFORE I placed the order. PP did not care one whit.
BDGR

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When searching part/NSN numbers I am seeing "too good to be true" prices on what appear to be fake websites. I have seen several that all have the same appearance, no physical address listed, and Gmail as the contact email. Looks like they are snagging the pictures and descriptions from legit sellers. Airlift bumper brackets are a good example...

I'm going to get some of the glowplugs, will report back... thanks!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why did Henry Ford make the model T before the model A, and then the model B?

I’m still searching for the very elusive Ford Model TA0.

Reactions: cwc

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When searching part/NSN numbers I am seeing "too good to be true" prices on what appear to be fake websites. I have seen several that all have the same appearance, no physical address listed, and Gmail as the contact email. Looks like they are snagging the pictures and descriptions from legit sellers. Airlift bumper brackets are a good example...

I'm going to get some of the glowplugs, will report back... thanks!

I got hacked off one of those pages recently. I found the former pillar for the soft top on my hmmwv. Found it on this website for super cheap with free shipping. Never got it and then a couple weeks later my card was charged several times from all over the country.

papakb

Recently I've found several bogus websites that are offering HMMWV parts at very good prices and they're all scams. The latest one was called PDAKTA. They offer new MT tires at $99 with free shipping over $40. My suggestion for anyone tempted to buy from them is to look at their contact information first. There's no way you can contact them after they've scammed you! There's no information as to where they are, what their phone number is or anything useful as to how to get in touch with them. BUYER BEWARE!!

Reactions: cwc
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks