• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Am I on the right track with this engine build?

us74k5

Okie Dokie, so I am in Afghanistan right now. Over the course of this deployment I have been buying parts to build the 6.2 in my 86 M1009 (military blazer). As of right now, i have brand new glow plugs (the correct military ones), brand new GM-8 turbo, brand new 6.5 intake (complete), Brand new 6.5 marine injector tips to put on my 6.2 injectors, and a complete SM465 with hydro bell-housing. Right now I am planning on towing the truck to the exhaust shop after everything is on, and having them do the crossover, and complete 4" exhaust, probably going to use a duramax muffler, because I would like it to be fairly quiet. The only thing that I am kinda stumped on is whether or not I should go ahead and buy the DB2 IP, and 6.5 lines. Will using that pump, versus the one that is on my J code (i heard the military ones come turned up a little) make any real difference? Also, if I do go with that pump, will I loose the ability to run WMO in my truck? I know the military pumps supposedly have hardened parts in them so you can run all kinds of fuel in them, or something along those lines.... Anyways, I get home at the end of the month, and I just want to make sure I do this right the first time. let me know if there are any hangups you can foresee, and if there is anything you might suggest, thanks. Oh, in case anyone is worried about the axles not holding up to the torque of the engine after the build, i have rebuilt 3/4 ton axles at the house, with discs front and rear that I will be swapping in as well.

dstang97

Sounds good. I would not buy a new pump if you already have one. I'm not sure if the tips will work in the 6.2 injector.

us74k5

Well I know the tips fit the injectors. I was mainly asking about the pump because if the DB2 will give me significantly more power, I think I should grab one while im doing all of this anyways.

dstang97

hey if you got the money... I could use some more fuel with my Banks kit. I have 6.5 injectors and maxed out j code pump. make sure you get a pyro so you can monitor egts.

ABN173

Also, if I do go with that pump, will I loose the ability to run WMO in my truck?
I could be corrected as I am still learning myself, but I am reasonably sure the 6.2L CUCV never had that ability in the first place. Most of what you read/hear about WMO is related to the Duece with a White Multi-Fuel engine. I think you would need a "few" modifications to run anything other than Diesel.

On another note, keep your head down and watch your six over there, we want all our soldiers to return safe.

CW2 Dale Campbell

Last edited:

us74k5

Actually if you look on this site, you will see the M1009 is a multi fuel truck. Quite a bit of folks run WMO and WVO in them. From what I have read, they have hardened parts in the IP. Anywho, I see you are at lewis, thats where I am out of. Look for my CUCV when I get home at the end of the month:)

ABN173

Actually if you look on this site, you will see the M1009 is a multi fuel truck. Quite a bit of folks run WMO and WVO in them. From what I have read, they have hardened parts in the IP. Anywho, I see you are at lewis, thats where I am out of. Look for my CUCV when I get home at the end of the month:)
Cool, I'm on staff duty today and not much going on, so I'll see what I can dig up on the topic of CUCV's running WMO. I'm at 1st SFG(A) what MOS/ unit are you with?

Last edited:

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you I used to run Strikers out Lewis to yack.& back. sent to be with 172nd striker recovery Hets in LSA Diamond back H2 & Mareze H4 darn Toyoda & bagdad circle. Oif 2 /04-06

Last edited:

us74k5

Hmm, I will have to check those out later, the pages are taking forever to load right now.... Can't wait for good ole American internet..

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me no about the WMO I never heard that in any TM Or ETM.
I know if you try to Use WMO in the M915A3 in Detroit Diesel The EC2 Injectors will blow out Tips & Trash the Engine. or mess up the lower copper seal & what an Payne that is to fix.

ABN173

(Quoted from STUMPS)

"The multifuel engine is a very interesting contraption. It was originally designed by the famous diesel engine company MAN as the MAN Hypercycle Engine, also known as the Whisper Diesel. MAN engineers were attempting to design a compression-ignition (C-I) engine that burned the fuel slowly, and didn't need massive engine parts to withstand the instantaneous ignition found in a conventional C-I engine.

In a conventional C-I engine, the fuel is atomized into a combustion chamber filled with superheated air, and ignites instantly. This results in the very loud "knocking" sound that is characteristic of most C-I diesel engines. Because the entire fuel charge ignites instantly, there are tremendous forces placed on the pistons, rods, bearings, heads, etc.. The usual engineering answer to the need to withstand such forces is to add lots of mass to the parts. That is why conventional diesels run so slowly, and are so big and heavy.

In the MAN cycle engine, the engineers took a different approach. They formed a chamber in the top of the piston that looks much like someone stuck their thumb into a clay piston. When the piston reaches top-dead-center (TDC), the piston's chamber, and the cylinder head, form a closed combustion chamber, with the injector nozzle poking into the top from one side.

The injector nozzle on a MAN Hypercycle engine is different from that used in the usual C-I engine. The nozzle has relatively large holes in it that pass the fuel as a stream, rather than a mist. This stream of fuel doesn't ignite instantly, but rather passes through the super heated air, and sprays onto the walls and bottom of the piston's combustion chamber. The fuel puddled in the bottom of the combustion chamber boils and vaporizes. When the vapors reach the super heated air, they ignite and burn in a relatively slow controlled fashion. The piston's small combustion chamber also keeps liquid fuel away from the cylinder walls, and out of the crankcase.

The LDx-465 engines all have a Fuel Density Compensator (FDC), but that is not what makes a Multi-Fuel engine multi fuel. Hydrocarbon fuels contain differing amounts of energy depending on their chemical characteristics. As a general rule, thinner fuels, such as gasoline, have fewer calories per pound than do thicker fuels such as diesel oil, and waste motor oil. The FDC increases the amount of fuel pumped into the cylinders for thin fuels, and reduces the amount of fuel pumped into the cylinders for thick fuels. It does this by moving the pedal stop, and thus reducing, or increasing how far you can push the pedal based on the thickness of the fuel. A MF engine without the FDC is still multi-fuel, only it will produce less horsepower on gasoline than it will on diesel fuel... much less.... or in terms of smoke, if it is set to smoke on gasoline, it will smoke chunks on diesel, and if it is set to smoke on diesel, it won't be able to get out of its own way when burning gasoline...

-Chuck"

ABN173

Here's another thread:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/alternative-fuels/47113-multi-fuel-1008-1009-a.html

I have a M1008 and also had a M1009, not to mention I drove these as a private back in Desrt Shield/Storm with the 24th INF DIV (M) Do not get crazy ideas from the heat over there in OEF these are not multi-fuel engines.

Here is another quote from that thread:

"Uhmmm? Unless something drastically has changed, the M1008, and M1009 are not multifuel engines. The only thing they are supposed to burn is diesel.

You can, however get by with blends of diesel and WMO, or WMO and gasoline... and real biodiesel.

The trick is whatever you attempt to burn had better have about the same viscosity, lubrication, and Cetane characteristics as plain old diesel.

-Chuck"

Now that we cleared that up, I have a 6.5L detunned HMMWV engine in a can that I'm not using so let me know if you need it or parts from it when you get back. Also we have a Rally in July if you want to attend that would be great!

When: 17-18 July 2010 (you have tons of time to make plans!)

Where: Starting and ending at AaronW's in Napavine, WA. (Details to follow)

Who: Open to all MV operators and enthusiasts. We prefer that you have an MV to drive or ride in, but realize that everyone may not have full blown OD Fever. Feel free to fall in behind the convoy in a civvy ride or chase vehicle if you can handle the exhaust. Just ask last year's chase vehicle operators about it. Some had to stop to catch a breath!

Why: We have alot of SS menbers and M715Zoners and other club members in WA/OR/ID/MT/CA/Canada that need to get together and meet. And.......FUN!!

Organizers: AaronW(Aaron) and wsucougarx(Mike) Feel free to PM either

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/upcomi...chehalis-river-valley-mv-convoy-camp-out.html

I hope to see you there we need more CUCV's!

-Dale

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks