• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

An American Deuce in Canada

Another Ahab

I've had one run-in with a black bear, years ago on a canoe portage up in the Alguonquin Provincial Park.

Lucky for me that bear was just as startled as I was, and sprinted off before I had time to think.

If it had been "Grizz", I'd likely just be a scattered pile of scat in those Canada woods. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

The King Machine

Here's a few more pictures. This spring has been really wet, that coupled with the excessive snow pack melting has created a lot of high lakes and rivers. Washed out bridges are a real concern on the forest service roads this time of year, especially on the roads less traveled.

The water moves quick, certain death if you fall in. If the current doesn't beat you to a pulp the cold will take you minutes later.

I was even able to enjoy some freedom courtesy of Uncle Sam :D

Attachments

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was this what you were looking for?

View attachment 686512

Bringing back good memories. My colleague in the filed at AH Mile 422 in northern BC told me to quickly look what was what. With black bears: chase them away with noise. Grizzly: not good idea, try climbing a tree. Climbing a tree is a bad idea with big black bears; they climb better than you do.

We once decided to pitch our tent on the edge of a parking place but I saw something move out. I realized after a few secs it was a grizzly, needles to say we decided to sleep somewhere else.

Glenngineer

Had a great summer with the truck, made a few improvements and really put the old girl to the test..........she handled everything and asked for seconds.

I'll say it again, by far the best purchase I've made. People up here really get a kick out of this mean truck. It turns heads and they always smile.......chicks dig it too.
The truck and I went on a 4 day expedition along an old gold rush trail here in BC called the Whipsaw trail. A popular 4x4 destination. I really enjoyed the challenge of squeezing this old girl through trees, up and down mountain switch backs and climbing steep loose terrain. With these tires aired down to 18psi she performs better than the rest and with more style. The kraut UNIMOG's I wheel with were very surprised at what this "cookie cutter" truck can do. Nobody expected to see an old deuce up on them tight remote trails so their reaction alone was worth the trip.
I've made a lot of improvements to the truck this year including restoration of the bench seats, 12x4.5" LED off road lights 8 out front 4 for reverse for a total 26,400 lumen, custom cargo bulk head with light mounts, replaced the stock lights with H4's, and put on the tires. Up next I'll be painting her the standard NATO pattern, maybe this weekend.

Wish list:
-Air assist steering
-new seats
-a couple of Detroits for the rear axles
-air shift t case
-The proper rims
-Cargo cover and bows

If any of my fellow SS can help me track down some of these items I would be in your debt as parts are not easy to find up here. maybe I'll make a trip down to one of your rallies next year.

[media]
Caribou 6x6 in Quesnel may be able to help you.

The King Machine

Hey Guys,

Hope everyone is in good spirits and without hassle or pain.

The Deuce has been relegated to Walmart, yard work, and car show duties for the most part. I have started a family and mountain expeditions have declined unfortunately.

Time really does fly.

I recognized the problem, I needed a vehicle that could accommodate my family. Something I could put a car seat in.........So I managed to win this Marine Corps Hmmwv out at Yermo in March. 🤣 it needs a bit of work but all the bits are there.
Now the deuce has a little brother!
The only problem is COVID 19 and the related paperwork to have this vehicle released has prevented me from getting it home.

just a waiting game now.

Attachments

The King Machine

So,

The King Deuce is getting what might be it’s last set of major upgrades and repair.

I’ve always wanted drop side beds. My winch needed replacement also. Unfortunately for us Canadians parts for these trucks don’t grow on trees like they do in the mighty USA!

luckily for me a member here by the name of ODNorth had a few choice items in stock. Including a winch and a set of genuine drop down sides.

so I grabbed them and went to work.

I started by installing the winch, i did so by using my forklift to lift it up from the bottom.
I didn’t even need to loosen the bolts on the mounting brackets. Just a little finessing and in it went. Works great.
AF3365CE-B331-418E-93BC-80126C7C2928.jpeg
A29606DF-43B8-4F2E-AE32-47D6B815FADC.jpeg

The King Machine

Next the drop sides.

I used a zip cut to do all the cutting. Less clean up, less chance of fire, and nice accurate cuts. I’m near surgical with those babies.

started with removing the old rusty sides and laying out the front corners.

now I admit this isn’t a military spec refit, it’s custom to some extent to my needs.

stainless steel bolts and nylock nuts for hinges.
0C08C784-EFCB-4B44-96F1-C524B1247B2C.jpeg
5C789691-5470-4BB0-A735-588BA4DA27CE.jpeg
BD47C19F-B3CE-41C3-93B8-0FC772C16EC0.jpeg
F4E02915-AC0A-4615-8562-1BED36A5D763.jpeg
367858E4-1383-49D1-AD55-02B4070DAB9D.jpeg
F0EC1AAD-192D-4B02-A720-0EECE4580084.jpeg
5E004F00-09E9-4BB3-B6A2-82ACFCA3C2A4.jpeg
9E8597AE-0FB7-4D52-B083-BFA955C19673.jpeg
C4B77BB8-B560-43DB-8EEE-CA15AF065640.jpeg
01D55CA9-67FC-467A-B635-24D1CD43AC7D.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks