• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

An American Deuce in Canada

The King Machine

The year of the car show.

I've been pretty active this year. It's really the first time I've been involved with car shows. It turns out to be really fun. You get to meet all kinds of great people.

Now I would like a gun ring, Combat ready mannequins , and an artillery piece to tow behind the deuce.

Attachments

The King Machine

My new best friend ODNorth brought his wrecker out to a charity show. That truck is a beauty, looked brand new. I was even granted permission to operate the boom. That was fun! I only got to experience operation for a short time but I could see how capable that truck is.

Thanks Rob.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Those are great pics, TKM; thanks for the treat.

I'm especially liking the "Arachno-Deuce" with the spider beams. I'll bet that thing really lights up the night:

deuce.jpg

The King Machine

Loose Deuce

She's being used this summer that is for sure. A few 100 km on forest service road, several car shows, and wonderful memories.

I entered her in her 3rd car show a couple weeks back. I really enjoy watching the kids climb all over it, big smiles as always. A couple young boys were so overwhelmed with fact they were able to sit behind the wheel.....they went into full emotional overload with melt down. They must have returned back to the truck 3 or 4 more times over the course of the day. Really make sit all worth it.

A week later she was back in the remote Canadian wilderness for a 7 day camping trip, no cell phones, no Bullstuff, Just me, my Deuce, and nature. Packed the trailer with gear, loaded the boat, and all the rest of it.
A few friends joined me for the last 3 days. We had a great time. Fishing, eating, drinking, and Shot some rifles too............melting stress with high velocity ammo one shot at a time!

Attachments

Another Ahab

You got it Ahab, reminds me of the Eastern Sierras. There is so much wilderness, there's still places no man has set foot.
I just read somewhere the other day that we lost 10% over the last 40 years of the little wilderness remaining in the world. I'm not sure how that was measured, but it's only a matter of time before it's all gone (highways and parking lots). What do you think, 100 years? Enjoy what you can I guess, while there's time.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have only now come across this thread! Thanks for taking the time to do the write-ups and post the gorgeous pictures. Deuce****ography at its finest!

The rollover of the MB1017......I vividly remember the time one of our members on this site was killed in a rollover of an M35A3 that he had just picked up from the auction. http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...-in-m35a3-roll-over-and-drivers-death.148722/

Jones wrote a good post a while back about designing roll-over protection:

If at all possible, don't get yourself in a jam to begin with... Deuces are a little big for extreme rock crawling.
That said; I know accidents DO happen and people do dumb things, sometimes on a fairly regular basis.

For anything as big as a deuce, 4"dia. (3" if you're doing the double rollbar style) schedule 80 .250 wall is minimum. And that stuff will require a big hydraulic bender.
An alternative would be the weld-it preformed radiuses and a GOOD welder who knows what he's doing. You'll still want to gusset the corners and cross-brace it where needed. All should connect to the frame; attaching it to the cab floor is a big NO-NO.

Another thing to consider is the use, at least overhead, of 1/4" wire or bigger 2" to 3" opening steel mesh screen to cut down on the possibility of a smaller boulder or downed tree limb coming through the openings between the roll-bar tubes and hurting you as you cart-wheel down the hillside.

For a material strength test; lay a couple of long pieces of the pipe you've chosen on blocks and drive your rig up on them. Next, lay on the ground under the pipe--
Feel safe? When you get pipe big enough to feel comfy laying under, that's the size to use.
This may all sound kinda tongue-in-cheek but you won't find it funny when you're looking at the ground where the sky should be.

And here is what the Norwegian Army did to their Deuces - replaces the first cargo cover bow:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ver-protection&p=281211&viewfull=1#post281211

Last edited:

The King Machine

Nov.11 of last year I took the trailer and truck out for one last camping trip before winter. Had a great time and thought of a few ways to improve the trailer.
IMG_2557.jpgIMG_2563.jpgIMG_2562.jpgIMG_2566.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg
So to start I bought 4 more HEMTT wheels. Then I mounted a couple of my spare 395's on them. Finally I tossed them babies right on that trailer. They fit nice, I may install some fender flares because the tires stick out about 2 inches.
From there I decided to fabricate my exo-cage. This cage will offer a secure platform to add accessories to the trailer aside from its primary goal for deflecting/bashing trees and debris. The truck will receive an exo cage in the future also.
Plans for this trailer will include an battery bank and solar panels. Storage for propane, small genset, nice bed, heater, hot water, stereo/VHF, and various plugs to run my mobile camping freezer and other electronics.
I also plan to fabricate a 5.5 ft tall Aluminum loading ramp for the back of the trailer. The ramp will also serve as an extension of the deck when lowered half way down. I'll fabricate Some adjustable legs.

Traler 1.jpgIMG_2689.jpg

Decided to use 2"x2"x 1/8 wall HSS tube. I wanted to keep it as light as possible. Not too top heavy.
I drilled the deck for bolted connections. So I can remove the cage if needed.

traler 2.jpgtrailer 3.jpg

I have a few more pcs to tack in to help stiffen the cage up then I should be ready for weld and paint. I also installed my Antenna and CB in the Deuce. I'm looking for a VHF antenna to add now.

IMG_2687.jpgIMG_2688.jpgcoms system.jpg
Below are some gratuitous Deuce shots in winter conditions where said antenna can be seen installed.
Deuce Snow BW.jpgDeuce snow 2.jpgDeuce snow.jpg

:)

Another Ahab

Nov.11 of last year I took the trailer and truck out for one last camping trip before winter. Had a great time and thought of a few ways to improve the trailer.
View attachment 665553View attachment 665554View attachment 665555
View attachment 665582
Your rig looks seriously awesome, The King Machine; real fine!

And that is beautiful country you took to for your end-of-year "sleepover"; just beautiful.

Did you maybe see anything interesting out there that you don't normally see (bear, elk, big eagles or anything)?

The King Machine

I see lots of deer and the odd Black bear, then you will see moose as you go further North.
Often I find tracks for mountain lions and the wolves howl during the night.

Mostly they stay away because my campsites usually sound like the Battle for the Bulge on any given day.

Another Ahab

I see lots of deer and the odd Black bear, then you will see moose as you go further North.
Often I find tracks for mountain lions and the wolves howl during the night.

Mostly they stay away because my campsites usually sound like the Battle for the Bulge on any given day.
I was sort of figuring that.

After you pull up to camp in that rig of yours I'd be kind surprised if any wildlife in the area hadn't already sprinted a mile off anyhow and was STILL running! :naner:

The King Machine

Grizzly bear Is always a concern you will start to see around the same time you see the moose.

I've never seen one but almost certain I've heard them on one or two occasions.

I've encountered fresh t*rd on a quad trip away from camp. I poked it with a stick, no skin on it.

I chambered the M14 right away :tank:

Another Ahab

Grizzly bear Is always a concern you will start to see around the same time you see the moose.

I chambered the M14 right away

Oh, yeah; Griz is something to take seriously I'm told.

I got an old hockey buddy who moved out to Alaska decades back, and he's been guiding wilderness trips there for over 30 years. He's pretty good I hear:

http://www.wildernessalaska.com/

He told me once, how Griz if they get your scent (human scent that is), then they start right away figuring out where you are so they can get to you.

And it's because to them, you're not a threat:

- you're a meal!

My buddy's "medicine" for bear is a .44 Magnum. But he told me that it's really all show, just for his clients, to make them feel secure.

Because from what he told me unless you can place the shot right into their eyeball, you're pretty much gone. Because their skull is so thick that all that round is going to do is make them mad.

And the only thing worse than a hungry Griz is an angry Griz, because Griz get bigger than most people realize, like 900 lbs (400 kg) big; real BIG:

Big Bear.jpg

Last edited:

BnaditCorps

My buddy's "medicine" for bear is a .44 Magnum. But he told me that it's really all show, just for his clients, to make them feel secure.

Because from what he told me unless you can place the shot right into their eyeball, you're pretty much gone. Because their skull is so thick that all that round is going to do is make them mad.
That is why you:
A) Make sure you run faster than everyone else in the group
or
B) Have more firepower that a .44 Magnum
or
C) Have both A and B to make you ultra safe

But I digress, we are taking over this thread.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks