• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

And Yet Another Way To Bob A Deuce!

mikew

Howdy All,

Ok, I admit it, I've got no new technical innovations!

But; I'm just about done with my current Bobbed Deuce project and want to see what you guys think of it. In particular, what do you think could be done better and what have I overlooked.

This truck is one that StreeBikeDepot recovered for me from Hooks and used it to tow another Deuce home (I owe him a big favor for all that!).

Here are the "upgrades"

Body:
Desert Sand, Matte Finish, Automotive Grade Paint (This is a “semi-gloss” finish, not a flat like the original military CARC, it is not “shinny” and is much easier to keep clean)

Spray In Bed Liner (Running boards sprayed too)

Cab:
Driver and Passenger Spring Ride Seat Bases

Driver and Passenger Bostrom Seating, Inc. Bucket Seats (New factory conversion take-outs from Freightliner)

Passenger Side Grab Bar (Makes getting in much easier)

Rear View Mirror (Mounted on the windshield center post, it only allows you to see directly behind, but is very handy)

Side Mirrors Relocated (moved closer to the cab so they don’t stick out so far)

Rubber Floor Mats (Helps keep the cab cooler and quieter)

Remote Brake Fluid Reservoir (Mounted at the rear of the cab next to the drivers seat, very easy to check the fluid level at a glance)

Personel Heater Mounted in the Cab (With the "Air" control modified to operate a water valve, to regulate the temperature)

New Dash Data Plates

New 5-Gallon Blitz Jerry Can

Chassis and Drive Train:
Goodyear G177 11.00R20 Tires (44” Tall giving 60MPH cruise at 2500 RPM, 68MPH at 2900 RPM governor limit. Rated for 68MPH and 7380 LBS max load per tire)

Goodyear G177 11.00R20 Spare Tire (Mounted in the original location)

Rear Bumper / Cross Member Relocated by Cutting the Frame and Re-Drilling All Mounting Holes (No welding on the frame)

Bed Bolted On (Installed the same way as the original Deuce and Half bed with the bed resting on an oak 1x3, the rear mount bolted to frame and the front spring mounted)

Rear Axle Spring Hangers Bolted to Frame

Mud Flaps (Removable, easily un-bolted if you need extra ground clearance)

Rear Hubs Flipped (Equal front and rear wheel track)

Front Bumper Steps (Makes it much easier to get up and check engine the fluids.)

Dynomax Stainless Steel Muffler (Makes for a quieter ride and is hidden behind the stock exhaust pipe guard.)

Electrical and Lighting:
LED Tail Lights (Really bright and last for years of service.)

LED Clearance Lights (Three per side; a red one at the rear of the bed, amber ones on the front of the bed and next to the front running light.)

Front Running Lights circuit modified to illuminate with rear running lights (Normally the front lights are only on in “Park” mode)

LED Instrument Lights, Amber Color (You can actually see the instruments at night!)

LED Interior Lights, Amber Color (Come on when the drivers door is opened and illuminates the foot wells)

12 Volt, 120 Watt (10 Amp) DC/DC Converter

12 Volt Accessory Jack (Cigarette Lighter Style Socket mounted on the dash)

Keyed Battery Cutoff Switch (Dash Mounted, with two Keys)

Fuse Block for 24 Volt Circuits (Engine, Lights, Heater, Horn, Cold Start and DC/DC converter each on separately fused circuits. Re-wiring is done at the original harness splice location)

Towing Package:
Class 5 Receiver Hitch; 15,000 Lbs Tow, 1,500 Lbs Tongue Weight (Removable, can be un-bolted if you need extra ground clearance. Receiver is 2”)

Dual Trailer Light Sockets (Military 24 Volt and Civilian 12 Volt with 6 Way Round Socket. Civilian 12 Volt Socket is isolated from 24V system with relays and powered from DC/DC Converter)

Attachments

Last edited:

pjpiche1

Nice truck! Very clean! Looks like you payed very good attention to details. Just curious, do you know how many hours you have in this build?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

...This truck is one that StreeBikeDepot recovered for me from Hooks and used it to tow another Deuce home (I owe him a big favor for all that!).
Hey what about me........Don't I get any credit...........I'm the one that talked Streetbike into bringing it home.:| Just kidding.

I road in this truck yesterday and it is sweeeeeet. Super smooth ride, nice throaty sound from the exhaust.

Mike's attention to detail is superb. Looking forward to the next one.

Bigdog123

Looks Great. I really like the seats where did they come from thinking about something different for my Duce as well. i just got my Duce a month ago and still trying which direction to go with it. Stock or modified? I really don't know. I just ordered air assist steering for it. So far thats it. Air assist, artic heater and hard top.

jfnemt1ff1

Very Nice job, very nice details. Can I ask were did you get the paint? Great job on the wireing I luv it when people take time to work on the wires and make it look nice.:beer:
John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks