• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Annual Maintenance Costs of LMTV

Mustangsud

So, these trucks will NEVER be reliable? They will ALWAYS break down?
I own several of them. The other members have already given very good descriptions of what all is involved to annually have a truck you can use. The condition of these trucks are all over the map.

The important thing to clearly understand is that ”Never” and “Always” will not apply. It’s impossible to tell you how much annual maintenance costs you will spend. Do you want a truck to look at, or do you want to drive it?

Ive got a truck we took to Louisiana for Hurricaine Laura, and we drove it 1000 mi. and had zero trouble. I’ve got a truck that we started one day to let run and charge batteries, then came back 30 min later to the cab full of smoke and fuse board totally fried.

The answer to your question is that costs are all over the map, right along with the condition.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
So, these trucks will NEVER be reliable? They will ALWAYS break down?
OK, How about this way to explain.
The truck, not in war zone, lived at a motor pool with a bunch of people that really know what they are doing to a truck with endless free parts in case something needed replacement. Those that drove the truck had other things on their mind and maintenance and treating it right was not two of those thoughts. It got run around over and under lots of stuff and became used, doing its military mission.
At some point, according to how much new stuff coming in, the higher ups of that section decided what to get rid of, hanger queens first, then marginals, then the We can't fix that with what We can get parts trucks. After a while the new stuff comes in so out with the old, The Sergeant Majors' favorites trucks being the LAST to go.
Trucks goto auction with all their sophisticated elecctrics/electronsics and all that special stuff that was meant to do a job because all that stuff is now OLD and sometimes it is a can of worms.
So now I buy it at auction for 10% or less of what it costs new. Now I go down the long long path learning everything there is to know about it and how to fix it and I charge shop rate of $100 an hour.
I happy because I drive, sometimes, a really cool piece of history. I spend three times what I paid for it and realize it is like the aircraft with $1000 hits to my accounts and I could have gone and bought a brandy new truck for the same money and just enjoyed what I set out to do in the first place instead of fix the truck that gets me there.
I did it and have no advise. I drew the line for me at a Deuce, She made me happy.

HN6

There’s a saying, “if one wants something badly enough, they will find a way to make it happen.” Well, I’m doing the research to see if I can make it happen. Maybe there’s someone out there willing to put in the time to teach me how to do some of that maintenance and repairs?

People are trying to help you but you are not listening. Read the TM it will spell out the maintenance schedule for you. A couple of folks already answered your question. Now, you have to read it.

I am the same as you I like to keep asking till I get the answers I want... Slowly I am learning to listen, but man it sure is hard. Enjoy the MV journey if you ever purchase one.

I bought mine for 3500. Currently at 13,500. If I had a shop do all the work... $38,750. It is only a M35. I could not afford the LMTV.

Reworked LMTV

Annual maintenance costs associated with operation of an LMTV are predicated on whether you bring it back to new state or do minimal work on it and fix it as you go. If you put all synthetic fluids in, they cost more, but you won't be replacing them as often (assuming you are not getting contaminants like water) . This is the route that I went. Engine, trans, 3 axles and hubs. All synthetic. Do the really heavy stuff first, when you are exponentially motivated : )

I note that many people don't even replace 20 year old silicone hoses. A major benefit to doing a lot of up front work, is that you have already become very familiar with the vehicle's operation and can likely handle a major issue much better. You'll have spares for known problem areas. You can speak the language, and are part of the "network". Let alone, not get ripped off by some shop when they see your face of desperation.

Sometimes things go very wrong, like a marred hub from a hammer. If you are a machinist, that's a great bonus. If you're not, you better make a new friend : )

Your approach to your tuck's mechanicals is crucial. You can pay up front, or pay through the nose every time that you get in a pinch. Just saying....

JD4044M

No break downs, leaks ect yet except the air leak in 50 or so miles I fixed for around $50.00 except just bought tire chains $500.00 and 2 tires $500.00 each, Block Heater $100.00 I know I am forgetting things? I have been going over it closely just in case! Just put the chains on took several hours trimming them to fit. Now just need to snug them up tighter.DSCF6176.JPGDSCF6177.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No break downs, leaks ect yet except the air leak in 50 or so miles I fixed for around $50.00 except just bought tire chains $500.00 and 2 tires $500.00 each, Block Heater $100.00 I know I am forgetting things? I have been going over it closely just in case! Just put the chains on took several hours trimming them to fit. Now just need to snug them up tighter.View attachment 821769View attachment 821770
What kind/brand of chains are those? Were they not made for these tires, and that's why you had to trim them?

JD4044M

I seem to get chains longer then needed when bought and just trim the ends? I don't like tails of loose chain to catch stuff. They were sized for grader tires and 395/85 20's. Made in China I guess? I got a discount cause the cheaper ones were gone. $400.00 off on the 4 of them.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I seem to get chains longer then needed when bought and just trim the ends? I don't like tails of loose chain to catch stuff. They were sized for grader tires and 395/85 20's. Made in China I guess? I got a discount cause the cheaper ones were gone. $400.00 off on the 4 of them.
A few years ago the real NSN'd Pewag chains were plentiful and cheap. I picked them up for $150/pair, shipped! (I don't know how the seller made any money off them.)

One thing I've personally decided is that when I see an item available for sale that I want for my truck, I buy it right then, if at all possible. Parts availability seems to be feast or famine... either they are plentiful and practically being given away, or they are ultra-rare and you'll have to pay ridiculous prices for them. I don't know if that is good or bad advice, as I've also bought some overpriced stuff that later went down too, but at least I'm happy that I have a bunch of cool parts that are very hard to find now (e.g. crane, CTIS covers, tire chains, A/C with new gen heater box, etc.).

Last edited:

Reworked LMTV

A few years ago the real NSN'd Pewag chains were plentiful and cheap. I picked them up for $150/pair, shipped! (I don't know how the seller made any money off them.)

One thing I've personally decided is that when I see an item I want for my truck available for sale, I buy it right then, if at all possible. Parts availability seems to be feast or famine... either they are plentiful and practically being given away, or they are ultra-rare and you'll have to pay ridiculous prices for them. I don't know if that is good or bad advice, as I've also bought some overpriced stuff that later went down too, but at least I'm happy that I have a bunch of cool parts that are very hard to find now (e.g. crane, CTIS covers, tire chains, A/C with new gen heater box, etc.).
Yup, buy on the fly. I got 6 chains for $150.

Third From Texas

Engine crankcase 25 quarts 15W-40
Transmission @ oil change: 31.8 quarts (15w40 OR Mobile ATF D/M
Transmission @ overhaul: 39 quarts
Steering: 5 quarts hydro fluid or steering fluid
Hydraulic reservoir: 27 gallons hydro *winch truck
Front diff: 9.5 quarts SAE 75w90
Rear diff: 18.05 quarts SAE 75w90
Front planetary hubs: 11-13 OZ SAE 75w90
Cooling system total: 43.8 quarts antifreeze (HD diesel truck that meets A-A-52624)
Cooling system w/ arctic kit: 58.3 quarts

Reworked LMTV

Engine crankcase 25 quarts 15W-40
Transmission @ oil change: 31.8 quarts (15w40 OR Mobile ATF D/M
Transmission @ overhaul: 39 quarts
Steering: 5 quarts hydro fluid or steering fluid
Hydraulic reservoir: 27 gallons hydro *winch truck
Front diff: 9.5 quarts SAE 75w90
Rear diff: 18.05 quarts SAE 75w90
Front planetary hubs: 11-13 OZ SAE 75w90
Cooling system total: 43.8 quarts antifreeze (HD diesel truck that meets A-A-52624)
Cooling system w/ arctic kit: 58.3 quarts
What is the recommended power steering fluid?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I’m looking into buying either an F350 or LMTV and converting it into an RV. A big part of my decision is the maintenance costs. I’m trying to figure out whether it’s feasible for me to put aside money each month as I travel towards the annual maintenance. How much does it cost to maintain an LMTV each year?

If I was to get all the necessary repairs and/or upgrades at Grigsby Trucks or other similar company and keep up all the recommended maintenance, how often should I expect something to break down?
OK, what did you buy?

Reworked LMTV

I just bought some quality synthetic power steering fluid.

(P.S. All those capacities are listed in the parts spreadsheets - mine below in my signature, or the Stickied one.)
I looked through the TM. Think I will use the Phillips 66 Aircraft hydraulic fluid.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks