• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another CDL question..m275

bellyacre

CDL Question

This is making me crazy. I was reading this thread and cannot believe the lack of accurate information, most of it is not based in fact. if you ask 10 CDL licensed truck drivers the question of what vehicles need a CDL you will get 10 answers.

Someone advised if it has a stick, and air over hydraulics it's a CDL. Some one said something about Federal Title 13, which by the way is the U.S. Census.

Being a State Trooper (retired) assigned to the DOT unit here are the facts.

CDL Questions can be answers be accessing Federal Regulations Title 49 (Transportation), Subtitle B (Other Regulations Related To Transportation), Chapter III, (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (parts 350-399), Part 383 (CDL License Standards and Penalties), Subpart F, (Vehicle Groups And Endorsements), 383.91(a)(1) (1) Combination vehicle. (Group A)—Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds).

The short version would be 49CFR383.91

According to the data you have provided a 12,100 lb tractor with a 13,100lb trailer equals 25,200lbs total. So you do NOT need a CDL license. The fact that the vehicle combination has air over hydraulic brakes is not ans issue til you hit 26,0001 lbs. FYI Air brakes are a restriction on a CDL and NOT an endorsement.

Whether or not you feel comfortable driving the truck and trailer is up to you. If you are the least bit unsure, by all means have your CDL Licensed friend help you out

bellyacre

I just re-read your question, you say your bringing a bunch of tools and parts. If the tools and parts are under 801 lbs you won't need the CDL. Has the unit been to a CAT scale to get an accurate weight. that will resolve the weight question

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem is, each state he drives through, may have their own set of rules and terms.​

Note: If you are adding an
airbrake endorsement to a CDL
license, a full skills test will be required in a vehicle equipped
with air brakes.

FYI Air brakes are a restriction on a CDL and NOT an endorsement.

Seems like we now have 11 different(and probably incorrect) replys.​

Last edited:

Goose2448

I would think if you follow your states laws, most of them are similar, then your okay no matter where you go. As long as your under 26K total and have a trailer weight under 10K GVW and are driving for yourself (not for hire) you should be alright. That is how I understand our laws here in Florida. I would expect that you would be stopped at some point, and arrested in VA, because you look like a CDL type truck without DOT numbers.

quickfarms

The reguations are based on the gross weight and not the unladen weight or your scaled weight.

You stated that the trailer was at 13100 lds, unladen, wich is over 10000 lbs so a class a is required unless your state has different rules.

If your state has different rules then make sure you have a copy of them in the truck.

EO2NMCB

The problem is, each state he drives through, may have their own set of rules and terms.​

Seems like we now have 11 different(and probably incorrect) replys.​
FMC 383.95
Subpart F - Vehicle groups and endorsements

.§ 383.95Restrictions. (a) Air brake. (1) If an applicant either fails the air brake component of the knowledge test, or performs the skills test in a vehicle not equipped with air brakes, the State must indicate on the CLP or CDL, if issued, that the person is restricted from operating a CMV equipped with any type of air brakes. (2) For the purposes of the skills test and the restriction, air brakes include any braking system operating fully or partially on the air brake principle. (b) Full air brake. (1) If an applicant performs the skills test in a vehicle equipped with air over hydraulic brakes, the State must indicate on the CDL, if issued, that the person is restricted from operating a CMV equipped with any braking system operating fully on the air brake principle. (2) For the purposes of the skills test and the restriction, air over hydraulic brakes includes any braking system operating partially on the air brake and partially on the hydraulic brake principle.

FMCR spells it all out, even the air over hydraulic.

Last edited:

quickfarms

This applies to the skills test

I have been told that if the truck has an air compressor that is used for the brake system, than an air brake endorsement, or lack of restriction, is required for a vehicle with a gvw over 26000 lbs

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took the CDL class B in IL a couple weeks ago. I borrowed a dump truck to take the test because of the air brake endorsement (vs. air over hydraulic) to eliminate any issues if I drove anything other than a HMV.

If you drive any combination vehicle with a trailer plated for more than 10,000#'s, a class A CDL is required (i.e why you see alot of trailers at 10,000 Lbs max load).

Goose2448

FMC 383.95
Subpart F - Vehicle groups and endorsements

.§ 383.95Restrictions. (a) Air brake. (1) If an applicant either fails the air brake component of the knowledge test, or performs the skills test in a vehicle not equipped with air brakes, the State must indicate on the CLP or CDL, if issued, that the person is restricted from operating a CMV equipped with any type of air brakes. (2) For the purposes of the skills test and the restriction, air brakes include any braking system operating fully or partially on the air brake principle. (b) Full air brake. (1) If an applicant performs the skills test in a vehicle equipped with air over hydraulic brakes, the State must indicate on the CDL, if issued, that the person is restricted from operating a CMV equipped with any braking system operating fully on the air brake principle. (2) For the purposes of the skills test and the restriction, air over hydraulic brakes includes any braking system operating partially on the air brake and partially on the hydraulic brake principle.

FMCR spells it all out, even the air over hydraulic.
That would be correct. The only way I can understand it is, if there is anyway that air is used in the braking system, then you need the air brake endorsement. I do not even think a Historic Tag would over ride this fact.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My experience has been the license requirements go by the dash plate GCW. In the case of my M818, the dash plate says 75,690LBS highway. Now you can buy weighted tags for less weight and $$$. Or you can have the Antique tag that only shows the weight of the tractor. You can also go the RV trailer route.

But I think it will depend on who stops you. When it comes down to it, the weight is going to be the problem. The vehicle is capable/rated for X LBS, and that requires a CDL or does not. The air brake part is you are either restricted to non-air brake trucks or un-restricted.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looked looked like it was moving along really well when you passed me and sounded great! It gave me duece fever all over again
Not my truck, sadly!
Sorry for the lack of a timely update. The tractor and air ride trailer did make it home safely under it's own power.
[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks