• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Fuel Tank Thread

Smokinyoda

Wanted to post my results for others who might stumble across this looking for a cheap fix to the red slime problem common in these AF trucks. I dumped in 2 pounds of lye, (sold as drain cleaner at Lowes, Tractor Supply, etc) and added approx 30 gallons of water. Sealed up all openings, then put in back of my truck to agitate it while I drove to work and back, then down to the GA Rally and back. Once home I flushed it out real good with water. The results were amazing, and total cost was about $15.

WARNING: Lye is very corrosive to skin, will make some serious burns if not careful. If you try this make sure to wear proper protection, including heavy rubber gloves, full face shield, etc. Since Lye is a base keep a weak acid on hand to neutralize such as plain white vinegar.

Resize of IMG_3995.jpgResize of IMG_4157.jpgResize of IMG_3990.jpgResize of IMG_3989.jpgResize of IMG_4159.jpg

Last edited:

welldigger

That's what I was thinking about welldigger ! Eastwood sells it .
O ok. Didn't know if Eastwood had their own branded product. I know they have their own brand of other things.

You can also buy por 15 products directly from their website. Again, I don't know who has it cheaper.

Doug Roberts

yes , they use biodiesel at WRAFB , I have one from there too. If you follow the advice already stated above , you should be good to go. I have not done mine yet. I've probably run 6 full tanks since I got it in April , and I've used some additive. I'm not seeing any immediate problem but it needs to addressed soon. My clutch was not so good , and putting in a complete new one. Found lock washers not put back on ect ect. Someone had been in there and just adjusted it (rigged it) . If you replace your flywheel , use new bolts . There's evidence thay used an impact wrench working on mine.

Loose Deuce

I was going to cut a hole in the top of the back section so I could get in there to clean it. then just bolt a plate over it with a gasket like the pump hole. thing is my tank was brand new when I got the truck and I didn't take care of it and I had to clean it out and all fuel related stuff that I could. Didn't seem it was that long ago you could get new tanks for $100.00, and now they are $200.00 .

rustystud

O ok. Didn't know if Eastwood had their own branded product. I know they have their own brand of other things.

You can also buy por 15 products directly from their website. Again, I don't know who has it cheaper.
I didn't mean that to come off as a slam, I meant it as, "Yes that's what I was thinking too !" kind of thing . Like two minds thinking the same thing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks