• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another M1010 owner

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found a little massaging was needed for clearance. While the Sherpa Steed 17K winch does fit between the frame rails, when centered the motor needs some more room for clearance. Admittedly the motor on mine looks different than pictured on their web site. Also got the control box mounted and starting to run wires. ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿฅ“๐Ÿฅ“๐Ÿฅƒ๐Ÿฅƒ #m1010 #cucv

Just curious - are you powering the 24v winch with the 24v slave wiring?

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wrestled everything back together! Certainly happy to use new hardware for the bumper, much easier to get started. Added anti-seize on all the threads. Hooked up 24v from the buss bars, and itโ€™s running! ๐Ÿ‘ The @factor55 XXL looks beefy on there till you step back. ๐ŸŽ„๐ŸŒฒ๐ŸŽ„๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿฅ“๐Ÿฅ“๐Ÿฅƒ๐Ÿฅƒ #m1010 #cucv

Attachments

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wrestled everything back together! Certainly happy to use new hardware for the bumper, much easier to get started. Added anti-seize on all the threads. Hooked up 24v from the buss bars, and itโ€™s running! ๐Ÿ‘ The @factor55 XXL looks beefy on there till you step back. ๐ŸŽ„๐ŸŒฒ๐ŸŽ„๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿฅ“๐Ÿฅ“๐Ÿฅƒ๐Ÿฅƒ #m1010 #cucv

I'm hooked. I want to order the same outfit from Sherpa. Would you be so kind to share your ordering information? Dayum that is good looking.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm hooked. I want to order the same outfit from Sherpa. Would you be so kind to share your ordering information? Dayum that is good looking.
Sharecropper,

I ordered directly from Sherpa 4x4 and actually I'm not sure where else to get one. I ordered the Sherpa Steed 17K 24v with 92' rope ($1049) and extended battery cables ($99). The 148' version changes the winch body and it will not fit in the winch plate from Engineered Vintage . I went with the 17K because of the GVW of the M1010 (9450lbs) and following the rule of 1.5xGVW had me closer to 15K. If I had a M1008 I probably would have done the Sherpa Colt 12K but the price difference is only $50. The Colt does have a faster line speed because of internal gearing.

Additionally, I ordered the Wireless Remote Kit ($119) afterwards...

I also purchased addition hardware for my installation, the kit comes with most but I changed some of it around.

Last edited:

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sharecropper,

I ordered directly from Sherpa 4x4 and actually I'm not sure where else to get one. I ordered the Sherpa Steed 17K 24v with 92' rope ($1049) and extended battery cables ($99). The 148' version changes the winch body and it will not fit in the winch plate from . I went with the 17K because of the GVW of the M1010 (9450lbs) and following the rule of 1.5xGVW had me closer to 15K. If I had a M1008 I probably would have done the Sherpa Colt 12K but the price difference is only $50. The Colt does have a faster line speed because of internal gearing.

I also purchased addition hardware for my installation, the kit comes with most but I changed some of it around.
Thank you for that information. I had been looking at Sherpa for quite some time, and really liked their product. I guess it took your post to flip my switch. I know all about ordering from Australia. I purchased my supercharger from Bullet in Yatala Qld, wherever the hail that is.

I'll get my Sherpa Steed ordered right away. Again, thanks for a most informative post.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for that information. I had been looking at Sherpa for quite some time, and really liked their product. I guess it took your post to flip my switch. I know all about ordering from Australia. I purchased my supercharger from Bullet in Yatala Qld, wherever the hail that is.

I'll get my Sherpa Steed ordered right away. Again, thanks for a most informative post.
No problem! My only issue with Sherpa was they notified me 5 days after ordering of the back order on the winch. Then it was the 2 weeks, any day emails, which is becoming the norm these days.

Last edited:

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sharecropper,

I ordered directly from Sherpa 4x4 and actually I'm not sure where else to get one. I ordered the Sherpa Steed 17K 24v with 92' rope ($1049) and extended battery cables ($99). The 148' version changes the winch body and it will not fit in the winch plate from Engineered Vintage . I went with the 17K because of the GVW of the M1010 (9450lbs) and following the rule of 1.5xGVW had me closer to 15K. If I had a M1008 I probably would have done the Sherpa Colt 12K but the price difference is only $50. The Colt does have a faster line speed because of internal gearing.

I'm on Sherpa's website now preparing my order. I plan to order the same unit as you did. Question - did you order the 500 amp fuse & fuse-holder?

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm on Sherpa's website now preparing my order. I plan to order the same unit as you did. Question - did you order the 500 amp fuse & fuse-holder?
I did not order the 500 amp fuse/ holder from them. I'm using a Blue Sea Systems terminal with a 250a fuse. With the 24v application the winch is supposed to pull a max of 225a so I feel the 500 is a little overkill. They fit the bussbar nicely...

Attachments

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. I plan to add two Blue Sea terminal blocks anyway to power all my stuff (one for 12-volt and another for 24-volt), so I will simply add one of the same fuses to my order. I will appreciate it if you will provide the Blue Sea part number. Never mind, I clicked on the link in your post above.

Another question - is there a specific kit number for the Engineered Vintage winch mount? I was on their website last night preparing to order it but the installation directions indicated that their kit would not accommodate the Sherpa Steed 17,000. Maybe they hadn't updated their documentation yet?

Thanks again for all your help.

Last edited:

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another question - is there a specific kit number for the Engineered Vintage winch mount? I was on their website last night preparing to order it but the installation directions indicated that their kit would not accommodate the Sherpa Steed 17,000. Maybe they hadn't updated their documentation yet?

Thanks again for all your help.
There is only one kit from Engineered Vintage for our trucks. Interestingly enough if you look at the Winch Dimension from Sherpa for the Colt 12k and Steed 17k with the 28m spool they are the same dimensions. But, the Steed with the 45m spool in definitely bigger like the Stallion 25k. Because of the same model having two different dimensions, Ben, at Engineered Vintage may not update as it may confuse some. The bigger body winch will not fit in the winch mounting tray from Engineered Vintage as it's not wide enough.

What I haven't measured on mine is the distance from the winch mounting hole to the end of the motor. On the dimension sheet it says 7 3/8" but the terminals are different on my winch (as shown) and there is a heat sink on the end of it. This is where I had a clearance issue as I couldn't push the winch over far enough to clear the frame. So I cut the bottom of the frame rail for some for clearance, not a lot as you can see what I cut off. I'm not sure that there wouldn't be the same issue with the Colt 12k at this point or not.

I'll see if I can measure it today and can let you know...

Attachments

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you. The Sherpa Steed is on its way, and I just hung up with Ben at Engineered Vintage and got the BBWM ordered. Next in line is Blue Sea. Now I just need to find the time to get everything done!

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you. The Sherpa Steed is on its way, and I just hung up with Ben at Engineered Vintage and got the BBWM ordered. Next in line is Blue Sea. Now I just need to find the time to get everything done!
I understand what you're saying. I spent an hour yesterday at the truck going through old lists, making new a list. Then walked around the truck finding more to add to the list of things to get done. I ended up with almost a page of things to do... :ROFLMAO:.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I understand what you're saying. I spent an hour yesterday at the truck going through old lists, making new a list. Then walked around the truck finding more to add to the list of things to get done. I ended up with almost a page of things to do... :ROFLMAO:.
Two years of working on my first project truck and the list is finally getting shorter.
When I started, every time I fixed something on the list - six, or eight, or ten more things were ADDED to the fix list.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I measured from the mounting bolt to the end of the heat sink and came up with 7 7/8" as compared to dimensional drawing saying 7 3/8". So mine came in 1/2" longer which necessitated my trimming of the frame. I think it would have a cleared if it was the shorter measurement or just required a little grinding. I could have taken some more out but I don't think it's going anywhere.

Attachments

2INSANE

Jesus! That Sherpa winch is a great deal! I paid $2800 for my Warn 24v winch about 8 years ago and it is only rated 12k. Nice score! Have you thought about winching up a big tree or a 100% vertical incline just to see if it would lift it? Would be cool. Iโ€™ve thought about doing that for fun. Now that you have a winch, all your buddies will be asking you to pull them out and you will never get to use it for your actual truck because everyone will get stuck before you do! Lol!

Also you should charge a hook up fee and pull fee and eventually you will have enough money for a couple more upgrades! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Last edited:

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jesus! That Sherpa winch is a great deal! I paid $2800 for my Warn 24v winch about 8 years ago and it is only rated 12k. Nice score! Have you thought about winching up a big tree or a 100% vertical incline just to see if it would lift it? Would be cool. Iโ€™ve thought about doing that for fun. Now that you have a winch, all your buddies will be asking you to pull them out and you will never get to use it for your actual truck because everyone will get stuck before you do! Lol!

Also you should charge a hook up fee and pull fee and eventually you will have enough money for a couple more upgrades! ๐Ÿ˜‚
I own a couple of Warn winches but never a new one, to much $$$. I'm hoping the Sherpa works out well and the reviews are good. I do have a 8274 waiting for a Willys project that hopefully happens some day.

I think it was Hickey that use to pick up a truck and hang it in their ads. :LOL: Not sure if I want 10K swinging in the air from a winch line...

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks