• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anti-Theft System Suggestions?

Jinx

I recently purchased a deuce from GL, but haven't picked it up yet. Once it arrives, I'm a little concerned about theft. What do you do to secure an M35A2? I hear the government chains the steering wheels, but I'm not even sure how that works. Is it chained from the wheel to a bracket on the seat?

Obviously "The Club" won't work on a truck like this. Could a battery lockout be wired to prevent the truck from starting, or could it still start without the batteries if it's parked on an incline?

Thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

rat4spd

the club would work quite effectively
pull the battery cable
pull the fuel pump wire
It depends on how secure you want. Nothing is going to stop a pro, or someone that really wants it. For the casual thief, or person of opportunity, just put a keyed switch on the starter button, or under the hood or body, you could key the fuel pump.

dm22630

the club would work quite effectively
pull the battery cable
pull the fuel pump wire

Pulling the fuel pump wire would do nothing to stop the truck from being started/run. The injector pump will suck fuel out of the tank & you will experience no difference in power/starting abilities unless air gets in the line & you would need to bleed the fuel.

I learned this the hard way when I replaced my fuel filters & couldnt get the truck started. It was a $1 glass fuse on the top of the fuel pump that burnt out. My truck had been running for a looong time with only the injector pump & not the fuel pump running.

2cents

Jinx

Fuel pump cutoff is a great idea! The truck couldn't run without fuel. Would a 12-volt ignition work, or do I need to get something specifically for 24-volt? I've never owned a 24-volt vehicle before.

Edit: D'oh! Guess that won't work.

Jinx

A keyed battery lockout was my first thought, but it seems these trucks can run without batteries. So if the truck were to roll fast enough down a hill, it would start anyways.

Is there any other method to disable these trucks?

rat4spd

Pulling the fuel pump wire would do nothing to stop the truck from being started/run. The injector pump will suck fuel out of the tank & you will experience no difference in power/starting abilities unless air gets in the line & you would need to bleed the fuel.

I learned this the hard way when I replaced my fuel filters & couldnt get the truck started. It was a $1 glass fuse on the top of the fuel pump that burnt out. My truck had been running for a looong time with only the injector pump & not the fuel pump running.

2cents
Good point. You are really only trying to make it harder to get. The starter would probably be a good one.

grounded

Banned
Well it depends on how you wanta get these trucks are just about evil :twisted: if its on a incline or can get a pull start it dont need batteries or fuel pump to run. If its primed and dont have a leak back, Just push/pull start the truck and pop the clutch and your off.

throttle stop disconnect works, until some smartarse pops the hood and unhooks the cable off the engine then it can run again.

Only thing you are going to do is slow down, or stop a honest thief. If a guy wants the deuce and knows what hes taking i bet he gets it in under 5 mins :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

Jinx

m376x6

The keyed switches are generally rated for use over a range of voltages. Where a 24 volt system typically uses less current to operate items than a 12 volt system I would say that a switch that is listed as 12 system compitable will work just fine for 24 volts. I've run a lot of dueces over the years and agree with the statement that the trucks will run just fine without the in-tank fuel pump and even the electrical switch turned on once started. If you should get the desire, we use inline stainless steel Whitey and/or Swagelock small hand valves here at the plant. One of these installed on the fuel line between the final secondary fuel filter and the injector pump will work nicely to stop an engine shortly after it begins to run. Installing it near or around the secondary fuel filter bracket or behind the injector pump can make it difficult to see and not worth the effort to locate it when a potential thief is under stress while trying to make off with your treasure.

Regards,
M376X6

Take this into consideration. Its a bit complex, but WELL worth it. I've done this on several of my custom vehicles. First you will need one of these:
Digital Guard Dawg Motorcycle Security
Its made for a Harley, but is basically just a 4 pin relay. The way it works is when you get within a certain distance of your vehicle, the key fob you carry in your pocket will automatically transmit and activate the relay. So use that relay to control a larger solenoid, inline with the main cable to the starter from the battery. If you are not near your truck, the starter won't get power. The best part is that unless you saw the relay and solenoid under the truck, it will look perfectly stock. No hidden switches that you have to use, ect.

harry

what I did was get a switch HD switch for napa for a Cat and re did groung wires.
ran up to dash so when you turn off switch you cut ground to truck and if you forget to turn some thing off wont run down batterys , took little work but i think looks like belongs their would be easy to by pass.
Harry

Attachments

Jones

There have been several posts on locks for the engine shut down control and battery isolation switch set-ups; but the bottom line is, if someone's determined enough-- they'll find a way.
The best you can do is to make it more trouble than it's worth so the thieves move on to easier targets.

The steering wheel lock the military uses is a hardened chain attached to an eye bolt in the floor or driver's seat frame that's long enough to loop through the spokes of the steering wheel. Turn full left or right and chain the wheel so it can't be steered.
Only problem with that is... you can still come out of WalMart only to find your duece turning lazy circles in the shopping center parking lot.

scooter01922

I have the ultimate in easy security on mine. Got this tip from builder77 ( RIP) when i got the truck. Lock the passenger side door from the inside, insert a standard 7 foot long cable lock thru the grab handle behind the drivers door. loop it over the mirror bracket in front of the door, lock a padlock on there and you are done. Not only can someone not start your truck they can't even get inside. No mods required, cheap and easy. Sure the door can open all of 2 inches but thats OK by me. If you can't quite picture it i'll take some pics either tomorrow or monday.

tm america

i wired in a key switch in the #10 wire from the starter relay it powers up everything the lights heater start button ignition switch nothing works when key is off no change of someone turning the lights or heater on and killing your battery .i chain the wheel when i'm leaving it somewhere i feel less than good about a fuel cut offf would be a great idea to .if they want it bad enough they will get it but anything helps to stop that

Sumoman

Add a simple switch system, bypass the ignition twice with two other switches concealed in the truck. I did this for my Jeep (for another reason) and it works great. In addition to needing the key for the Jeep if they do not know where the additional bypass switches are they cannot go anywhere.

tm america

ya i like doing two things to disable the same systemwhen they find out how to bypass the first one they feel really stupid when it still wont start. on my tractor i pull the coil wire out on one side and take the rotor with me they put the wire back in place only to still find no spark:-D