• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

antifreeze leaked into starter now problems starting?

Sajer

I had a minor coolant leak that turned major as the crack in my crossover pipe kept getting bigger, I knew it was there, but kept saying i would fix it later. Well the leak got worse and drained down across the starter and soaked it a few times before i replaced the broken pipe. In the meantime my starter was acting funny. It would slowly crank and then fire, acting like the battery was dying. Once started it ran fine, but has gotten worse the last few times i have starter her up.

I checked the batteries and alternators and all were good. Lights do not dim in the least either. So the question is could the coolant leak have caused some issues within the starter?

thanks

Oldfart

Anti-freeze is most often glycol based and it acts like sugar. If the anti-freeze got on the starter bearings and they heated a bit, things would start to caramelize and gum up. The same for anything allowed to soak a while in anti-freeze. It sounds like you need to pull the starter and solenoid so you can check things out. I would look at the contact points, armature bearings and brushes for sure. If anti-freeze gets too hot, it chars and becomes abrasive. Head gaskets that leak between the combustion chamber and coolant passages can cause scoring of the cylinder walls due to the charred ethylene Glycol.

rnd-motorsports

:ditto: and with anti freeze as it drys if you drive on dusty /dirt roads the anti freeze acts as magnet for dirt/dust. Have it checked or it just may need a good cleaning! Take it apart clean everything and if find or see no problems put it together and give it a try! may save a few bucks!

Sajer

It may not be that , but it started to act funny when the coolant leak drenched the starter. I will pull it and clean it up and see. The starter itself looks near new and batteries and alts check out ok.

DeuceDad

I had a minor coolant leak that turned major as the crack in my crossover pipe kept getting bigger, I knew it was there, but kept saying i would fix it later. Well the leak got worse and drained down across the starter and soaked it a few times before i replaced the broken pipe. In the meantime my starter was acting funny. It would slowly crank and then fire, acting like the battery was dying. Once started it ran fine, but has gotten worse the last few times i have starter her up.

I checked the batteries and alternators and all were good. Lights do not dim in the least either. So the question is could the coolant leak have caused some issues within the starter?

thanks

Sajer....do you have any pics of this crossover pipe? I may be dealing with the same issue as I notice coolant on the ground and evidence of it on my starter as well. It is obvious to see this pipe? I am a newbie at the deuce and appreciate all help I can get. Thanks.

kassim503

I would take a serious look at the starter solenoid & the starter b+ cable, they arent all that hard to figure out once you pull them apart. Google does not offer very much on this subject, but if you get stuck I could help document a 10MT or 28MT starter teardown & ressambly. (Very similar to the 27MT delco's that came with the truck, or the gear reduction version if it has been replaced)