• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Antifreeze PH level correcting it

zxmedic

I did a quick search, didn't find much on the topic. None the less, I picked up some universal test strips and checked my antifreeze and found it to be at a PH of 9, which under10 is when electrolysis can begin. The PH should be 10 or better now you can fix this by doing a Complete coolant change or you can add Dca4 additive for 45 quarts you need 15 units or three pints at a cost of around $20 pretty easy cheap fix.

Attachments

Jeepsinker

There are many manufacturers that make similar products of good quality. I have a bottle of Hastings diesel coolant additive on the shelf in the shop. Still, thank you for broaching the subject.

zxmedic

There are many manufacturers that make similar products of good quality. I have a bottle of Hastings diesel coolant additive on the shelf in the shop. Still, thank you for broaching the subject.
Up in canada I was having trouble finding much on different brands fleetgaurd was the only other product I could find available.

Jeepsinker

I failed to realize you were north of the border! Definitely search Hastings Products though. They are a well established company as far as quality and (here) availability.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is good info. I have checked two of my trucks, one was ok the other needs some work on. I may just change out the coolant for now.
The Ph was a little high like yours.

zxmedic

That is good info. I have checked two of my trucks, one was ok the other needs some work on. I may just change out the coolant for now.
The Ph was a little high like yours.
Your Ph should be 10 or higher to keep electrolysis from starting ,9 was to low hence I corrected it adding the dca4 which is a alkyl based additive.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you change the coolant, consider going to an ELC type. I change my trucks over to Rotella ELC when I get them. You don't need the supplemental SCA additives with Rotella ELC. Last I bought was in 2013 and the concentrate was $20 a gallon. You need 4 gallons of coolant (depending on system capacity) and add 4 gallons of distilled water to get a 50% concentration. You can buy the coolant at a 50% concentration if you want to do it that way.

Also buy about 20 gallons of distilled water to flush the cooling system. I flush the system with tap water until it's clear and then flush a couple of times with distilled water before I put in the new coolant.