• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any ideas on a CTIS wheel balancer...

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any ideas on a CTIS wheel balancer...

I thought some where there was a thread on a A3 wheel balancer. Since the A3 has CTIS the wheel is not balanced. 1/3rd of the wheel has the heavy metal cover plate. This just seems wrong. Is there such an animal made to balance out the blank spot...........?

Rustygears

There is a counterbalance weight mounted opposite on one of the rim studs. It does balance out the cover and the plumbing and the wheel valve. While not perfect, it certainly improves the balance over what is being suggested.

There have been many prior threads on balancing A3 wheels using external weights, extra lug nuts on the studs for the rim halves and even internal shot. Search and ye shall find.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wheel half studs, not lugs, are long enough you can easliy add weight all the way around the outer perimeter. With the CTIS components removed, you may not need to balance it at all.

Attachments

Last edited:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a counterbalance weight mounted opposite on one of the rim studs. It does balance out the cover and the plumbing and the wheel valve. While not perfect, it certainly improves the balance over what is being suggested.

There have been many prior threads on balancing A3 wheels using external weights, extra lug nuts on the studs for the rim halves and even internal shot. Search and ye shall find.
I did 2-3 searches, came up dry. I'm taking delivery on an A3 and was making a punch list. Good looking out..!

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wheel half studs, not lugs, are long enough you can easily add weight all the way around the outer perimeter. With the CTIS components removed, you may not need to balance it at all.
Good point. It does make the truck look better. Just found out on the back side it's taken care of. I guess I will fix the plumbing or remove it. I was thinking of wheel lock out's. Jtonka has the quality ones. I saw one the other day it was chrome and had red 4X4 printed on it. Just looked wrong.

Last edited:

trukhead

I was thinking of getting the end of an rear axle and welding it to a stand. I would take apart the bearing and super clean it and pack it with petroleum jelly for minimal rolling resistance.

Just mount a wheel and let it roll to the heavy spot an add weight until it comes to a stop at random positions.

:grd:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking .........
think again... because it won't work well using the stock roller bearings, no matter how "lightly" you lube them... (been there, done that...!)
You need a hub and adapt relative small ball-bearings, and mount it on a custom spindle - not that difficult.
For reference, see my M35 "drum/wheel/tire-balancing device" here.

BTW, I have been using that same method for all my vehicles, since my first set of Cepek's 40" Mud Country II, on my '78 CJ7 (wow, that was exactly 30 years ago...!)

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks