• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any tips on removing upper torque rods?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read the Tm's , bought a 12 pound sledge(two pounds over the TM and still no joy)
Cannot loosen the uppers. The lowers are easy following the TM pound on the bottom of the bracket, the Uppers don't want to move with a bar and sledge.

Any suggestions?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saw one suggestion in there that might help. Guess I have to buy a Porta power now and give that a shot. I've tried 2lb sledge, heat,12lb sledge, comealong with heat and 12lb sledge. This sucker does not want to move! If the porta power doesn't work I guess I'm at the mercy of a shop.

I was looking around for a rental place to get a slide sledge, that looks like the real ticket, but can't find any local or on the net in MN.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sadly I'm not that indepth with tooling. No welder or torch yet in my inventory, that would be take it to the shop territory at this point. Propane torch is as close as I have currently. Good point though. Thanks.

dittle

The propane torch won't be able to get it hot enough due to the amount of metal you're trying to heat. Acetelyne torch is about the only thing that will get hot enough. I doubt a MAPP gas torch will even get hot enough.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The propane torch won't be able to get it hot enough due to the amount of metal you're trying to heat. Acetelyne torch is about the only thing that will get hot enough. I doubt a MAPP gas torch will even get hot enough.
NOT fair, you type faster than I do, there again, most type faster then I do.

rizzo

what are you hitting with the hammer? I took a bottom arm off by hitting the outer mount (the part attached to the axle). The vibrations did the work. Just as my arm was getting tired and I was thinking about quitting, the thing just popped apart. An old truck mechanic told me to do that. he says it works with all tapered setups.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
what are you hitting with the hammer? I took a bottom arm off by hitting the outer mount (the part attached to the axle). The vibrations did the work. Just as my arm was getting tired and I was thinking about quitting, the thing just popped apart. An old truck mechanic told me to do that. he says it works with all tapered setups.
I also did the same with the lowers and the upper at the axle(Tm's show this). There's nothing to hit with the uppers besides the threaded end/nut on the end where you have to take the leaf spring shackle off. The Tm's say to use a 2" rod and 10lb sledge on the nut/threaded end after evening up the nut.

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well that explains it then. I'm at the point of poisoning myself with the smell of burnt rubber.... LOL

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tapered pins?

I'm no mechanic but had to do some Torsion bar removal being assisted by one.

Obviously, take all the weight off the pins. Lube is good.

If it's a tapered pin mechanic Rollie says if you can 'love beat' the bracket that the tapered pin goes into, apparently physics tells them to come out.

A small sledge and just a consistent easy hit over and over and over until gravity causes it to fall on your head.

I know yours is in a different spot then in the photo but hopefully it's the same idea.

Additionally you can put a little pressure around the knuckle either with ratchet straps, hydraulic jack, come along or log leverage if you do it in the bush.

I beat on the end of the pin (wrong) on the torsion bars (wrong) with a hammer fork (wrong) until a guy 20 years older then I am told me to move over.

As the photo shows he hammered the mounting bracket, without much effort and just got it done......... so just get it done. Good luck.

Attachments

baxter

When we did the last 3 trucks bushings we would set a small sledge up against the threaded end and then hit it with the big hammer so you have a larger area to hit, didnt have one that didnt just pop out. good luck.

Vaughn

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When we did the last 3 trucks bushings we would set a small sledge up against the threaded end and then hit it with the big hammer so you have a larger area to hit, didnt have one that didnt just pop out. good luck.

Vaughn
I'll give that a shot! Thanks. Kinda hard hitting a small bar with a large sledge. EDIT: SUCCESS!!!! I owe you a beer!!!! Edit: 2nd upper out! 2 Done, 1 upper to go in. Then I gotta do the middle axle other side, and I'll be good to go for now. The last two lowers can wait for my convenience. Can't thank you enough Baxter, that's the way to go. I didn't even realize the 2nd upper was loose. My wife was holding the smaller sledge, I gave up hitting it. Went around to the other side with a crowbar to pound on the mount a little, the dogbone was loose, don't know how long I was hitting it when it was already popped!

Last edited:

baxter

Glad it worked we've gotten the process down to where we can do the entire truck in under 3hrs. It sure made my truck track better with new bushings.

Vaughn

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks